Terrorists Could Be Your Next Door Neighbor... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-16-2005, 05:35 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 02:24 AM
This little anomoly is a product of a government with too little information about passangers and a system that requires examination from the 40,000' level (to avoid any appearance of profiling).
__________________

__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 08-16-2005, 05:35 AM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I think that the current system is more inept than unjust,
In a free country such as the US, an inept system is unjust.

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer

not like it makes that much of a difference anyway, nobody could hijack a plane today ~ passengers would probably jump a team of hijackers before they had a chance to cause any real damage.
People had similar thought processes before 9/11 too. Once you start thinking that way, the enemy will find a new way in.



Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer

Mass transit and carbombs ~ they are the soft spots of any metropolis.
I think this is true, although you could never get the same results as a 9/11.
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 08-16-2005, 05:38 AM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
As opposed to wasting time checking out little Suzy, dear old Aunt Gladys or Ted Kennedy ~ as I said there are any number of factors, sex and age could significantly slash the fluff, religion would be the furthur degree ~ race is more or less useless.
Problem is as soon as you profile Muslim men, they they'll start to recruit women.

Profiling has never and will never work.

I love how those that always support profiling are those that are always safe from it.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 08-16-2005, 05:45 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 08:24 PM
How am I safe from it ~ I am male aged 15 - 50, I could easily be a bomber given the right convergence of events? Exclusive profiling is too narrow, if there is a system where if you stick Muslim on your religion ID card then you will profiled these men will just stick a different religion. Religious profiling would create a blind spot, but sex and age are much more effective.

Profilling the young and the elderly and (generally) women would be a waste of time.
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 08-16-2005, 05:50 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 08:24 PM
Quote:
Profiling has never and will never work.
And this statement is being based on what exactly?
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 08-16-2005, 05:52 AM   #21
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 09:24 PM
A_W have you been following certain news stories lately in exceptionally crappy media outlets about certain groups here specifically?
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 08-16-2005, 05:58 AM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
How am I safe from it
Quote:
Maybe a bit of religious profiling could do the job a lot better;
You said it, I'm not making up shit.



Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer

Profilling the young and the elderly and (generally) women would be a waste of time.
I would think finding someone who's lost their child to a US occupation and doesn't have much "life left to live", would be an ideal canidate for recruitment.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 08-16-2005, 06:03 AM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
And this statement is being based on what exactly?
Well show me where it has worked.

Here in the US where areas admitted to profiling for gang violence, gang violence wasn't reduced. I grew up in an area that had curfews in public places for certain ages and they haven't reported less crime and curfews have been in effect for over a decade now.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 08-16-2005, 06:05 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 08:24 PM
Quote:
I would think finding someone who's lost their child to a US occupation and doesn't have much "life left to live", would be an ideal canidate for recruitment.
Yes maybe in a hollywood movie but statistically it just does not happen!

International Islamist (not marxist, not nationalist) terrorists are generally male, middle class / wealthy and educated individuals who are driven by religious fervour.
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 08-16-2005, 06:07 AM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Yes maybe in a hollywood movie but statistically it just does not happen!

International Islamist (not marxist, not nationalist) terrorists are generally male, middle class / wealthy and educated individuals who are driven by religious fervour.
It's called sleight of hand. Once you start to single out one group, they will figure it out and find a way around it. If you give them a reason to recruit this demographic they will.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 08-16-2005, 06:08 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 11:24 AM
When I worked in banking, we were given lists of these terrorists and had to freeze accounts if we found a match.

One of the problems was, as another poster pointed out, if the info on the list is incomplete it is difficult to find out if you have a genuine match or not.

As for profiling I dunno where I stand on that one to be honest. I can see both sides of the debate.
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 08-16-2005, 06:14 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
When I worked in banking, we were given lists of these terrorists and had to freeze accounts if we found a match.
Here in the U.S., it's called OFAC, and I've skimmed through the entire list myself when I was in banking. I'd say 75% of the list is organizations and businesses, with the other 25% being rather high profile terrorists or war criminals.

In other words, it's a lot more targeted than, say, a "no-fly list." Green Party members can end up on a "no-fly list"--and have--whereas OFAC is generally restricted to only the most unquestioningly bad people.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 08-16-2005, 06:22 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Here in the U.S., it's called OFAC, and I've skimmed through the entire list myself when I was in banking. I'd say 75% of the list is organizations and businesses, with the other 25% being rather high profile terrorists or war criminals.
Yeah I know. Initially we did it semi-manually but thankfully moved to a more automated way of doing it.
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 08-16-2005, 07:21 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 10:24 AM
I can't believe this. Babies? Yeah, they're a real threat.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 08-16-2005, 01:00 PM   #30
The Fly
 
Sonoftelepunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 90
Local Time: 05:24 AM
How about this: One of the parents of a young child is a terrorist. They know that their name is on the watch list so they have another lesser known extremist put an explosive vest on the child. If airport security went by a more 'sensitive' approach, they'd let the baby pass without any questioning why the child's name is on the watch list. Hmm, could it be that the child's parent is a terrorist and they might use their own child as a method to get around the security of the airport? Noo, of course not. That'd be crazy. And we all know that terrorists are rational and moral.
__________________

__________________
Sonoftelepunk is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com