Singles of FYM...Look no further! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2004, 11:06 AM   #1
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:34 PM
Singles of FYM...Look no further!

http://www.falgunimehta.com/grooms.html

This is for real, right?

Old 04-12-2004, 11:13 AM   #2
Jesus Online

As expected, the search for brides is even better.

Quote:
Kenya - Nairobibased, cultured affluent Gujarati Jain business oriented family (small family) invites proposals for their son, visiting India for matrimonials. He is smart, good looking, good natured, July 1963 born, 5' 6", educated, intelligent well - established businessman. He is innocent issueless divorcee. Alliance sought from fair, smart, slim, active, English speaking, family loving girls. He is looking for a single or an issueless divorcee. Divorcee with an infant child (male) is also welcome. Girls hailing from decent Jain / Lohana / Vaishnav / Gujarati / Punjabi or any good families are invited. Direct Email address for this particular boy : bakul@traveloursafaris.com or bakul2@rediffmail.com

these guys are all doctors, engineers, computer science graduates and scientists.

Old 04-12-2004, 11:14 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:34 AM
For goodness sakes.......this isn't for me.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:25 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:34 AM

Yikes I wouldn't do this...although I know a person that his parents put an ad in an Indian newspaper and that's how he found his wife now
Old 04-13-2004, 12:51 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not sure how I feel about the advertising, but I've always been intrigued by arranged marriages. As weird as they seem to us, I think there's some appeal to the selflessness and being able to grow/learn to love someone.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:08 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:34 PM
Interesting ...
Old 04-13-2004, 07:19 AM   #7
you are what you is

Local Time: 06:34 AM
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-13-2004, 07:29 AM   #8
Jesus Online

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
I'm not sure how I feel about the advertising, but I've always been intrigued by arranged marriages. As weird as they seem to us, I think there's some appeal to the selflessness and being able to grow/learn to love someone.
I agree. They are intriguing probably because they are a totally foreign concept to me and probably most of us here.
I cant help feel its all so clinical and kinda like cattle classification before they go to auction. It looks like the site uses some kind of form when they're placing the ads as a lot of them are similar in wording etc...But I dunno. It just feels wrong I spose.

Old 04-13-2004, 04:13 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

It just feels wrong I spose.

Like the ads are wrong or arranged marriage?
Old 04-13-2004, 05:59 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:34 AM
my sister goes to one of the very few schools here that has mixed religions, there are a lot of people who send their children to that school from other countries because there is a boarding dept. anyway, my sister has a friend and she has to have an arranged marriage, she was telling us one day that she has to marry one of her cousins, her family wont force her but they would disown her if she didnt, she also has to do well in school and this girl is always doing schoolwork, her parents who are both doctors expect her to do medicine at the university here and become a doctor, apparently if she does not get good grades and do well they would tell her she is not wanted as a member of the family, when she has become a doctor she will go back to egypt and marry her cousin. she has never said she is against the idea but she said she dislikes her cousin that she is expected to marry and they dont get along, i dont think she really wants her life to be like this but it is expected of her and will go along with it even though she is miserable now and will probably be even more miserable in the future and after listening to her story and some of the other girls in my sisters year talking about their arranged marriages (they have had their husbands picked for them since they were born ) i cant say i really like the idea of an arranged marriage but it is part of their culture and it is normal for them its just hard not to have an ethnocentric attitude and see this is an acceptable practice.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:22 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

I tend to look very disdainfully at tradition, and this is one I'd love to smack across its head.

Melon
Old 04-13-2004, 09:53 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I have a close friend whose parents have decided it is time to arrange a marriage for her. She is 23.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:53 PM   #13
Jesus Online

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Like the ads are wrong or arranged marriage?
The ads definitely as they are pretty dehumanising. As well as entirely superficial. Fair and slim. Pfft. Most of us in some way seek a partner which is asthetically pleasing, but to list it as a requirement is another matter all together. I would guess it is about lineage and carrying on good genes through the family tree, but it doesn't make it any better in my mind.
I'm going to bite the bullet and say yes I do think these arranged marriages are wrong. I would prefer to respect it is their culture and all that, but my reasons for being against it are not a slam on the culture itself, but the supporting of 'forcing' people, loved ones and children, into a lifetime of potential misery like with Lara's sister's friend. Of course not all of them end in tears and I'm sure there's probably quite a few successful marriages from this. Its the ones which dont have a happy ending I cant appreciate. And like I said, it really isn't about the culture itself. Any marriage which is unhappy or unwilling on either party involved is not a good thing. If someone was stuck in an unhappy marriage but was a WASP Canadian for example, it would still be the same thing. Why push it and ignore the absolute misery of someone who is a loved one of yours and one who you would naturally wish nothing but happiness and the best for? I dont understand what could make this worth it.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:54 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I have a close friend whose parents have decided it is time to arrange a marriage for her. She is 23.
How does she feel about it?
Old 04-14-2004, 02:42 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I would say that as long as all parties are consenting adults, I have nothing against arranged marriage. If someone wants, feel free to try to convince me otherwise (I'm really open to arguements here).