Spending by the EU on AIDS in Africa - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2003, 03:43 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:12 AM
Does the fact that it's funded by the British state and so mandated to be unbiased (in so far as reporting free of bias is possible) help you believe the BBC's reporting is less biased than that of, for example, Fox News?

Old 07-18-2003, 03:47 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by wolfwill23
This does not help me believe that the BBC's reporting is unbiased.
If you're truly interested in an intellectual discussion of the notion of "bias" and "objectivity" you might want to take a look at this recent FYM thread

Old 07-18-2003, 04:37 PM   #18
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Rono
Just wait for the elections here in Europe,...beautifull promises will apearing here also,....
Very sad .... but absolute truth!
Old 07-22-2003, 10:18 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:12 AM
this znet article discusses the bush administrations promotion of genetically modified foods. in this section the link between genetically modified foods and 'the United States Leadership Against HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria Act of 2003' bill is explained

Quote:
The US has therefore found a way out to force the African countries into submission. The US Senate has passed a Bill "the United States Leadership Against HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria Act of 2003," (HR 1298)", which in a diplomatic way (calling it as `sense of Congress') links financial aid for combating HIV AIDS with GM food acceptance. Section 104A states that "individuals infected with HIV have higher nutritional requirements than individuals who are not infected with HIV, particularly with respect to the need for protein. Also, there is evidence to suggest that the full benefit of therapy to treat HIV/AIDS may not be achieved in individuals who are malnourished, particularly in pregnant and lactating women.
The next sentence reads: "It is therefore the sense of Congress that the US food assistance should be accepted by countries with large populations of individuals infected or living with HIV/AIDS, particularly African countries, in order to help feed such individuals."
american spending is not without its self serving benefits.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:36 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi
this znet article discusses the bush administrations promotion of genetically modified foods. in this section the link between genetically modified foods and 'the United States Leadership Against HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria Act of 2003' bill is explained

american spending is not without its self serving benefits.
They just looking for a way to sell their Genetic engeneerd food,...nobody else want to have it.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:45 PM   #21
New Yorker

They also have to promise not to use generic AIDS pharmacuticals for their people, basically wiping out the good the US money could do.
Got to look after one of his biggest contributors.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:50 PM   #22
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Rono:
The WTO forces the EU to allow Genetic engineered food in their countries - so.. i guess there will be a big market for that crap in the near future
Old 07-22-2003, 03:34 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
Rono:
The WTO forces the EU to allow Genetic engineered food in their countries - so.. i guess there will be a big market for that crap in the near future
Depents of the resistance of the consumers. I do not know for Europe but here in the Netherlands there is a law that it should be on the label if a product is made with GM ingrediŽnts. The most consumers do not want GM food so i would be hard to make GM products profit making. But for Africa it is a different situation, they have no choice to refuse those products at the end,...
Old 07-22-2003, 03:57 PM   #24
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
They want to label it EU wide now.

So i'm curious how the consumers decide
Old 07-22-2003, 07:17 PM   #25
War Child

Quote:
They just looking for a way to sell their Genetic engeneerd food,...nobody else want to have it.
I knew it must have been something. Damn. Even though the US is giving billions towards AIDS, it's only to help the evil, US corporations and those nasty farmers.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:33 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

I knew it must have been something. Damn. Even though the US is giving billions towards AIDS, it's only to help the evil, US corporations and those nasty farmers.
Would not suprise me,...
Old 07-23-2003, 08:13 AM   #27
War Child

Quote:
Would not suprise me,...
Yeah, would not surprise me either. Damn, evil Americans. What do you think their plan is after they feed starving African's with GM food? What's their next step? Freeing a country from an evil dictator? Stopping the spread of Communisim? Or will they stop the killing of 6mil innocent Jews?

I'm with you. Those Americans are always up to something and we don't owe them anything!
Old 07-23-2003, 10:35 AM   #28
Refugee

They also installed several dictators and killed several millions native americans.
The US did lots of good and lots of bad things - i guess counting them all from the past isn't helpful at all.

I guess everyone should be interested what their government really does. Being sceptical is the only way i know not to get tricked.

Klaus
Old 07-23-2003, 12:02 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

Yeah, would not surprise me either. Damn, evil Americans. What do you think their plan is after they feed starving African's with GM food? What's their next step? Freeing a country from an evil dictator? Stopping the spread of Communisim? Or will they stop the killing of 6mil innocent Jews?

I'm with you. Those Americans are always up to something and we don't owe them anything!
Hey, you are a little overreacting here, just bomb me.

Africa could easy be helped with non GM food. If a African country is accepting GM Food, that country would never be able to sell there own crops to countries who refuse to buy GM infected produkts. That is why for example Zambia do not want American aid.

The western countries should listen to Africa for what the need, instead we decide what they get.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:27 PM   #30
War Child

Quote:

The western countries should listen to Africa for what the need, instead we decide what they get.
It's hard to listen to what the African people need when the majority of the trouble spots in Africa are run by warlords who use the aid to further oppress the African people.