Same-Sex Marriage General Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I was reading my morning paper, I came across this picture

I wanted to post it in "The Conservative Case for Same Sex Marriage" thread

But that thread is no longer available

65393861.jpg

HARTFORD, Conn. (CBS Connecticut) — A Connecticut high school musical causes a public walkout after two men in the cast kissed during the performance.

It happened during the “Zanna Don’t!” musical at Hartford Public High School last Friday.

“There are always circumstances (in organizing these programs) under which the values of the student or their family come into play,” said Adam Johnson, principal of the Government and Law Academy at the high school, told CBS Connecticut.

He added that many students expressed a desire to skip the show due to the subject matter.

“It’s a balancing act of individual values and the expectations of the school … (and) it was interesting, actually, seeing the apprehension,” Johnson explained.

“Zanna Don’t!” depicts life at the fictitious Heartsville High, where students with academically-charged interests sit atop the popularity echelon while football players are the outcasts, and heterosexuals must conceal their sexual preference to avoid public scrutiny.

During the show, two men in the cast share a brief kiss — a lip lock that became a great point of contention.

“There was a public walkout by a bunch of students (when the kiss happened) … mostly male,” Johnson said. “It was visually evident (due to the jerseys the team was wearing) that a lot of football players got up and walked out. It was almost a symbolic kind of thing.”

Reportedly, the school began receiving a great number of phone calls. The dean of students was even allegedly paid a visit by a Bible-wielding parent that spoke about homosexuals in an unflattering manner.

“In the weeks prior … we were told by those organizing the play that there was going to be a boy-boy kiss,” said Johnson, noting the importance of accepting homosexual intimacy as society accepts heterosexual intimacy. “When one teacher asked if I wanted to remove it, I said absolutely not.”

The production was produced by a joint effort between a task force created by Leadership Greater Hartford’s Quest program and True Colors. It was one of 16 projects available for the taking by task forces involved in Quest, participant Louise Provenzano explained.

“Our specific task force voted for this project because we believe in it, especially in light of national and local stories about LGBTQ issues and bullying,” Provenzano, who worked on the marketing committee for the project, told CBS Connecticut. “It’s not a comfortable topic for many folks … but our group is very passionate about bringing the message of inclusiveness and … compassion to the community.”

And with Spirit Day – a holiday during which celebrants promote awareness and widespread acceptance of the LGBTQ community – coming up on Oct. 20, the timing seemed perfect.

“Through humor … and music, we’re able to address uncomfortable topics and very serious issues for many,” Provenzano said.

“Most change that comes about does require a certain amount of movement through the uncomfortable – the change process can be a bit messy and disruptive,” Ted Carroll, president of Leadership Greater Hartford, told CBS Connecticut.

After the performance, a talk back session was held to promote a dialog between students, administrators and moderators, and materials were handed out for those seeking more information about issues that affect the LGBTQ community.

Though there were members of the community put off by the show’s content, many also received it positively, Johnson said.

Its message of acceptance is especially important to proponents of “Zanna Don’t!” – which is why two more productions of the show will be performed at Hartford Public High School on Oct. 21. One performance will be for the school’s two remaining academies, and the other will be for the general public.

“I think that we’re at a time in history where there is tremendous focus on bullying and the way students are treating each other, and how they are treated, in school,” Johnson said. “We have to teach students how to respect and honor each other. (The students) need to learn about the diversity of the world and respecting the rights of all people. (I’m) really glad that we did this program.”

so i assume all the anti-choice folks are jumping down and applauding this news? because if anything is pro-life and pro-family, it's this.

Number of gay couples who adopt tripled over last decade

Associated Press

October 21, 2011

The number of gays and lesbians adopting children has nearly tripled in the last decade despite discriminatory rules in many states, according to an analysis of recent population trends.

"It's a stratospheric increase. It's like going from zero to 60," said Miami attorney Elizabeth Schwartz, who has coordinated more than 100 adoptions for gay and lesbian families in the last year. "I think many really dreamed of doing this but it wasn't something they ever thought would become a reality."

About 21,740 same-sex couples had adopted children in 2009, up from 6,477 in 2000, according to the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law. About 32,571 adopted children were living with same-sex couples in 2009, up from 8,310 in 2000. The figures are an analysis of newly released Census Bureau estimates.

The New York-based Evan B. Donaldson Adoption Institute released a report Thursday culminating a four-year project surveying 158 gay and lesbian parents and their experience with the adoption process. Their researchers found the highest number of homosexuals adopted children from Massachusetts, California, New York and Texas.

Several states specifically prohibit same-sex couples from adopting jointly, while others have a patchwork of discriminatory policies that make it difficult for gays and lesbians to adopt either as individuals or as couples. But some states have eased restrictions on gay families.

Florida stopped enforcing its ban on gay adoptions last year after a decision by a state appeals court that the 3-decade-old law is unconstitutional. The American Civil Liberties Union challenged the law, among the strictest in the country, on behalf of Martin Gill and his male partner, who adopted two young brothers from foster care.

In the past, adoption was often an option only for wealthy gay families who could afford to adopt internationally or to pay a surrogate. Allowing gay couples to adopt from foster care, where healthcare and college is paid for, opens it up to more people, experts said. The study estimates about 50% of adoptive gay families adopt children from foster care.

Earlier this year, the Arkansas Supreme Court rejected a voter-approved initiative that barred gay couples and other unmarried people living together from serving as adoptive or foster parents

Virginia allows married couples and single people to adopt or become foster parents, regardless of sexual orientation, but bars unmarried couples — gay or straight — from doing so. Earlier this month, hundreds of residents weighed in on proposed regulations that would allow state-licensed groups to turn down prospective adoptive and foster parents because of their sexual orientation.

According to the Adoption Institute, at least 60% of U.S. adoption agencies surveyed accept applications from non-heterosexual parents. Nearly 40% of agencies have knowingly placed children with gay families. About half the agencies surveyed reported a desire for staff training to work with such clients.

But some adoption agencies have bucked the rules, saying it's unfair to force them to go against their religious beliefs by coordinating adoptions for gay families.

Catholic Charities refused to recognize Illinois' new civil unions law and allow gay couples and others living together outside marriage to be foster or adoptive parents. The state tried to end its multimillion-dollar contracts, but a judge temporarily allowed Catholic Charities to work with the state.

"If one agency doesn't serve you and you're gay, then another agency will," said Adam Pertman, executive director of the Adoption Institute. "You don't need 100% agency participation. The bottom line is, if you're gay or lesbian in America and you want to adopt, you can."

About a third of the adoptions by lesbians and gay men were "open," and the birth families' initial reactions regarding sexual orientation were very positive, according to the study.

At California's Independent Adoption Center, executive director Ann Wrixon has seen an increase in gay couples adopting. In the last five years, gay families have consistently made up about a third of the 200 adoptions a year.

While the number of gay couples adopting is increasing, the overall number of same-sex couples raising kids is actually declining, said Gary Gates, demographer at the Williams Institute.

"The bulk of parenting among gay people is still people who had children at a young age with a different sex partner before they were out," Gates said.

Number of gay couples who adopt tripled over last decade - latimes.com

if you want to help children, especially our most vulnerable children in foster care, then it is imperative that you give equal rights to gays and lesbians to create families and then protect them.

if you want to help children, especially our most vulnerable children in foster care, then it is imperative that you give equal rights to gays and lesbians to create families and then protect them.

It's kind of sad.
I know 2 lesbian couples in my neighborhood who chose for one of them to get pregnant instead of adopting in the last year. Both had thought about adopting and still might, but in the end it was cheaper and easier to find a good sperm donor and have their own. Which is great, but when faced with the future costs of raising a child, it's good to be financially prudent from the start.

^ Adoption is almost always far more expensive than having a biological child. Foster adoptions are an exception to that, but only a minority of foster children are candidates for adoption, and in many cases you have to have already been doing 'regular' foster parenting, i.e. temporary monitored care of children slated to be reunited with their birth families/relatives, to be eligible. Foster parenting definitely takes a special kind of person with a special kind of commitment to children with special needs; that's fantastic that so many same-sex couples are welcoming that role.
The study estimates about 50% of adoptive gay families adopt children from foster care.

Never heard of this woman and I'm happy about that

Huffington Post

Linda Harvey, founder of Mission America, a "Christian pro-family organization tracking current cultural issues," and radio host, has a warning for the parents of America: Don't let your children see gay health practitioners.

Speaking on her radio show on Thursday, Harvey began the discussion by mentioning NCHARGE, the Nationwide Children's Hospital's Advocates Representing Gay Employees, which, as she says the group's meeting minutes show, is involved in activities like participating in a pride parade, attending a health expo on adolescent health, being concerned about same-sex partner benefits, and "planning to be identified with rainbow lapel pins."

Once she revealed those oh-so-shocking items on their agenda, she posed a question to her listeners:

"Let’s say your eleven year-old has broken her leg rather badly and needs to be in the hospital a few days, which would you prefer: a nurse who’s proud of her lesbianism, who has rainbow identifiers on her work clothing, or a nurse who does not?"

Though she admits that LGBT practitioners "can be certainly competent workers," she is worried that "they're involvement with your child during a hospital stay is sure to be an influence...they are tacking on to their workplace identity one that is highly offensive to many people and can be erroneously influential to children who won’t, or shouldn’t, see the whole picture of how this behavior really manifests itself."

Luckily, homophobic parents didn't just receive a warning from Harvey -- she also gave them some practical tips on how to make sure their anti-gay rhetoric can be applied to their children's health care. Here's what they should do:

"...Select your pediatrician very carefully... There are a few homosexual doctors treating kids, there are far more nurses, LPNs, technicians and other health care workers in these lifestyles so you may want to consider writing a letter that you file with your pediatrician that should your child ever be hospitalized, you do not want your child to be treated or cared for by one of these members of the Children’s Hospital gay employees group except in the case of an emergency situation. But for routine in-hospital care where contact with your child would be required, your values should be respected."

:sigh:

Someone certainly has issues with her own sexuality in order to hate homosexuals - particularly lesbians - so much.

Linda Harvey, founder of Mission America, a "Christian pro-family organization tracking current cultural issues," and radio host, has a warning for the parents of America: Don't let your children see gay health practitioners.

Christ, what an asshole.

A couple from a series of graphics just released by Pew, charting changes in public opinion on same-sex marriage over the last decade:

ssmage.png

ssmrel.png

Not surprised that white evangelicals would be the one religious demographic among which support for SSM has not only not grown, but declined. I am though a bit puzzled that Gen X would be the one age demographic for which this is true--why would that be?

(Also, am I the only one in here to whom it's news that my parents apparently belonged to something called the "Silent Generation"? Never even heard the phrase before...)

I am glad that I'm on the right side of history, along with a solid majority of my generation. I consider myself both Catholic (from heritage and family) and agnostic (from the most accurate description of my personal beliefs) so I'm also glad to see both of those are moving to the right side of history as well.

Not surprised that white evangelicals would be the one religious demographic among which support for SSM has not only not grown, but declined. I am though a bit puzzled that Gen X would be the one age demographic for which this is true--why would that be?

with white evangelicals, we're seeing a broader resistance to modernity in general, so not surprising.

as someone born during the Carter administration, making me either among the very youngest of the Gen X or the eldest of the Gen Y/Millennials, i have no idea. likely a data glitch? perhaps civil unions are the slacker way to compromise without much struggle? perhaps the effects of their divorced parents have forced them to reconsider recommending marriage to anyone? let me go search for the "Singles" soundtrack and see if i can find an answer ...

on a more serious note, the only possible thing i can think of is that there is a small but clear voice within the gay community that is indifferent to marriage rights, though they don't actively oppose them. there are some who feel as if the push for legal equality sucks up valuable resources and political capital that could be better used in other areas. and, further, as a generation that grew up being able to be out of the closet, but yet not thinking of it self as no different than straight people (as Gen Y gay kids do), there might be a non-conformist impulse, as articulated recently by Rachel Maddow:

"I feel that gay people not being able to get married for generations, forever, meant that we came up with alternative ways of recognizing relationships," she explains. "And I worry that if everybody has access to the same institutions that we lose the creativity of subcultures having to make it on their own. And I like gay culture."

Rachel Maddow: How This Wonky-Tonk Woman Won TV - The Hollywood Reporter

i do think that gay people have found creative way to create families, especially as my circle of friends now extends to people in their 40's and 50s. there is something kind of cool about that, and tremendously empowering about being able to live beyond the boundaries of what is and what is not acceptable. and perhaps a generation raised in divorce and famous for cynicism is cynical about marriage and it's intrinsic worth, and especially about it as a cure-all for deeply entrenched homophobia and the corresponding feelings of depression and worthlessness that virtually all gay people suffer at some point during the coming out process.

but, likely just a statistical error.

perhaps civil unions are the slacker way to compromise without much struggle?
:lol: Oh, that's gold. Well, great post. You're right, the actual decline might be a fluke, but even then, look at the size of the increase among other age cohorts; it seems undeniable that at the very least there's some kind of tenativeness coming through there, an initial strong distinction from the Boomers that doesn't quite take off for some reason.
and, further, as a generation that grew up being able to be out of the closet, but yet not thinking of it self as no different than straight people (as Gen Y gay kids do), there might be a non-conformist impulse, as articulated recently by Rachel Maddow:
there is something kind of cool about that, and tremendously empowering about being able to live beyond the boundaries of what is and what is not acceptable. and perhaps a generation raised in divorce and famous for cynicism is cynical about marriage and it's intrinsic worth, and especially about it as a cure-all for deeply entrenched homophobia and the corresponding feelings of depression and worthlessness that virtually all gay people suffer at some point during the coming out process.
That does make sense. And I suspect you'd probably find the "no different" difference broadly mirrored in straight Gen Xers' attitudes versus straight Ys', too--rejection of the uglier stereotypes still prevalent among older generations, but a lingering skepticism towards the idea that the love, the longing, and the potential they hold are really the same. Likewise for the skepticism (cynicism?) towards marriage in general...I mean, I'm married, and not a product of divorce, but even so, were I to think about it generationally, yeah, I do sometimes have the perception that both Boomers and Ys are all sappy-chirpy, "Love makes a family" and stuff, whereas I'm all faux-hardass :sick: No, commitment, discipline, and sacrifice make a family, stop kidding yourself.* (And the funny thing is, I suspect some of my older gay friends, with the 'unconventional' families and communities they've built together over the years with not a little tears, loneliness, and stiff upper lip in the process, I suspect they might be the first to agree with that sentiment.) But those "corresponding feelings"--moving towards abolishing forever the necessity of undergoing those, yes, that would be the single most important progress I could think of.

[ * ETA -- DH drily suggests we're only half-right, that it may be more to the point that Xers are just now hitting the age where large numbers of us are getting divorced ourselves and are thus deeply soured on marriage-related anything, whereas Millennials haven't even gotten around to marrying yet and as for Boomers, well, they got divorced 20+ years ago so have long since worked through it... ]

Last edited:
AnnArbor.com, Oct. 31
Andries Coetzee has already started looking for a new job. The University of Michigan linguistics professor is afraid he’s going to lose benefit allowances for his domestic partner of seven years, who is in remission after an exhausting battle with soft tissue sarcoma, a rare type of cancer. A recurrence is an all-too-real risk, and good health care is essential, argues Coetzee, who has been with partner Gary Woodall for seven years.

But domestic partner benefits for state employees—including staff at Michigan’s 15 public universities—are in jeopardy due to a bill that seeks to save approximately $8 million a year by eliminating the benefits. House bill 4770 was approved by the Michigan House of Representatives in September in a 64-44 vote and is currently under consideration by the state senate.

Coetzee, who moved to Ann Arbor from South Africa ten years ago, said he is frustrated that rights for same sex couples in Michigan appear to be “moving in the opposite direction” of most communities...“I question my decision to come to Michigan,” Coetzee said. When Coetzee accepted a job at U-M, he also turned one down at New York University. “I chose Michigan because it just seemed better. But now New York just made same sex marriage legal and now in Michigan…they want people like my partner to not get treated.”

U-M Latin professor Sara Ahbel-Rappe said that if bill 4770 passes there will likely be a large exodus of professors who leave the university. “It’s a total slap in the face. It tells me that I don’t deserve the same consideration” as heterosexual couples, she said. “People will leave.” Ahbel-Rappe and six other professors authored a letter to Gov. Rick Synder asking him not to sign bill 4770 if passed by the senate. The letter calls the bill discriminatory and says it will negatively affect staff recruitment at the university.

U-M officials are also concerned about the bill’s effects. Nearly all of U-M’s competitors offer benefits to same-sex partners. So do most Fortune 500 companies. “These benefits are important for the successful recruitment and retention of our top-flight faculty and staff,” said Cynthia Wilbanks, U-M’s vice president of government relations. “We’re in competition on a lot of levels, this would be an added competitive disadvantage.” Wilbanks said the university is actively lobbying politicians in Lansing. Will it be enough? “If the bill gets to the senate floor there will be a vigorous debate..." she said, "but over a long career, I have learned not to speculate.”

...Scott Dennis has been a librarian at U-M for 14 years. His partner of 10 years originally moved to Ann Arbor after being lured by the school's domestic partner benefits (that partner now runs his own business). Dennis says, if passed, the bill would be an insurmountable blow to U-M. “I am concerned for the university as a whole,” Dennis said. “It would be a really damaging blow to the university’s reputation as a fair and humane employer. I think it would cause us to lose faculty and never get them back.”

"It is not the responsibility of taxpayers to support the roommates and unmarried partners of public employees," [Rep. Dave] Agema [R-Grandville] said in a statement.
Yeah, "roommates" who don't have the option to get married and hence "deserve" the usual spousal benefits, because your state doesn't allow that. :down:

I'm just relieved and happy that Kim Kardashian's right to a 72 day marriage remains fully granted and protected by law in all states :up:

Making all kinds of money off of it and getting all kinds of gifts and freebies (even though you'll deny it) is so very sanctified too.

I'm just relieved and happy that Kim Kardashian's right to a 72 day marriage remains fully granted and protected by law in all states :up:

Making all kinds of money off of it and getting all kinds of gifts and freebies (even though you'll deny it) is so very sanctified too.

if she could marry women too
she would probably be divorced four or five times by now.

Maybe that will be next

I guess her marriage at age 19 lasted three years, so she did much better then. Maybe this whole divorce thing is a publicity stunt too. Who knows, but whatever way you slice it it makes a mockery of marriage. But she has every (legal) right to.

She says she's a hopeless romantic and falls in love hard. She's not the only one who does that, but maybe it's time to take some time to find out what truly knowing someone and still being "in love" is. What a relationship is completely apart from "romance".

And living real life outside of cameras-that might help too.

Kim Kardashian =
"No one is so useless as to not be able to serve as a bad example."

I hope this is another chink in the armor in the sacredness of marriage. Unfortunately, marriage is the very loose term we use for government-sanctioned, legal unions. There is no reason that gay marriage is not a simple case of equal protection under the law. :gah:

Dear Kim,

My mother brought me up to write my thank you notes on Crane's Informal Notes with good penmanship -- but in this case I'm hoping a blog post will suffice to extend to you my deep appreciation, profound thanks and tremendous gratitude.

I am not sure you can appreciate just what a gift it is to have the extraordinarily well-publicized news of the end of your hysterically hyped marriage come the very week our congressional leaders are set to begin debating the Respect for Marriage Act on Capitol Hill.

Seriously. As a marriage equality activist, I cannot thank you enough for your gift of the stunning example of how the gender of the couple saying "I do" clearly has absolutely nothing to do with respect for the institution of marriage. It is a gift -- I promise you -- that will keep on giving.

As we continue to work for family values that value all families and a protect-marriage movement that protects all marriages, we will have your example to add to Britney Spears' 55-hour marriage, Larry King's eight marriages and Newt Gingrich's three (just to name a few) as proof positive that marriage needs protection, all right -- but not from gay and lesbian couples who want to pledge to live together until death do them part.

We will have another great example to contrast to those couples building lives, families and a future without the 1,138 federally protected rights that you and Kris Humphries enjoyed for the 72 days you were married to each other, rights like social security, inheritance, taxation, hospital visitation and immigration status, just to name a few.

We will have another opportunity to talk about the values that make up a marriage; values that transcend the gender and sexual orientation of the couple; values like fidelity, monogamy, mutual affection and respect, careful, honest communication, and love; the values that we in the Episcopal Church have held up as the standards we hold for relationships blessed by our church.

And it will give me the chance to talk about the marriages I know about that actually embody all those traditional values that were so utterly lacking in your $10-million nuptial debacle, like Alec and Jamie, gay men who have been together for 10 years, married since 2008, new parents to a 5-year-old son adopted out of the foster care system, a son they are raising in a stable, loving home, bringing him to Sunday School every Sunday, and teaching him to write thank-you notes on Crane's Informal Notes with good penmanship.

So thank you again, Kim. As we work without ceasing to secure for Alec and Jamie and their family the rights you and Kris threw away after 72 days of marriage, I hope you will know how deeply grateful we are for the "on a silver platter" gift you gave us this week as we head into Senate judiciary hearings on the Respect for Marriage Act and look ahead to the repeal of DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act). Honestly, we just can't thank you enough.

Sincerely,

The Reverend Canon Susan Russell
All Saints Church, Pasadena

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom