Star Trek's 7 of 9 and Senator Kerry = Potential Problem - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2004, 12:31 PM   #16
Jesus Online

Local Time: 01:12 PM
And sorry Dread, nbc did explain it a little better
I wasn't really sure where you were heading initially...

Old 06-29-2004, 12:32 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
His marriage is not really anyone's business. A divorce even less so.

Dont you find it a little stomach churning that some people out there want to know details of someone's personal life? Is nothing sacred? Whatever happened in his marriage would have absolutely no consequence on his ability to run your country. Though I question whether he can, his marriage is not anyone's business.
I agree with this in principle, however, a precident has now been set legally. And it was used against a darn good candidate for Senate. Should you allow your political enemies to use things that have knocked out a candidate, and then hold back? I do not think that is quiite fair.

Politics is sickening at times. On that we can agree.

Old 06-29-2004, 12:36 PM   #18
Jesus Online

Local Time: 01:12 PM
Well if Kerry can swallow this, more fool him.

But I still reckon the precedent should never have been set in the first place. So perhaps it is only fair that now it will come back to bite him in the arse.

What's good for the goose etc.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:40 PM   #19
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:12 PM
I'm not sure I agree with that ruling. Divorce records, I think, ought to remain sealed in cases like these; they can be so messy and painful, and there's no reason for people to know most of this stuff.

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:59 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

The precedent was wrong. That divorce should never have been unsealed and the judge should have some explaining to do. Pity it wont happen.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:59 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:12 PM
What really bothers me about the release of the divorce records is that they contain unsubstantiated accusations. Frequently in custody battles, parties will paint the ex spouse in a negative light, much of which is unsupportable.

We never learn from the story of Pandora's box.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:13 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
And it was used against a darn good candidate for Senate. Should you allow your political enemies to use things that have knocked out a candidate, and then hold back? I do not think that is quiite fair.

Politics is sickening at times. On that we can agree.

WHOA WHOA WHOA....hold your horses folks.

Lets make sure we are ALL informed on exactly what happend here in Illinois with this court case.

First, it was a television station AND the Chicago Tribune (a traditionally REPUBLICAN newspaper based in aa VERY liberal camp) who sued to have the divorce records opened. They won the suit.

The judge weighed the concern of the parents for their son against the need to have NORMALLY public records remain public. The judge (I need to double check this, but I beleive it was a California judge...so again...not related to Illinois politics, no matter how dirty they are) ruled that it the public right to know was more important than the child's protection in this case (take that for what it is worth).

Divorce files released, and then the CHICAGO TRIBUNE really drops the ball. They placed a strong, super big and bold headline (I bought the paper, and thought "WTF" - but can't remember what is was now) on the top fold. The article, and the facts found in the divorce files really did not support the headline. The Trib screwed up! The Reader Representative (Ombudsman) wrote a column agreeing with a number of complaints that were e-mailed, called, etc. etc. to the paper that day. But, what are the repurcussions for that??? none.

Now....the Tribune is not the only one to point a finger at. Before the November Primary here in Illinois, there were three or four strong Republican candidates. One of the other candidates had his divorce records unsealed, and it revealed some spouse abuse. Not good. The Republicans went to Ryan and asked him about his sealed divorce papers...and he told them that there wasn't anything damaging in them. So, when the files were opened and there was something that was "somewhat" damaging, the State Republican leaders were a little pissed, and called for his resignation.

So, as always, before you start throwing barbs around, make sure you know the whole story.

Ryan was a solid candidate. BUT BUT BUT......I really doubt he would be able to beat Barack Obama, the Democratic Candidate. This guy is the REAL THING. I cannot WAIT for him to hit the national scene.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:38 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 06:12 PM
Excellent post, zoney!

And let's also not forget that it was Ryan himself who opened up the issue of how someone's personal life relates to their politics by pulling stunts like this.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:53 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!
So, as always, before you start throwing barbs around, make sure you know the whole story.

SO basically somehow what I typed is wrong? I have not thrown barbs around. I do not care how "liberal" a newspaper appears to be, I have read enough to know that they are not near the center.

As for what I typed I sadi political enemies. I did not say Republican or Democrat. By your post, I am somehow supposed to admit I was wrong why? A reporter, or newspaper cannot be a political enemy?

Sorry, I fail to see what I have said that deserves a hold the horses and the comment posted above.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:35 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

well, I see a lot of facts missing from a story you are trying to tell.

Go reread my post. I said that the Chicago Tribune is REPUBLICAN NEWSPAPER. I think I even did it in caps like that. You are now calling them liberal. Being a REPUBLICAN newspaper would make them more RIGHT of the center.

Second point...his mislead his OWN party. Shot himself in the foot. The Illinois Republicans asked him to step down. It wasn't the article/newspaper/TV station forcing him out...it was his own party. The sex allegations themselves are worth very little...you even said that.

Go ahead...reread.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:43 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

To quote the intelligent members of the forum...its his personal sex life. Not anyone elses business.

The Boston herald is the "republican" paper here in Boston. That puts them just shy of communist.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:51 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Kerry's divorce was a long time ago and had a different judge. The Ryans' divorce is in the present. Secondly, it was up to the discretion of the judge, and if the Ryans wished to appeal the ruling, they could have; however, they declined, in spite of their right to appeal, and let the records be released. That is their own fault.

This whole thread is, frankly, stupid. This, and several other anti-Kerry threads in here seem to be the equivalent of grasping for straws, when, clearly, you already hate Kerry, although I'm not completely sure *why* yet. I know why most here hate Bush, whether it be his ineloquence or his lying to justify the war in Iraq.

But, really, I'm not quite sure as to the purpose of this thread, except to be petty.

(And, to clarify, I don't mean any of this personally. )

Melon
Old 06-29-2004, 04:56 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

wink that demoral is really messing with you

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
To quote the intelligent members of the forum...its his personal sex life. Not anyone elses business.
So now you are calling me "not intelligent?"
Old 06-29-2004, 05:11 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

But, really, I'm not quite sure as to the purpose of this thread, except to be petty.

(And, to clarify, I don't mean any of this personally. )

Melon
You could make it personal if you want

The purpose of the thread was NOT to bash Kerry. If that is what you think, then you are sorely mistaken.

#1 I think sealed records should remain sealed.
#2 I think it was a mistake to unseal the Ryans records.
#3 I think it is opening up a door that should not be opened.
#4 I think Kerry is going to have to fight to keep his sealed.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:14 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: that demoral is really messing with you

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!

So now you are calling me "not intelligent?"
you are reading that much into something I typed, I can only say no, that is not what I was saying....

But, whenever Clinton's sex life has been brought up in here, it has been said "Its his personal life."

The Ryan's had it sealed. Political enemies had it unsealed. He was forced out because of it.