so ... Mitt Romney.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine511 said:

it was an early morning, if i remember correctly ...

You know Bono finally corrected that lyric, at least that appeared to be the case on the Chicago DVD.

Anywho. . .yeah, Romney is a phony. That New Hampshire paper got it right, as far as I'm concerned.

Another Granite State 'anti-endorsement' for Romney

CNN) — Mitt Romney, who has been polling well in New Hampshire for months, has so far failed to win over at least one small but important constituency: the state’s newspaper editors.

The Republican presidential candidate – and former mayor of neighboring Massachusetts – has not yet received endorsements from any of the state’s newspaper editorial boards, liberal or conservative. He has also been the target of scathing “anti-endorsements.”

Last week, the Concord Monitor’s liberal-leaning editorial board took aim at Romney. Wednesday, it was the conservative Manchester Union-Leader, which has already endorsed Romney’s presidential primary rival, Arizona Sen. John McCain.

“Like a lot of people in New Hampshire, we wanted to believe Romney. We gave him the benefit of the doubt. We listened very carefully to his expertly rehearsed sales pitch. But in the end he didn't close the deal for us,” the board wrote today, in an editorial that questioned his conservative convictions. “Now, two weeks before the primary, the same is happening with voters.

“How could that be? Romney has all the advantages: money, organization, geographic proximity, statesman-like hair, etc. …. But he lacks something John McCain has in spades: conviction. … In this primary, the more Mitt Romney speaks, the less believable he becomes,” they wrote.

Mitt Romney is spending Wednesday and Thursday stumping in New Hampshire, which had been considered his firewall.

The Romney campaign dismissed the Union-Leader editorial, touting his backing by the conservative National Review. “Gov. Romney has built a coalition of grassroots conservative support in. New Hampshire and across the country as a result of his advocacy for economic, social and national security policies that champion conservative Republican ideals,” said campaign spokesman Kevin Madden.

“The differences between Gov. Romney and Sen. McCain are clear. We disagree with Sen. McCain's joining Democrats to vote against Republican plans for tax relief, his pro-amnesty immigration proposal with Senator Kennedy and his McCain-Feingold legislation which hurt conservative advocacy efforts.”

^:applaud:

The New Republic
Meet McCain's Id

That would be Mark Salter, McCain's longtime aide who's best known as his co-author on books like Faith of My Fathers and Worth the Fighting For. In the current campaign, one of Salter's jobs seems to be to sit on the back of the Straight Talk Express and make sure that reporters don't bait McCain into saying something nasty about Mitt Romney--whom it's pretty clear McCain can't stand. The way Salter does this is, when it looks like reporters might be about to goad McCain into talking smack about Romney, Salter will launch into his own anti-Romney diatribe.

I thought this sort of thing was mostly confined to the back of the bus, but I see that, in response to Romney's new attacks on McCain in New Hampshire, the McCain campaign released a smack-talking statement from Salter that reads:

"Welcome to Mitt Romney's bizarro world, in which everyone is guilty of his sins. He didn't support Ronald Reagan. He didn't support President Bush's tax cuts. He raised taxes in Massachusetts by $700 million. He knows John McCain is gaining on him so he does what any small varmint gun totin,' civil rights marching, NRA endorsed fantasy candidate would do: he questions someone else's credibility. New Hampshire is on to you, Mitt. Give it a rest. It's Christmas."

Quit picking on Mitt :sad:

Last edited:
Yet another low for the Romster . . .

CNN Analysis: Romney attack ads misrepresent facts

Story Highlights:
Romney ad attacking McCain's immigration record inaccurate on McCain's position
Ad attacking Huckabee misrepresents quote from Condoleezza Rice
Huckabee decides not to air television ad responding to Romney

From Howard Kurtz
CNN Washington bureau
Editors Note: Howard Kurtz is the media reporter for The Washington Post and host of CNN's Reliable Sources.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Two negative ads recently launched by Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, who has spent more on advertising than any other candidate, either misrepresent his rival's records or include distortions, according to a CNN analysis of the commercials.

The ads come as the Republican air war has erupted into a series of attacks ads, just days before the Iowa caucuses on January 3, Wyoming caucuses on January 5, and the New Hampshire primary on January 8.

In one Romney television ad running in New Hampshire, the announcer calls rival Sen. John McCain "an honorable man" then goes on to ask "but is he the right Republican for the future?"

"McCain pushed to let every illegal immigrant stay here permanently..." the announcer charges. "Even voted to allow illegals to collect Social Security." Watch Romney's ad attacking McCain »

But the ad distorts the position of the Arizona Republican, who has narrowed Romney's lead in New Hampshire. McCain's compromise legislation introduced last summer, which was backed by President Bush, would have required illegal immigrants to return to their home countries and pay a fine for breaking the law before applying for legal status.

McCain also voted to allow illegals to receive past Social Security benefits only after obtaining legal status.

Romney, for his part, ordered a police crackdown on illegal immigrants two weeks before he left the job of governor of Massachusetts.

While Romney is strafing McCain in New Hampshire, his target in Iowa is former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.

In the anti-Huckabee commercial, the announcer calls Romney and Huckabee "two good men," then asks "but who is ready to make tough decisions?"

"Mike Huckabee? Soft on government spending.... His foreign policy? 'Ludicrous,' says Condoleezza Rice," the announcer continues.

Secretary of State Rice, however, did not call Huckabee's foreign policy "ludicrous." Rice was responding to Huckabee's criticism of the Bush administration for what he called an "arrogant bunker mentality" on world affairs in the January/February issue of Foreign Affairs magazine.

McCain is fighting back by using criticism of Romney from editorial writers, which has the effect of making him seem less negative. Watch McCain's ad responding to Romney »

In the McCain ad, the announcer says, "As you hear Mitt Romney attack John McCain, consider these words from New Hampshire newspapers. The Union Leader says John McCain has 'conviction' and 'Granite Staters want a candidate who will look them in the eye and tell them the truth.' "

"John McCain has done that," the announcer continues, quoting the newspaper's editorial. "Mitt Romney has not."

While Romney's ads say a few nice words about Huckabee and McCain before ripping their records, the commercials could backfire on Romney. In races with crowded fields, negative ads have sparked voter backlash against squabbling politicians. The attacks wind up helping candidates who stick with a positive message.

That may be why Huckabee on Monday announced he had pulled a television ad his campaign had prepared to respond to Romney's criticism.Watch Huckabee explain why he pulled the ad »

He said he called his staff Monday morning and told them he wanted it pulled.

"I just decided that's not the way we want to run it," the former pastor said. "It's never too late to do the right thing."

Huckabee acknowledged that he expected "cynicism" from those who believe that by showing the ad at the news conference he is still launching the attack while coming across as a candidate who wants to stay positive.

But, Huckabee said, he expects that if he had not shown the ad, reporters would have asked to see it.

"Conventional political wisdom is that when you're hit, and it's beginning to do damage, the smart play is to hit back," Huckabee said during an event in Des Moines, Iowa. But he said, "that's not the way we want to run it."

"We have to decide we can change the kind of politics and the level of discourse," Huckabee said. "We've got to start somewhere, so we might as well start here and might as well start with me."

Huckabee said the commercial was sent to Iowa television stations and may air for a day before being pulled out of rotation. Huckabee also said he would not be surprised if the commercial was posted on YouTube.

Romney launched a television ad in Iowa Monday, titled "Everywhere," that emphasizes a positive message.

In that commercial, Romney says, "Everywhere my family and I go we hear that America's challenges are simply too big for Washington politicians. I've spent my life tackling big problems -- helping turn around business, the Olympics, and state government."

"Together we can grow our economy, stop illegal immigration, defend life and preserve the values that make America the hope of the Earth," Romney says. "It's time to turn around Washington."

Huckabee did have a point -- if Romney's like this to get in the White House, what will he be like in the White House? :eyebrow:

Mass. pardon case at center of GOP storm
Huckabee slams Romney's repeated denial of Iraq veteran

By Charlie Savage, Globe Staff | January 2, 2008

Anthony Circosta, a decorated Iraq War veteran from Agawam, needed a gun permit in Massachusetts to get a promotion at his security guard job and to pursue a possible career as a police officer. But first he needed to have his record cleared of a childhood felony - shooting a classmate in the shoulder with a BB gun when he was 13.

The Massachusetts clemency board investigated Circosta's case and twice recommended pardoning him. But then-Governor Mitt Romney refused, preserving a record of rejecting every clemency request that crossed his desk.

Now, Circosta's case is at the heart of what many Republicans consider the key issue in tomorrow's Iowa caucuses, with Romney and former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee sparring over when and whether to grant pardons and commutations to convicted criminals.

Romney has blanketed the airwaves for two weeks with ads proclaiming that Huckabee granted clemency requests 1,033 times while Romney "never pardoned a single criminal." The less-funded Huckabee, however, has traveled the state with his own message about pardons - telling crowds Circosta's life story and asking whether they would pardon him. Almost all say they would.

Huckabee's point is clear: Romney is so hardhearted and politically calculating that he would deny a deserving veteran a chance to improve his life just because "he wanted to brag that he never, ever gave out a pardon" when he ran for president.

Circosta, now 30 and married with a daughter, did not return messages seeking comment. A friend told the Globe that Circosta "has moved on" with his life and was not interested in talking about the case.

But despite Circosta's reticence, he is becoming a symbol among Iowa Republicans. With Huckabee and Romney virtually tied in the polls, the fight over their sharply contrasting pardon records has emerged as a telling reflection of their characters.

In Iowa, Romney said he turned down Circosta because of his own guideline against pardoning firearm-related offenses if the applicant needed a pardon to obtain a gun permit.

"My desire was to make sure that I erred on the side of protecting the public," Romney said, adding that Huckabee granted pardons "as far as I know without any guidelines, simply done on the basis of what he may have thought was appropriate."

To underscore the point, Romney's campaign sent out another memo this week that quoted extensively from press reports over the years about Huckabee's reputation for handing out pardons and commutations, including reducing the sentences of convicted murderers.

But Huckabee talks about the power of rehabilitation, and told an Iowa voter this week who asked about his pardons, "I do believe that you don't just keep punishing people forever." An ordained Baptist minister, Huckabee has emphasized that the vast majority of his pardons were to give people with minor offenses, such as writing a bad check years earlier, a chance to get a job.

To push back against Romney, Huckabee is pointing to Circosta, whose case was first outlined in a June 2007 Associated Press story. The Globe has obtained the pardon advisory board's two case summary reports for Circosta that include many previously unreported details.

On Oct. 22, 1991, the 13-year-old Circosta was home alone in his family's apartment in Agawam. Two acquaintances from his middle school class were cutting through the complex. Circosta shouted at them from his balcony to get off the property. When they ignored him, Circosta shot a BB gun at one of the boys, Robert Latif. The pellet hit Latif in his left shoulder, causing a welt.

"There wasn't much of a wound - I wasn't even bleeding," Latif recalled in a phone interview with the Globe.

Angry at being shot "over something so stupid," Latif called the police. Circosta was arrested, pleaded guilty in juvenile court to felony assault with a dangerous weapon, and was sentenced to 364 days of probation. Years later, Circosta would tell the pardon advisory board that he was not proud of the childhood incident, "but it happened."

Circosta grew up. He enlisted in the Army National Guard as a medic, became a volunteer firefighter, and graduated from Westfield State College with a degree in criminal justice. In 2002, he served as a National Guard medic at the Salt Lake City Olympics - whose CEO was a businessman named Mitt Romney.

After the Olympics, Romney and Circosta returned from Utah to Massachusetts. Romney ran for governor, and Circosta filed a petition for a pardon. Circosta said he wanted to be eligible for a promotion at his security guard job and was interested in pursuing a career as a police officer. Both goals required a gun permit, so he needed the BB gun offense wiped from his record.

Circosta won letters of support from many people, including his National Guard commander, the chief of the Springfield police, US Representative Richard Neal, and Mayor Richard Cohen of Agawam. All attested to his maturity and good character. "As children we've all made mistakes, but as an adult he has a very clean record and has done all the right things," Cohen told the Globe in a telephone interview.

The clemency board "strongly recommended" a pardon for Circosta in 2003. But Romney took no action on the petition, which was automatically denied in March 2004 because a year had passed with no action by the governor.

Later that year, Circosta's Army National Guard unit was deployed to Iraq, where he spent a year as a combat medic. He was promoted to first lieutenant and was awarded the Bronze Star for meritorious service.

At the end of his deployment, Circosta returned to Agawam. But the childhood conviction was still haunting him. He still could not get promoted as a security guard. In addition, he was being offered the command of his National Guard company, but first needed a pardon so he would be eligible for top secret clearance from the military.

In 2005, Circosta again asked for a pardon with the backing of the advisory board. Once again, Romney declined.

Some Iowa Republicans who have heard Huckabee tell Circosta's story say it caused them to look at the two governors' clemency records in a different light. "I was really glad to hear his explanation," said Dan Carver, a fifth-grade teacher in Indianola who attended a recent Huckabee event. "I was really shocked in that case he talked about that Romney turned it down. That didn't make sense to me."

Back in Massachusetts, Latif - who is now a computer technician - called the whole situation sad. He said that Circosta deserves a pardon. "It was such a long time ago, and it shouldn't have to bog the kid down for the rest of his life," Latif said.

Man, the other Republican canidates really don't like him. I think Mitt had more personal jabs from everyone than any other canidate.

Maybe they're just jealous of his hair...

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Man, the other Republican canidates really don't like him. I think Mitt had more personal jabs from everyone than any other canidate.

Maybe they're just jealous of his hair...

Mitt reminds me of the Conservative version of John Kerry. Same hair and everything!:happy: Oh, and that whole flip-flopping thing.:happy:

I must say. Mitt is too dumb to be president.

In one of the previous debates he was asked:

"What will you do if a situation comes up where Iran has nuclear weapons, would you go to war?"

And his answer was:

"Well I would talk to my lawyers and decide from there if I would declare war."

And after that Ron Paul interrupted and destroyed him by saying:

"This idea of talking to attorneys is insane. Why not we open up the Constitution and read it?? Only Congress can declare war!!!"

Mitt Romney, what a fool.

Infinitum98 said:
I must say. Mitt is too dumb to be president.

In one of the previous debates he was asked:

"What will you do if a situation comes up where Iran has nuclear weapons, would you go to war?"

And his answer was:

"Well I would talk to my lawyers and decide from there if I would declare war."

And after that Ron Paul interrupted and destroyed him by saying:

"This idea of talking to attorneys is insane. Why not we open up the Constitution and read it?? Only Congress can declare war!!!"

Mitt Romney, what a fool.

Oh...for...the....love...of...God...:banghead:

Mitt, this is what we call a country. It's the United States of America. It's not what you call a buisness. Quit thinking you can run it like one.:|

I love how he kept calling references to his flip flopping on issues "personal attacks".

I'm gonna make a YouTube video, leave Mitt alone

crocker-in-britney-clip.jpg

Mitt had a good 2nd debate in NH tonight.:up:

dbs

Romney: A-
McCain: B+
Giuliani: B-
Huckabee: C+
Thompson: C

diamond said:
Mitt had a good 2nd debate in NH tonight.:up:

dbs

Romney: A-
McCain: B+
Giuliani: B-
Huckabee: C+
Thompson: C

That was on FoxNews so you and I are the only ones who watched it. :)
I thought Thompson had his best debate and Huckabee his worst. I would agree however that Romney and McCain had good nights.

***************BARACK FEARS FOXNEWS***************

Don't most intelligent thinking people?:wink:

I had a discussion about Fox News with a Republican friend of mine last night and he said, "Fox is fair and balanced... to the right". I thought that was very humble of him, for he isn't a very humble guy when it comes to politics.

it is puzzling what's going to happen.

Romney ought to win here -- it's his next door state, and the boston suburbs now extend into new hampshire.

McCain ought to win here -- he beat Bush here in 2000.

what's going to happen?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Don't most intelligent thinking people?:wink:

I had a discussion about Fox News with a Republican friend of mine last night and he said, "Fox is fair and balanced... to the right". I thought that was very humble of him, for he isn't a very humble guy when it comes to politics.

Well it hard NOT to be to the "right" of CNN, CBS or MSNBC isn't it? Yet, somehow ALL the Republican candidates manage to summon up the courage to appear on those networks to debate or answer questions on Sunday morning shows.

I find it hilarious when folks think CNN or MSNBC are liberal(never watch CBS), it's usually the same folks who argue that higher education is too liberal.

Last edited:
If the Democrat wins in November, I'm going to take the next day off work if necessary - I'm watching Fox all day. Should be champagne comedy.

INDY500 said:

Well it hard NOT to be to the "right" of CNN, CBS or MSNBC isn't it? Yet, somehow ALL the Republican candidates manage to summon up the courage to appear on those networks to debate or answer questions on Sunday morning shows.

Well, rightly or wrongly, they kind of have to as those networks represent the "mainstream media." Unfortunately with the "libruls" holding the monopoly on most media outlets, if you want to speak to the whole nation as opposed to just a portion of it you're going to have appear on the major networks. There is less of a cost to skipping Fox then to skipping all the others.

And really, who is going to treat you with more basic courtesy and respect and who is more likely to shout you down--Sean Hannity or Anderson Cooper? I'm always amazed when I occasionally hear people who aren't in lockstep with say Rush Limbaugh calling into his radio program. Of course they get shouted down and mocked. . .and I'm always thinking: "What are these callers thinking. They should know they're not going to get a chance to speak. They know they're not going to be heard. Why bother calling in at all?" That's the same way I'd feel about appearing on a Fox program. Being disagreed with or challenged is one thing, being disrespected is another and I wouldn't bother with appearing on a program where the latter was likely to happen.

Well I also think we need to distinguish between the editorials and the news. Yes the editorials on CNN or MSNBC may lean liberal, but that is not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking strictly the news segments. And INDY you've confused those two before, so maybe that's what you are talking about.

Yes, exactly. The big issue I have with Fox is that they spin the news. All the time. I think CNN does it sparingly, and MSNBC and CBS almost never.

In summary, Fox is more conservative than all the "liberal" networks are liberal, combined.

maycocksean said:

And really, who is going to treat you with more basic courtesy and respect and who is more likely to shout you down--Sean Hannity or Anderson Cooper?

That's a terrible comparison. They host different types of shows. Cooper is hard news and Hannity is an opinion show. That's just like saying "Who's more likely to shout you down- Shepard Smith or Keith Olbermann?" Oh wait, I guess Olbermann never does shout anyone down because I have NEVER seen him have a guest who disagrees with him. That's really fair. But he's not politically biased.... :rolleyes:

phillyfan26 said:
In summary, Fox is more conservative than all the "liberal" networks are liberal, combined.

:lol:
Thanks for the laugh, philly.

Last edited:
INDY500 said:

are you kidding me?

can we please, please, please stop with the whole "blame the MSM"?

Fox has a specific, written, well-documented agenda shaped by Murdoch and especially Roger Ailes. there is no liberal media. Bill Kirstol admitted this years ago. he said it was the equivalent of "working the refs" in a basketball game.

every last one of those stations you mentioned has no specific ideological agenda -- as compared to Fox, which does -- they are merely there to report on stories that will hopefully result in ratings that are of interest to the companies that already spend money to advertise on such stations. it's these companies and demographics that drive the news, not the pushing of an agenda. in fact, if anything, it's a pro-corporate, sell-sell-sell agenda that drives the news cycle.

which is why i recommend you and everyone else gets their news from PBS and NPR. with no ratings to worry about, journalists can focus on doing their job, not on scooping one another.

yeah, how bout when tim russert left script and tripped up hillary re driver's lic in ny?
:sexywink:

all the ppl at msn high fived him:up:

yeah
riiight.

dbs

Are we really arguing whether or not FOX is biased. We all know it is a biased, piece of shit network. And that Rupert Murdoch uses it to create more of a support for the Iraq War. Who can explain why Ron Paul was excluded from the debate yesterday? That is just ridiculous. Rupert Murdoch should go to Iraq, be shot, and die.

Irvine511 said:

are you kidding me?

can we please, please, please stop with the whole "blame the MSM"?

Fox has a specific, written, well-documented agenda shaped by Murdoch and especially Roger Ailes. there is no liberal media. Bill Kirstol admitted this years ago. he said it was the equivalent of "working the refs" in a basketball game.

every last one of those stations you mentioned has no specific ideological agenda -- as compared to Fox, which does -- they are merely there to report on stories that will hopefully result in ratings that are of interest to the companies that already spend money to advertise on such stations. it's these companies and demographics that drive the news, not the pushing of an agenda. in fact, if anything, it's a pro-corporate, sell-sell-sell agenda that drives the news cycle.

which is why i recommend you and everyone else gets their news from PBS and NPR. with no ratings to worry about, journalists can focus on doing their job, not on scooping one another.
Or you can read Bernie Goldberg's books, or the myriad of polls that ask journalists to define themselves. I used to watch MSNBC for my political news but since the Iraq war they have made a noticeable and intentional move to be the "antiFox." During the 2004 Swiftboat "scandal" I saw Lawrence O'Donnell literally go insane on TV (I'm sure you can youtube it.) Chris Mathews called the White house "criminal" days before he moderated a Republican debate in 2007, now, that's not biased to you because you agree with that. Even Tucker Carlson's show is guest-hosted half the time by David "I am convinced that Karl Rove will, in fact, be indicted" Shuster, a creep so bigoted towards evangelical Christians that he recently said of them:
"We'll go to a revival and then go to Guantanamo Bay and torture some people just for fun."

MSNBC was in negotiations to hire Rosie O'donald for cryingoutload. No liberal media equivalent...please, and I haven't even mentioned Keef, who if you noticed, co-anchored MSNBC's election night coverage in Iowa. I thought Keef was an "opinion guy" not a "hardnews" guy?

But still, at the least, shouldn't Barack come on FOXNews Sunday and scold Chris Wallace like Bill Clinton did. Wouldn't that only help him in the eyes of Democrats and moderates?

Infinitum98 said:
Are we really arguing whether or not FOX is biased. We all know it is a biased, piece of shit network. And that Rupert Murdoch uses it to create more of a support for the Iraq War. Who can explain why Ron Paul was excluded from the debate yesterday? That is just ridiculous. Rupert Murdoch should go to Iraq, be shot, and die.

reminds me of this:
"I love so many critics of the press in Iraq, you know, can criticize the press, can criticize Lara Logan, and Richard Engel, and others who actually have their boots on the ground there. But I would like to see some of them like Bill Kristol go there, without a bodyguard, walk down the street. If he does so, I will make him this promise: I will attend his funeral."

--Neal Gabler on FoxNews Watch Oct 2007

Back
Top Bottom