Same-Sex Marriage General Discussion Thread - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:49 PM
Suquamish Tribe approves same-sex marriage

Old 08-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #32
45:33

Local Time: 07:49 AM

I wish those were the stories that went viral. (the one about josh)

Old 08-30-2011, 04:49 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:49 PM
jezebel.com

Poll Shows Many Religious Groups Support Gay Marriage

A new poll shows that, perhaps unsurprisingly, young people are far more likely to support gay marriage than older ones. More surprising, however, is that several religious groups are now in support of marriage equality.

According to the Public Religion Research Institute, 62% of millennials (people aged 18 to 29) favor gay marriage, while only 31% of those over 65 say the same. Not too shocking, although it's worth noting that the poll also found an increase in support for gay marriage over the last five years, suggesting that views are changing. There's good reason to hope that by the time millennials are senior citizens, their pro-equality views will dominate.

The PRRI notes that "conventional wisdom" dictates that religious people oppose gay marriage. However, their poll found that 67% of non-Christians who identify as religious are in favor of marriage equality. So are 52% of Catholics and 51% of mainline Protestants. Evangelical Protestants are largely anti-gay marriage, but the percentage differs by race. Seventy-six percent of white evangelicals are against the practice, while only 60% of black evangelicals are. This contradicts the notion, advanced by Dan Savage and others, that black Americans are disproportionately homophobic. Another interesting finding: a majority of religious people of all denominations (including evangelical Christians) believe that "negative messages from America's places of worship" contribute to the suicides of gay youth. Sounds like it's time for religious groups to start making change from within.

Public Religion Research - Research
Old 08-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #34

They polled our politicians here the other day... and I think most of them were in opposition to it. Now, more than ever, I can't possibly fathom how anyone who would not describe themselves as homophobic or bigoted, could be against it.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
jezebel.com
Another interesting finding: a majority of religious people of all denominations (including evangelical Christians) believe that "negative messages from America's places of worship" contribute to the suicides of gay youth. Sounds like it's time for religious groups to start making change from within.
Public Religion Research - Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
...Now, more than ever, I can't possibly fathom how anyone who would not describe themselves as homophobic or bigoted, could be against it.
Exactly. As someone who wasn't always raised in a loving environment, I can tell you that it's absolutely the most important thing -- no matter the parents' (or parent's) gender... The inspiring story Irvine posted on Josh underscores that fact.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:36 AM   #36

I love the people who say they aren't homophobic, that they support gay marriage, but they don't think gay parents should be able to adopt or do surrogacy, because "then the child will grow up thinking that's normal", like predisposing a child to two dads instead of a dad and a mum will make the kid gay, and that they should have a mum and a dad to get that even balance.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:58 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I love the people who say they aren't homophobic, that they support gay marriage, but they don't think gay parents should be able to adopt or do surrogacy...
That's just another example of attitudes driven by ignorance and historically predominant views... If something were to happen to me after I have kids, I would put the gay friends I know at the very top of the list to take them in.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:54 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:49 PM
I like it when someone who has gay friends say they only support civil unions. Sometimes I feel like telling those friends of theirs what that person really thinks about homosexuality, because it is telling.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

K-Y Intense to launch commercial with lesbian couple

K-Y® Brand INTENSE®: Alex & Emma - YouTube
Old 09-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Rick Santorum Gay Parents Argument | Rick Santorum | Video | Mediaite

GOP presidential hopeful Rick Santorum got into a heated discussion with a student at Penn State recently over the issue of same-sex parents and their impact on the development of their children.

Santorum, upset over being called a “bigot” by CNN’s Piers Morgan, pointed to the Bible and Roman Catholic teaching to bolster his beliefs regarding same-sex marriage and parenting, asking how 2,000 years of moral theology could be considered bigotry. And he was worried, he said, about the implications of allowing gay marriage and gay parents:

This has profound consequence to the entire ecology, moral ecology, of America. It will undermine the family. It will destroy faith in America. And does anybody go out there and make the argument as to why this is a good thing, because it will happen. Make the argument why this is right. I don’t hear those arguments.

“There are plenty of arguments,” replied one student, who doesn’t appear on camera. When asked to elaborate, she said it was “extremely unfair” of Santorum to say that there no social science reports suggesting children fared just fine with two same-sex parents, because there are actually a whole slew of them. (In fact, one such study recently made headlines of its own.)

The two then argued about the legitimacy of the American Psychological Association, and, well. A resolution was not reached, to say the least.

Take a look at their discussion, taking note of the awkwardness and cringing it caused in the students standing along the back wall
Old 09-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

We are.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The two then argued about the legitimacy of the American Psychological Association, and, well.

did they argue about the legitimacy of the Vatican?
Old 09-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

The Santorum thing has been a hot topic in the paper, and the conservatives on campus are all hot and bothered that a "minor protest" outside about gay rights was given attention in the paper.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #44

Quote:

Santorum pointed to the Bible and Roman Catholic teaching to bolster his beliefs
Old 09-07-2011, 04:56 AM   #45

Katter now believes gay marriage should be "ridiculed" and would cause Australia's population to "nosedive".