Stephen Hawking on Space Colonisation - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2006, 12:27 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
it's amazing what central planning, combined with no democracy, can do.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:37 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:55 AM
^ indeed.

[q]George Bush: "If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier - just so long I'm the dictator." December 18, 2000[/q]

Old 06-14-2006, 03:18 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 01:55 PM
Although there are theory's about getting around the Universal speed limit of 186,000 miles per second, right now, that is as fast as anything can go, and the only think we know travels that fast is light. If your lucky, you may be able to build a spaceship that can hold a few people that could reach a spead of about half that. Add in the time that it would take to reach that spead, as well as decelerate, and it would probably take two decades to make it to the nearest star, which has no habitable planets if any planets at all.

The fact is, will be lucky if there are 10 planets(with all the right stuff, Solar System orbit etc etc) in the entire Galaxy that could suit our needs, and the nearest one is probably over 1,000 light years away! Rare Earth indeed!
Old 06-14-2006, 04:31 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:55 AM
If anyone would like to do a little advance scouting of our solar system, the Milky Way or entire other galaxies, here's the best site. Amazing stuff.

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/

And I think it’s gonna be a long long time...
Old 06-14-2006, 04:54 PM   #20
The Fly

This is a nice idea and I'm sure it will happen someday but I read in a recent issue of Popular Science the problems with travelling to other planets. Just getting humans to Mars would take a year and a half or more in travel time and the problem is radiation. The astronauts would be subjected to massive amounts of it. Until they can come up with a feasible way to protect humans during space travel, nothing like this will happen. The article explained several ways to either protect from or counteract the effects of radiation to humans, but they would be extremely expensive and not feasible at this time. That said, I'd like to go to Mars

Or maybe we should take care of this planet better? Hmmm? Nice idea, no?
Old 06-14-2006, 04:55 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

what are we waiting for?

Old 06-14-2006, 05:23 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

^ One thing is for certain: there is no stopping them; the ants will soon be here. And I for one welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted TV personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.

(p.s. -- have the Rolling Stones killed)
Old 06-14-2006, 08:21 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Maoilbheannacht
Although there are theory's about getting around the Universal speed limit of 186,000 miles per second, right now, that is as fast as anything can go, and the only think we know travels that fast is light.
Well, here's where we get into a whole bunch of arcane science theory, but, in short, time dilation would make it theoretically possible for a space traveller to circumnavigate the entire known universe in a lifetime with a constant 1g acceleration.

Of course, the major twist of time dilation is that while you could travel the universe in a lifetime, billions of years would pass in the meantime and there'd really be no point to travelling those kinds of distances to anyone except the traveller himself--i.e., there'd be no one left on Earth to share the information with, assuming that even the universe still exists.

That aside, it's believed that the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light, so there is something that goes faster than light...heh.

Melon
Old 06-14-2006, 09:09 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:55 PM
Energy restrictions put any interstellar travel out of reach for the forseeable future, but in shorter term (i.e. over the next 50 years) the idea of a space elevator is not entirely crazy - and it would dramatically reduce the payload costs to get the materials.

I wonder what economic mineral potential there is on planets without active plate tectonism

Because unless it can make it's own money directly then it will always be impossible, a privately funded space elevator would be probably be a short term monopoly for launches if it ever came to be.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:19 PM   #25
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:55 AM
I used to disagree with space travel and such. Now, however, I'm all for everyone who's dead keen to launch themselves off into orbit. I'll even wave goodbye. Then those who remain can go about cleaning up this beautiful planet and we can ensure we dont screw it up any further.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:38 PM   #26
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Well, here's where we get into a whole bunch of arcane science theory, but, in short, time dilation would make it theoretically possible for a space traveller to circumnavigate the entire known universe in a lifetime with a constant 1g acceleration.

Of course, the major twist of time dilation is that while you could travel the universe in a lifetime, billions of years would pass in the meantime and there'd really be no point to travelling those kinds of distances to anyone except the traveller himself--i.e., there'd be no one left on Earth to share the information with, assuming that even the universe still exists.

That aside, it's believed that the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light, so there is something that goes faster than light...heh.

Melon
Wow, that is a very cool theory. Then you read the practical problems of actually implementing it and realize that its not possible, at least based on what we know now and what would be required to transport humans in space at such speeds and the problems that go with that. Its still a fascinating theory though.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:52 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I used to disagree with space travel and such. Now, however, I'm all for everyone who's dead keen to launch themselves off into orbit. I'll even wave goodbye. Then those who remain can go about cleaning up this beautiful planet and we can ensure we dont screw it up any further.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:36 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
bush wants a colony on the moon, and manned flights to mars....

he should be the first to go