Springsteen Interview on "Vote for Change" Tour - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2004, 05:40 PM   #76
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:30 PM
True.
Even if you've been unable to see a live show of U2 or Bruce, Bono's rant on the lack of gun control in America on the Boston DVD or Bullet should have clued one in.

PS also - Klaus German? Beer?

Old 08-10-2004, 06:01 PM   #77
The Fly

Local Time: 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn

Then would you go to a U2 show or a regular Pearl Jam one?
I have seen U2 10 times. Pearl Jam once (PJ is in my top 5 concerts I have EVER seen). PJ is an amazing band. They rocked! Eddie said a few things during the show that were political, but not directed at a person. It didn't bother me. I just shrugged it off. Strangers sitting around me, though, would say 'Oh, shut up!', but confessed they had seen them 5 times on that tour.

U2 will insert political statements in their live show as well, i.e. Charlton Heston clip, or Bono altering lyrics...things like that. Again, doesn't bother me too much. I will continue to see PJ, and Dave, and definitely U2 regardless, because musically they are the best bands in the world. I just won't on this tour these artists are putting together, because of its purpose more than anything. It is a turn off...

Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn

This also begs the sub-question. Is music entertainment? Or is it also self-expression/art for some?
Yes, it is both. But there is a fine line an artist walks to express a point of view that could alienate a lot of their fans.

Old 08-10-2004, 06:45 PM   #78
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by swizzlestick
Yes, it is both. But there is a fine line an artist walks to express a point of view that could alienate a lot of their fans.
Shall I derail this thread or take the risk that someone else will do it? OK, I'll stay nice on this one.
Because, I have to say I largely disagree with you here. I think music is much, much more a case of self-expression as it is of entertainment. At least, for the artists you and I mostly listen to (I think). There are many, many great songs where the artist is just screaming, wailing, whining, ranting, rambling, crying, overflowing with joy, being confused, etc. without any regard to entertainment. Their self-expression is what makes it interesting, not whether or not it 'entertains'. I also see many live shows this way, with an artist wanting to express him/herself, telling a story through the setlist and not just to entertain.

*is thinking about a comment to put this thread on track again...*

Vote Springsteen for President of the E Street Band!

C ya!

Marty
Old 08-10-2004, 07:02 PM   #79
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:30 PM
I think if an artist feels strongly enough about an issue, they will express their opinion and screw the fallout.

By the way Mellencamp joined the group today but I haven't seen wheich venue he will be playing.