Should homosexual couples be able to adopt kids? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2002, 05:10 PM   #76
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by pr0digy

There is no substitute for the natural mother and fathers love for their naturally born child. Argue all you want, this is my opinion, and I stand by it.
Do you think before you type????????????
Do you really believe that adoptive parents cannot love a child as deeply as a biological parent? I guess you are right it an opinion and I think I heard it one time when I was much younger and wasted my brain cells listening to Howard Stern.

The man who's name I carry gave more to make my life good than my biological father. His family has loved me, my wife, and my children. No one, not my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins thinks of me as not being a member of the family. Actually, I misspoke...only one 2nd cousin has ever even mentioned it to me.

My God, I was lucky. God provided me with an opportunity. A chance to grow up in a loving househould. If I had grown up with my biological father, my life would not have come close to what it is today.

I only hope that somehow in my life I can make some contribution to give back God what he has given to me. I was blessed.

Peace

Old 11-15-2002, 05:15 PM   #77
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora

I think you're going to take a lot of heat for this if there's anyone on the forum who was adopted, or anyone who has adopted a child--and I hope you do. Many people--I would venture to say most people, even--who choose to adopt a child do so at great financial and emotional cost. Sometimes people have to go around the world to adopt a child because adoptions are so difficult in the States. Don't tell me, or them, that there is "no substitute" for the love of so-called "natural parents."

Love is love--it need not be accompanied by the "appropriate" biology. It's completely unfair, close-minded, and simply WRONG to state that something is missing from the relationship between a child and his or her adoptive parents, assuming of course that they are good and loving parents. That's ridiculous. You have every right to stand by your opinion, but even as a liberal--hey FYM conservatives, check this out--I believe it is grossly wrong and narrow-minded.

(see, we silly liberals CAN make a a strong condemnation against moral stances we find to be wrong... )
See...I shot my post off before reading past the one that irked me.

Pax.....Nice way of putting it. The words in the post hit too close to home. BTW....my father was not gay. I should probably mentioned that in the other thread.

My two aunts have done a wonderful job raising my cousin. He is now married and expecting his first child.

Peace.

Old 11-15-2002, 05:39 PM   #78
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:26 AM

is it possible for the gay crowd to be "hetro-phobic"?
Old 11-15-2002, 06:04 PM   #79
She's the One

Local Time: 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung_Bebe

I do not think this would be the proper solution to the oversupply of children which has been mentioned. I do think that the solution lies in man himself... This was not always an issue in society. .... Also a factor is the number of teenage pregnancies -- I think the problem arises in these areas of lowered standards. Adoption remains a beautiful thing... couples who perhaps cannot produce children are able to raise a life.... something beautiful is made out of something untimely.

Meanwhile, until this perfect world is acheived, you prefer that children who could be raised in loving homes should remain in group homes and foster homes until...? What?

(This is NOT disrepect; it's a legitimate question that was not answered in the quoted post.)
Old 11-15-2002, 06:26 PM   #80
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
is it possible for the gay crowd to be "hetro-phobic"?
No...it's called the "gay crowd" wants equality.

Melon
Old 11-16-2002, 09:33 AM   #81
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Meanwhile, until this perfect world is acheived, you prefer that children who could be raised in loving homes should remain in group homes and foster homes until...? What?
Yeah, I'd like to know that too. I'm not quite sure how, given the choice between two same-sex parents with a stable, loving home and the uncertainty of foster or respite care, someone would choose not to place the child with the two same-sex parents. This boggles my mind. How is a home with two responsible adults who WANT a child a bad thing?

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:49 AM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung_Bebe
Adoption remains a beautiful thing... couples who perhaps cannot produce children are able to raise a life.... something beautiful is made out of something untimely. Rather than twisting nature in order to suit ourselves, I think it's time the standards are raised. I do not think it is impossible to raise standards so long as enough people who feel the same come together.
You know what? This upsets me. I, and many others like me, have spent our entire fucking life looking for approval and acceptance in Christianity...only to run into flat out insulting statements like these. And are you being insulting on purpose? From what it reads, not at all...and that's what upsets me the most.

"Twisting nature."

"Raising standards."

Yes, you don't need to say it a third time. You think homosexuals, either consciously or subconsciously, are unnatural freaks undeserving of even the most basic of human emotions. Honestly? At a theoretic level, I would love to deprive you of all love, take away any chances for you having children, nonchalantly call you a "defective sinner" who just didn't have "enough faith" your entire life, and see how you would have turned out in this world. If anything, Christianity is devoid of empathy, a lost art in human emotions...and I've often wondered why I've even given a fuck all these years about Christianity, considering how "un-Christian" it is in practice.

Melon
Old 11-16-2002, 03:12 PM   #83
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

At a theoretic level, I would love to deprive you of all love, take away any chances for you having children, nonchalantly call you a "defective sinner" who just didn't have "enough faith" your entire life, and see how you would have turned out in this world.
Even at a theoretic level, melon, this post is taking it too far and you know better. Please refrain from personal insults.

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-16-2002, 03:39 PM   #84
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
Even at a theoretic level, melon, this post is taking it too far and you know better. Please refrain from personal insults.
Who said this was personal? I'd love everyone to have to deal with this for at least a day. Maybe then this thread would have more of a human face, rather than ideological motives.

"Dehumanize your enemy..."

Melon
Old 11-16-2002, 05:06 PM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:26 AM
Yes

there are so many children out there and all they want is someone to love them- who cares if its 2 men or 2 women they will still be loved
Old 11-16-2002, 05:41 PM   #86
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

I'd love everyone to have to deal with this for at least a day. Melon
Then you should have said that originally.

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-16-2002, 05:42 PM   #87
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

As far as "standards" go, I'd pick a suitable gay set of parents to a poor set of straight parents, or no parents at all any day! Standards should be based on the care of the child! I don't have any children, but that seems pretty obvious to me....and just because some of us think gay parents are a good idea doesn't mean we are automatically anti-straight! No one here is being Hetero-phobic, or saying anything bad about straight parents in general. We are just making the point that gay parents, who will love and properly care for a child should be allowed to do so! It's so simple!

Regarding nbcrusader's comment about the "gay lifestyle" and the 70's and 80's....I am no expert on this and perhaps Melon could correct me, but I think around that time/era, gay men were really starting to come out publicly and celebrate their sexuality and generally saying we're here, get used to it. They were choosing a certain lifestyle associated with being gay....but I'm sure they didn't actually choose to be gay to begin with, which is the difference.

Nowadays, especially in cities with huge gay populations like Toronto, it's all so commonplace there is no need to push so hard. The Pride parades used to be quite outrageous and interesting, but nowadays you just have a whole bunch of gay men walking along in their shorts and Tshirts pushing strollers....not too exciting for a parade, but a good sign of acceptance in the community.
Old 11-16-2002, 05:45 PM   #88
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:26 AM
wink

why doesnt anyone at free your mind grow some balls and start a controversial topic for once?!
Old 11-16-2002, 05:51 PM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:26 AM
There is a gay couple who lives 2 streets away from us i have 2 gay friends and my mum has a gay friend- i personally think they are the nicest caring sweetest people ever and nobody has the right to judge them- let ppl live they want to

One time a boy in one of my classes said if a child had 2 gay parents it would be gay- i think that so stupid- people who think like this are dispicable
Old 11-16-2002, 07:55 PM   #90
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:26 AM

would we be ok w Pee Wee Herman adopting children...?