Sir! No Sir! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2008, 08:37 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 07:39 AM
Right, and his orders are legal orders, period.

If they are legal orders, you do your duty. You might not agree with everything, and that goes from a particular mission, to the entire war, but you still do what you are commanded to do.

I'm going to Iraq this fall, as part of my job. I don't have an explicit opinion on the reasons why we started in Iraq. I do know, however, that it is the right thing now, to support the Iraqi government, so they can setup a stable society as soon as possible.

So we can be on our way.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:07 AM   #17
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris

If they are legal orders, you do your duty. You might not agree with everything, and that goes from a particular mission, to the entire war, but you still do what you are commanded to do.

I'm going to Iraq this fall, as part of my job. I don't have an explicit opinion on the reasons why we started in Iraq. I do know, however, that it is the right thing now, to support the Iraqi government, so they can setup a stable society as soon as possible.

So we can be on our way.
I wish you a safe return
Whether I agree with the reasons for this war or not, my thoughts and prayers are with you and all who are serving

Old 05-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:39 AM
Quote:

Well of course this government will never allow any true questioning of this war's legality, but many experts don't agree with your view that it's obviously legal... and it's dangerous to just accept it.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #19
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Governments need people to question what they don't believe is true / right / ethical - its the only way society can continue to grow -its pretty evident that human beings are not so good at keeping their heads on straight when power is bestowed upon them
Old 05-19-2008, 04:00 PM   #20
you are what you is

Local Time: 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by vaz02

Its supposed to be the army not a greenpeace rally with hippies smoking pot. The orders from the top is to maintain peace and route out trouble, thats not murderous so dont try to imply their the 25th century robot death squad or universal soldier.
where in this article were there any signs that we have to do with "hippies smoking pot" here?

there must be something in between "Befehl ist Befehl" (for lack of a better, succinct description) and "hippies smoking pot"
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 05-19-2008, 04:03 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
where in this article were there any signs that we have to do with "hippies smoking pot" here?

there must be something in between "Befehl ist Befehl" (for lack of a better, succinct description) and "hippies smoking pot"
That was actually a joke, sorry if it offended you.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #22
you are what you is

Local Time: 01:39 PM
nah, it didn't offend me
I don't care if you would have called me a pot smoking hippy even
it just didn't seem to enhance the point you were trying to make
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 05-19-2008, 05:34 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Well of course this government will never allow any true questioning of this war's legality, but many experts don't agree with your view that it's obviously legal... and it's dangerous to just accept it.
That is how you get all those war crimes stories and charges of genocide when it is all said and done and the soldiers say, well we were following orders. I'm not saying that this is happening here, but in every case it happens, that is the defence. Is there nothing to be said for one's own morality?

And no, not everyone agrees that this is a legally sanctioned war either.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:39 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

And no, not everyone agrees that this is a legally sanctioned war either.

we all know that Resolution 1441 makes everything George W. Bush has ever done legal and moral.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:49 PM   #25
Refugee

Understood, but this cat's orders are legal, at his level.

I think most are ok with the idea of working really hard to get Iraq straightened out asap. That's where I'm at now.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by vaz02

Its supposed to be the army not a greenpeace rally with hippies smoking pot. The orders from the top is to maintain peace and route out trouble, thats not murderous so dont try to imply their the 25th century robot death squad or universal soldier.
Ever seen the movie "A Few Good Men"?

It's pretty good. It'll give you a few things to think about.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:10 PM   #27
Refugee

A few good men is a good example of the tragedy of following illegal orders. There's a scene in saving private ryan where almost all of the soldiers where ready to disobey the captain's orders to take out a radar site... The seargant was about to shoot one of the soldiers who was threating to leave.

Politicians set the policy. The armed services execute. If the military decided to do their own thing... well I can think of a lot of BAD examples around the world today....

Old 05-19-2008, 10:58 PM   #28
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Quote:
Politicians set the policy. The armed services execute. If the military decided to do their own thing... well I can think of a lot of BAD examples around the world today....

Correct me if I misunderstand but I thought we were talking about an individual soldiers right to question the legality of what he/she has been asked to do? Agree wholeheartedly that letting the military (or any organisation, political or otherwise) do as they please and unanswerable to anybody just leads to devastating consequences.