religious expression or genital mutilation? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2007, 08:47 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:25 PM
it's weird -- i personally prefer a circumsized penis (nothing against the uncut, though, like those too) but i wish i wasn't circumsized.

go double standards!

but, were i to have a male child, there is no way he'd be circumsized. the foreskin is there for a reason.

as for this situation ... i suppose legally the boy can choose to have this done, but if i were the mother i'd fight like hell to prevent it from being done as well. but the law might be on the side of the father.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:21 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

I say everyone can bugger off and let the kid decide for himself. I don't really care either way on male circumcision. I think that it's best for the baby boy to match the father (like when the kid is little and might have issues looking "different" than his dad), but in this case, the boy is not a baby, so he's not going to be in the tub with his daddy any time soon. Therefore, it's no one else's biznaz and he can decide for himself.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:49 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

But don't you have to like. . .clean. . .under the flap of skin if you're uncircumsized.

I read about that in the sex ed books as a kid and I was always glad I didn't have to mess with that.

I don't suppose that's a particularly compelling argument, but I really don't see circumcision as much different than getting your ears pierced or other forms of "mutilation." As long as it's not causing harm/dysfunction (as is the case with female circumcison) I don't see what the issue is.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:31 AM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

I don't suppose that's a particularly compelling argument, but I really don't see circumcision as much different than getting your ears pierced or other forms of "mutilation." As long as it's not causing harm/dysfunction (as is the case with female circumcison) I don't see what the issue is.

do you know how many nerve endings are in the foreskin? your ability to receive sexual pleasure is dramatically reduced. is it comparable to FGM? no. is it still mutilation that comes from an anti-sex ethos? yes.

penises were born with foreskins. why remove them?
Old 09-19-2007, 08:53 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:25 PM
I've never met a circumsiced man .

It's not common here.

But basically, I'm against any form of physical change on babies or small children, besides for health reasons. I think people should have the right to grow up and decide themselves what they want to do to their bodies. It's not right to do something like that to babies, they cannot object to it.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:59 AM   #21
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 04:25 AM
damn straight about the removal of lots of goody nice feeling nerve endings. You circumsized boys are missing out.

Also that whole 'unclean' idea about a foreskin is untrue. Of course if you don't wash it and you'e a mangy dog then its going to be dirty either which way, if you're a normal person and wash normally - everything is hunky dory.

but its a lot more painful to get circumsized as an adult then as a baby... so this let them choose thing wouldn't work so much.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:43 AM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by dazzlingamy
but its a lot more painful to get circumsized as an adult then as a baby...

this is what concerns me to.

it's very painful. amazing what religous ferver will to do you, and cause you to do to your children.

i can't imagine circumsicision as being some kind of be-all-end-all for Jewish-hood.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #23
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 09:25 AM
Quote:
But don't you have to like. . .clean. . .under the flap of skin if you're uncircumsized.

Of course, just like you have to clean your ears and wash your hair. It's just another body part.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:36 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

Of course, just like you have to clean your ears and wash your hair. It's just another body part.

yes, but this means parents have to say the word p-e-n-i-s to their little boys.

:shudder:
Old 09-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #25
Acrobat

It's definately losing popularity among younger people. I can think of several people I know who have chosen not to circumcise their babies.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:04 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

Funny, I almost mentioned in my last post that I have enough trouble remembering to wash behind my ears. . .
Old 09-20-2007, 04:12 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

yes, but this means parents have to say the word p-e-n-i-s to their little boys.

:shudder:
Irvine, do you really think that what's motivating most people (especially non-Jewish people) to get their boys circumsized? A fear of having to talk about penises? I can assure you that wasn't the case in my family.

And religious fervor? I can't speak for any other faiths but I don't think I know of a single Christian who thinks circumcision is some sort of requirement of the faith. I know it has NO religious connotations for me at all!

I think your strongest argument would be that people continue to circumsize out of a kind of blind sense of tradition and "Well, isn't that what you're SUPPOSED to do" and "Well, I want my son to look like me" and so on. I think THAT's what's motivating most people (and it's what would motivate me).

As to the loss of nerve endings. . .well, perhaps my sex life is a sad, empty shell of what might have been, but it sure doesn't seem that way. I know we've been through this before in an early thread, but I'll say again, that speaking as a circumsized man I've never felt marred or as if I was missing some vital thing. And I kind of resent people trying to convince me that I should feel that way.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:13 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by last unicorn

But basically, I'm against any form of physical change on babies or small children, besides for health reasons. I think people should have the right to grow up and decide themselves what they want to do to their bodies. It's not right to do something like that to babies, they cannot object to it.
So where's the thread of outrage against piercing the ears of young girls?
Old 09-20-2007, 04:32 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:25 PM
Quote:

Don't most piercing holes close up -- even ones years old -- if you take the jewelry out? Mine always have. I've never yet heard of a foreskin growing back.

As for circumcision, not being male, and not having children, I don't really care either way. As long as it's clean and works well either is hunky dory with me.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:00 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Well I can tell you that I was - and still am - outraged that my parents forced me to have my ears pierced as a young girl, it hurt like hell and I hardly ever wore earrings. Seriously, I don't remember being asked about that. Growing up, I hoped my holes would disappear or close, which they have almost done. So, yes, I'm against that as well. Parents do a lot of things to their kids just because THEY want it that way.

(Oh no, I just realized I might have a pierced ears trauma ...)