sesame streeet to get new hiv + character - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2002, 06:55 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:29 AM

It sounds like a good idea to me; and Melon is right: sexuality need not be an issue with this character, just as it is not a sole factor in the African AIDS crisis (or AIDS in general).

Spiral_Staircase makes a good example of the deaf character as well, and the effect the character had on him.

~U2Alabama

Old 07-15-2002, 07:35 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:59 AM
Seseme Street was sooo much better! I grew up and that stuff!

But aside from that...sounds like a good idea

Old 07-15-2002, 08:30 PM   #18
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Local Time: 08:29 AM

I don't think this is a good idea.. Thankfully it won't be coming here to America.. It robs these kids of their childhood.. They don't need to be confronted by diseases and the horror that accompanies them as a young child. It has been commented on that in S. Africa... HIV is a social issue.. Well, How about Prostitutes.. Murder.. Very Prominent Social Issues in that country. Do we need a muppet for all of these things to bring these other social issues to the forefront? Sure arguments can be made to bring it into S. Africa.. But to do it without even bringing in Sexuality?.. Are we going to bull shit these kids.. I mean, how does this thing get transferred ultimately (the root cause before being 'born with it as a kid').. Sexual Activities, and Blood Contact from needles et al.. Specifically Drugs. Are we going to pretend this thing just appears when they are born say, 'That's just how this person is'?.. Please.. It's not something you can go half way on, if you're going to do this.
Anyways, I'm also giving a wayward glance to where this thing came from?.. I've got a feeling it's from some Gay Rights.. or Homosexual Conglomerate agenda to 'popularize' or 'normalize' this Disease into common society's views.

L.Unplugged

--Bill Clinton
Old 07-15-2002, 08:37 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

But, Lemonite, wouldn't you agree that the African AIDS epidemic is broader than the social AIDS epidemic here? It is so widespread there, that for most of the children with AIDS, it does just "appear" when they are born (after being passed from their parent(s). The sexual issues and shared needles (which probably isn't a big source in sub-Saharan Africa) do not even have to be addressed.

~U2Alabama
Old 07-15-2002, 09:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
It is so widespread there, that for most of the children with AIDS, it does just "appear" when they are born (after being passed from their parent(s).

~U2Alabama
I've been thinking on this since I first heard it, but this is just part of the issue, and only a small reason of a totality to be against this muppet... But on this particular part, I see how they can view this Horrible and Lethal Disease as just appearing, but I feel it's an exploitation on their ignorance and naiveness, and just think that it doesn't need to be half assed... regardless of appearances...
I know.. just differences of opinions.. But, as I wrote earlier, I acknowledge that I see how the idea can surface.. I guess that's it.. Ah well.. Someone pass me the innuendo free, social commentary exempt 'Song Of The South' Video.. Don't ya love the Bluebird.

L.Unplugged

--Bill Clinton
Old 07-16-2002, 05:06 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonite
I don't think this is a good idea.. Thankfully it won't be coming here to America.. It robs these kids of their childhood.. They don't need to be confronted by diseases and the horror that accompanies them as a young child.

But very often they are already confronted by this because they themselves, or a friend, a family member is affected by AIDS/HIV. Having the issue addressed and explained to them might take away some of the fear and misunderstanding around the issue. I see why you feel like children shouldn't be confronted by difficult issues, but for lots of children they're already confronted by them in their day to day lives, a tv show wouldn't be introducing them to an issue they'd never heard of.

Quote:
Anyways, I'm also giving a wayward glance to where this thing came from?.. I've got a feeling it's from some Gay Rights.. or Homosexual Conglomerate agenda to 'popularize' or 'normalize' this Disease into common society's views.

L.Unplugged
Actually, Lemonite, the most common way for AIDS/HIV to be transmitted is through heterosexual sex. It's not an issue which affects only lesbian and gay people - it's an issue which affects millions of people regardless of their sexuality.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:05 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

but for lots of children they're already confronted by them in their day to day lives, a tv show wouldn't be introducing them to an issue they'd never heard of.
[/B]
I understand this point, and I've read this thread so no need to reply with the 'we don' tneed to broach sexuality' reply from earlier, but as Bama said earlier they probably just see this disease 'appear', and to not give the whole story.. even in sesame street style (With Grover Mounting Yoda) is an exploitation on their extreme youth.

Quote:

Actually, Lemonite, the most common way for AIDS/HIV to be transmitted is through heterosexual sex. It's not an issue which affects only lesbian and gay people - it's an issue which affects millions of people regardless of their sexuality. [/B]
*SigH*.. Again, you are succumbing to your idealistic notions of the world.. This above is irrelevant to my point.. I'm saying that I wouldn't be surprised that these Homosexuals have some sort of agenda a mile long beyond just 'exposing children' to this Horrible and Terrible Disease.. and that agenda is in 'socializing' or 'normalizing' AIDS, and a puppet reaching millions of kids saying 'It's Cool To Have AIDS (Sarcasm)' will do just that. This is like saying that the militant environmentalists want to 'save the environment' when they really all they want is to Tear down Capitalism... It's all illusions... See them if you want.

L.Unplugged

--Bill Clinton
Old 07-16-2002, 09:25 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
*SigH*.. Again, you are succumbing to your idealistic notions of the world.. This above is irrelevant to my point.. I'm saying that I wouldn't be surprised that these Homosexuals have some sort of agenda a mile long beyond just 'exposing children' to this Horrible and Terrible Disease.. and that agenda is in 'socializing' or 'normalizing' AIDS, and a puppet reaching millions of kids saying 'It's Cool To Have AIDS (Sarcasm)' will do just that.
L.Unplugged
But...why would gay people have some sort of horrible agenda here? To begin with I'm not aware that it has anything to do with gay rights campaigners, and also in what way would it benefit lesbian or gay people?
Old 07-16-2002, 11:04 AM   #24

Quote:

But...why would gay people have some sort of horrible agenda here? To begin with I'm not aware that it has anything to do with gay rights campaigners, and also in what way would it benefit lesbian or gay people?
Hahahah... EVERYONE has an agenda.. Asking But Why? will leave you nowhere but behind. As I wrote above, 'I would not be surprised'.., It was an analysis of the situation.. some conclusions that were drawn. Critical Thinking. I never said that there was some queen out there stating such things with a rainbow flag as a cape.. But then again, this may be some sort of innocent 'Let's expose this to the kids, Rob them of their childhood, and Throw a horrible terrible disease into their faces when they're still crapping in their pants.' schtick by Sesame Street.. But like I said before.. And this is the key part.. "I wouldn't be surprised." And you shouldn't be either.

L.Unplugged

--Bill Clinton
Old 07-16-2002, 11:20 AM   #25
War Child

Let's assume that this is part of "the gay agenda." I guess I don't see anything wrong with "socializing" and "normalizing" AIDS. In fact, it's probably a good thing. I'll go back to the example of "deaf Linda" from Sesame Street. As a little kid, when I finally did encounter a deaf person, I'm sure it was less of a big deal because Sesame Street had clued me in. I knew that a deaf person might make some sounds (that sounded strange to me as a little kid), but couldn't talk, and that that was totally normal. It helped "normalize" deafness for me, so it didn't freak me out. It didn't make me think "hey, it's cool to be deaf", it made me think "deaf people are normal people."

Why wouldn't we want to do that with AIDS in a country where kids are sure have interactions someone with AIDS? I fail to see the exploitation of youth here.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:46 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiral_Staircase

Why wouldn't we want to do that with AIDS in a country where kids are sure have interactions someone with AIDS? I fail to see the exploitation of youth here.
AIDS is not deafness. By Making it Socially Acceptable, we're condoning the ways it is aquired. Anyways, We're going off the assumption made by Bama here that the kids just see AIDS 'appear' without any insight into how it comes about... SStreet will not delve into sexuality or how the disease comes about.. So, they're just BSing the kids.. By not giving them the full story.. they'll grow up and realize the reality.. Sesame Street is 'pretending' to expose these kids to AIDS.

Protecting the Children's Childhood,
L.Unplugged

--Bill Clinton
Old 07-16-2002, 12:32 PM   #27
War Child

Quote:

AIDS is not deafness. By Making it Socially Acceptable, we're condoning the ways it is aquired.
well....we disagree on this.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:48 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:29 AM
Normal

"By condoning the ways it is acquired"...did you ever stop to think that a lot of these children acquired this disease through the process of their birth? In what way is that morally unexcusable or even reprehensible?
Old 07-16-2002, 12:57 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LOVE MUSCLE
I wonder if the show will have a muppet Bono come visit them
am I the only one who burst out laughing at this?

anyway, good points from fizzing, melon, bama, spiral...the usual suspects.

w/r/t muppet living with HIV for 20 years...well, I certainly knew someone who lived with it for 20 years and died from something completely unrelated, and I think it would be healthy to deal with that subject with kids--the whole subject, dying from AIDS and living with HIV. When I was a kid, I dealt with 'adult issues' like threats of nuclear attack (we had drills in first grade--this was the late 60's). I think HIV/AIDS is easier to explain to kids, and something they will more likely encounter, than why someone would crash a plane into tall buildings and kill innocent people.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:59 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
"By condoning the ways it is acquired"...did you ever stop to think that a lot of these children acquired this disease through the process of their birth? In what way is that morally unexcusable or even reprehensible?
not to mention blood transfusions...wouldn't want to condone that