Sydney Riots - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2005, 06:21 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:19 AM
Sydney Riots

Quote:
Racial violence erupts in Sydney
Police confront youths at Cronulla Beach, Sydney
There were angry confrontations between police and youths
Thousands of young white men have converged on Cronulla Beach in Sydney, Australia, and attacked people of Arabic and Mediterranean background.

Police and ambulance officers were pelted with beer cans and bottles, and an ambulance was attacked.

Several people were injured in the alcohol-fuelled violence, and at least 12 were arrested.

The authorities have condemned the outbreak of racial violence as "not the Australian way".

By Sunday night, the violence appeared to have spread to a second beach suburb, Maroubra, where men armed with baseball bats reportedly attacked cars.

And police said a man was stabbed in the back in south Sydney in what media reports said appeared to be further racial violence.

The clashes follow assaults a week ago on two volunteer lifeguards at the southern Sydney beach, reportedly by youths of Arabic and Mediterranean backgrounds.

Mobile phone text messages began circulating after the beatings, encouraging people to retaliate on Sunday and employing racial slurs.

'Not Australian'

Police Assistant Commissioner Mark Goodwin said innocent people had been targeted.

"The behaviour that's been seen down here at Cronulla today is nothing short of disgusting and disgraceful," he said. "It's certainly not the Australian way."

Sections of the media took this issue far too far, and one can only surmise that the way these issues was dealt with on talk-back radio amounts to incitement
Keysar Trad, Islamic Friendship Association of Australia

The area's Mayor, Kevin Schreiber, accused the mob of looking for a fight.

"As mayor and as a resident of Cronulla, I'm devastated by what has occurred on our beachfront," he said.

"It is the actions of a few, but let's not kid ourselves that people didn't come from far and wide to participate."

The president of the Islamic Friendship Association of Australia, Keysar Trad, accused the media of whipping up racial tension.

"Sections of the media took this issue far too far, and one can only surmise that the way these issues was dealt with on talk-back radio amounts to incitement," he said.

Sydney has many beaches, but Cronulla is one of a few that is easily accessible by train and is often visited by young people from the poorer suburbs of western and southern Sydney.

Area residents accuse the visitors of being disrespectful and of sometimes intimidating other beach-goers.

Old 12-12-2005, 06:34 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 04:19 PM
I think that is just disgusting!!

Australia is truly a beautiful country and its ethnic diversity is what makes it so special. Its such a shame that there are people even there who show no tolerance for others different than them.

I hope these riots will not be as horrible as the Paris ones.

Old 12-12-2005, 06:39 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:19 PM
It's the single most fucking disgusting thing I've ever seen in this country. I'm dead tired, I'll write more tomorrow.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:39 AM   #4
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 03:19 AM
I agree Earnie. I saw it on the news tonight and i thought WHAT THE FUCK?! I love being a multicultural society, and even though sometimes there are problems, there are problems with EVERY society.

I heard tonight there was a big blockage of people in front of a mosque in Sydney or something. I mean COME ON. This is just stupid, its just young people, bored shitless trying to stir up trouble. I hope they all get big fucking fines and 2 weeks in jail to calm the hell down! I mean, saying 'hey let us aussies get the masos, serbs, lebbos etc etc' its like DUR 90% of them were born in australia too, and you act like they arn't...

gah, i cant properly put into words what im trying to say, but i think its stupid to all of a sudden have this big racial divide over NOTHING!
Old 12-12-2005, 08:41 AM   #5
The Fly

What makes me even more disgusted is that every middle eastern person spotted is beaten in sight! Heck, even police and the ambulance crew are given blows and flying bottles!

Like dazzlingamy, I truly love being in a multicultural society (I’m Vietnamese-Australian, I got no choice), and it pains me to think that this incident will add more fuel to the “down with multiculturalism – up with assimilation/white Australia policy” crowd.

In my view, we’re probably in for one of the biggest racial crises in Australian history.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:18 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:19 AM
Presenting John Howard's take!

Quote:
Australians racist? No way, says Howard
By Anne Davies and Stephanie Peatling
December 13, 2005

THE Prime Minister, John Howard, has played down claims that racism fuelled the weekend riots, putting him at odds with the NSW Premier, the Police Commissioner and many community leaders.

"Mob violence is always sickening and always to be unconditionally condemned," he said. "Attacking people on the basis of their race, their appearance, their ethnicity, is totally unacceptable and should be repudiated by all Australians, irrespective of their own background and irrespective of their politics."

But he said the riots were primarily a "law and order issue".

"I do not accept that there is underlying racism in this country. I have always taken a more optimistic view of the character of the Australian people. I do not believe Australians are racist."

But the Premier, Morris Iemma, condemned the weekend riots as "un-Australian". "What it showed on the weekend was the ugly face of racism in this country," he said.

"There is no way this disgraceful behaviour will be tolerated anywhere, not in Cronulla, not in Maroubra , not anywhere."

The Minister for Police, Carl Scully, said there appeared to have been an element of white supremacists inciting the weekend violence, and that their attitudes had no place in mainstream Australian society.

"Those sort of characters are better placed in Berlin circa 1930, not Cronulla 2005," he said.

Mr Howard rejected suggestions that his stance on Iraq or the recent emphasis on the threat of "home-grown terrorism" could have contributed to the weekend tensions.

"It's impossible to know how individuals react, but everything that this Government has said about home-grown terrorism has been totally justified," he said.

"To suggest that one should remain silent on something like that, knowing what I know, because that might antagonise somebody else is a complete failure of leadership," he said.

But one of Mr Howard's backbenchers, the Liberal MP Bruce Baird, whose south-eastern Sydney seat takes in Cronulla, blamed the riots on simmering racial tensions that finally spilled over following the September 11 attacks, the Bali bombings and the gang rape trials.

"I think there's been increasing emphasis on terrorism and our security," Mr Baird told ABC radio.

"There has been high-profile rape cases in Sydney, and of course the Sutherland Shire itself is very much an Anglo-Celtic enclave … I can understand at one level people's frustration because they all feel that the beaches belong to them and it is a Sutherland Shire thing and when anybody disturbs the equilibrium, given all the events that have happened since September 11, I just think that's the match that sets alight the fuel."

The Federal Opposition Leader, Kim Beazley, also played down the racial motivation of the riots.

"It's just criminal behaviour," Mr Beazley said. "Australian multiculturalism is alive and well. Just take a look a few weeks ago [with] the response to Australia's World Cup win."

The State Opposition leader, Peter Debnam, reiterated that the Government's soft approach had failed. "Local communities know public order has been breaking down for years - but not according to the Labor Government. That is the problem."
I'm sorry but I don't think you can start anything like that without any underlying resentment of some sort, no matter how stupid it is. To deny there's a problem only makes it worse.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:41 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

I have a cousin in Australia. I'm really sorry this stuff is going on there, it's ugly.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:48 AM   #8
The Fly

Local Time: 08:19 AM
So sorry to read about the riots!

So. California is facing the possibility of huge rioting over the next few days due to the probable lethal injection of ex Crips leader Tookie Williams.

It is all now in the decision of Gov. Arnold Schwatzenegger.

Prayers for Los Angeles are needed now!

God bless.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:30 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:19 AM
The Herd's song, '77%' came to mind as I read this article.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:44 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

It is rather curious that countries like the United States and Australia have White Nationalist movements. Can anyone shed any light on this phenomenon?
Old 12-12-2005, 03:54 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
It is rather curious that countries like the United States and Australia have White Nationalist movements. Can anyone shed any light on this phenomenon?

wait until europe starts to reach levels of diversity comparable with that of the US and Australia.

then it will start to make sense.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:17 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
wait until europe starts to reach levels of diversity comparable with that of the US and Australia.

That is not my point. Parts of Britain, France and Germany already do have levels of diversity comparable with the US and Australia. Australia and the USA were not originally white countries so White Nationalists in those countries appear to defy logic and commensense.

Europe is originally white so White Nationalism makes some kind of sense. Not that I support it or anything.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:19 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by yertle-the-turtle
Presenting John Howard's take!
No thanks.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:25 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

That is not my point. Parts of Britain, France and Germany already do have levels of diversity comparable with the US and Australia. Australia and the USA were not originally white countries so White Nationalists in those countries appear to defy logic and commensense.

Europe is originally white so White Nationalism makes some kind of sense. Not that I support it or anything.

no, you really can't compare, yet, the US to Europe. the US is roughly 70% white; the most diverse country in Europe, the UK, is still 90% white. many American cities are have majority non-white populations, and i believe California is now officially a state without a majority racial population (i.e., no one racial category holds 50% or more of the population).

White Nationalism, and/or white separatism, advocate not genocide or necessarily that white people are superior to other races. they simply want what might be known as a "white homeland" where people are all of caucasian descent. however, what is, i think, unique to the US (and perhaps Australia) is that it is the langauge that arises when one lives in a multi-cultural society that gives birth to some of these movements. white nationalism is sometimes decribed as a reaction by whites who believe they are disenfranchised by the rise of liberal multicultural ideologies based around tolerance and inclusiveness. i also think it differes in that, in Europe, white nationalism is almost a redundancy -- nationlism in Germany, France, the UK, etc., works under an assumption of whiteness, at least as nationalism is traditionally understood. because in the US race is divorced from nationalism -- to be a bit patriotic, one of the best things about the US, imho, in that patriotism is different from nationalism because the nation is predicated upon being from many nations, and therefore many ethnicities, religions, and races -- the term "white nationalism" comes into being because those who are white wish to live separately from other races.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:13 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

What about Canada?

The UN declared Toronto the most multicultural city in the world (surpassing NYC, interestingly). And we do not have comparable elements here, at least not that prominently.