Sir! No Sir! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-18-2008, 08:37 PM   #16
Refugee
 
MadelynIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Craggy Island
Posts: 1,504
Local Time: 07:39 AM
Right, and his orders are legal orders, period.

If they are legal orders, you do your duty. You might not agree with everything, and that goes from a particular mission, to the entire war, but you still do what you are commanded to do.

I'm going to Iraq this fall, as part of my job. I don't have an explicit opinion on the reasons why we started in Iraq. I do know, however, that it is the right thing now, to support the Iraqi government, so they can setup a stable society as soon as possible.

So we can be on our way.
__________________

__________________
MadelynIris is offline  
Old 05-19-2008, 12:07 AM   #17
Loungeroom Dancing Queen
 
Purplereign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: where I can Breathe . . . and it's Magnificent
Posts: 24,782
Local Time: 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris
Right, and his orders are legal orders, period.

If they are legal orders, you do your duty. You might not agree with everything, and that goes from a particular mission, to the entire war, but you still do what you are commanded to do.

I'm going to Iraq this fall, as part of my job. I don't have an explicit opinion on the reasons why we started in Iraq. I do know, however, that it is the right thing now, to support the Iraqi government, so they can setup a stable society as soon as possible.

So we can be on our way.
I wish you a safe return
Whether I agree with the reasons for this war or not, my thoughts and prayers are with you and all who are serving
__________________

__________________
Purplereign is offline  
Old 05-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,655
Local Time: 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris
Right, and his orders are legal orders, period.

Well of course this government will never allow any true questioning of this war's legality, but many experts don't agree with your view that it's obviously legal... and it's dangerous to just accept it.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 05-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #19
Loungeroom Dancing Queen
 
Purplereign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: where I can Breathe . . . and it's Magnificent
Posts: 24,782
Local Time: 10:39 PM
Governments need people to question what they don't believe is true / right / ethical - its the only way society can continue to grow -its pretty evident that human beings are not so good at keeping their heads on straight when power is bestowed upon them
__________________
'You might just as well say, that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'
Purplereign is offline  
Old 05-19-2008, 04:00 PM   #20
you are what you is
 
Salome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 22,016
Local Time: 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by vaz02


Its supposed to be the army not a greenpeace rally with hippies smoking pot. The orders from the top is to maintain peace and route out trouble, thats not murderous so dont try to imply their the 25th century robot death squad or universal soldier.
where in this article were there any signs that we have to do with "hippies smoking pot" here?

there must be something in between "Befehl ist Befehl" (for lack of a better, succinct description) and "hippies smoking pot"
__________________
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline  
Old 05-19-2008, 04:03 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
vaz02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: manchester
Posts: 7,447
Local Time: 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
where in this article were there any signs that we have to do with "hippies smoking pot" here?

there must be something in between "Befehl ist Befehl" (for lack of a better, succinct description) and "hippies smoking pot"
That was actually a joke, sorry if it offended you.
__________________
vaz02 is offline  
Old 05-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #22
you are what you is
 
Salome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 22,016
Local Time: 01:39 PM
nah, it didn't offend me
I don't care if you would have called me a pot smoking hippy even
it just didn't seem to enhance the point you were trying to make
__________________
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline  
Old 05-19-2008, 05:34 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,272
Local Time: 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


Well of course this government will never allow any true questioning of this war's legality, but many experts don't agree with your view that it's obviously legal... and it's dangerous to just accept it.
That is how you get all those war crimes stories and charges of genocide when it is all said and done and the soldiers say, well we were following orders. I'm not saying that this is happening here, but in every case it happens, that is the defence. Is there nothing to be said for one's own morality?

And no, not everyone agrees that this is a legally sanctioned war either.
__________________
anitram is online now  
Old 05-19-2008, 05:39 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,473
Local Time: 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

And no, not everyone agrees that this is a legally sanctioned war either.




we all know that Resolution 1441 makes everything George W. Bush has ever done legal and moral.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 05-19-2008, 09:49 PM   #25
Refugee
 
MadelynIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Craggy Island
Posts: 1,504
Local Time: 07:39 AM
Understood, but this cat's orders are legal, at his level.

I think most are ok with the idea of working really hard to get Iraq straightened out asap. That's where I'm at now.
__________________
MadelynIris is offline  
Old 05-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by vaz02


Its supposed to be the army not a greenpeace rally with hippies smoking pot. The orders from the top is to maintain peace and route out trouble, thats not murderous so dont try to imply their the 25th century robot death squad or universal soldier.
Ever seen the movie "A Few Good Men"?

It's pretty good. It'll give you a few things to think about.
__________________
maycocksean is offline  
Old 05-19-2008, 10:10 PM   #27
Refugee
 
MadelynIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Craggy Island
Posts: 1,504
Local Time: 07:39 AM
A few good men is a good example of the tragedy of following illegal orders. There's a scene in saving private ryan where almost all of the soldiers where ready to disobey the captain's orders to take out a radar site... The seargant was about to shoot one of the soldiers who was threating to leave.

Politicians set the policy. The armed services execute. If the military decided to do their own thing... well I can think of a lot of BAD examples around the world today....

__________________
MadelynIris is offline  
Old 05-19-2008, 10:58 PM   #28
Loungeroom Dancing Queen
 
Purplereign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: where I can Breathe . . . and it's Magnificent
Posts: 24,782
Local Time: 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris
Politicians set the policy. The armed services execute. If the military decided to do their own thing... well I can think of a lot of BAD examples around the world today....

Correct me if I misunderstand but I thought we were talking about an individual soldiers right to question the legality of what he/she has been asked to do? Agree wholeheartedly that letting the military (or any organisation, political or otherwise) do as they please and unanswerable to anybody just leads to devastating consequences.
__________________

__________________
Purplereign is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com