Religion is fiction - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2002, 06:20 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:17 PM
2000 years ago, a lot of information was passed word of mouth. People today of course doubt the accuracy of that form of communication, but to my amazement through genealogical research on my own family, I have found that stories and such things passed through word of mouth are in fact true, through actual records that I was able to dig up that had previously not been available. By the way the earliest books of the New Testament were dated to 125 AD that have been found so far. Also there is the box of James, son of Joseph, brother of Jesus that was just recently found. Why does Christianity recieve this level of scrutiny when other events, perhaps with less "evidence", in the same time period, do not?

Old 12-11-2002, 06:39 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:17 PM
I would like to add a twist.

Lets drop the "Christianity" word and simply exchange it with Religion (like in the title).

How are we to be certain (no matter what religion we are) that those documented events actually took place, moreover, does it matter if they didn't?

Old 12-11-2002, 06:50 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:17 PM
ouizy,

Some of your posts may seem cavalier or disrespectful to believers.

I do not believe that is your intent. This discussion will not, and should not change any believersí opinions.

One thing many of us can agree on. The principles espoused by Jesus i.e. compassion, charity, forgiveness, love, are worthy principles. These concepts I can embrace. I donít need the promise (bribe) of eternal life to see the value in their practice.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:58 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
ouizy,

One thing many of us can agree on. The principles espoused by Jesus i.e. compassion, charity, forgiveness, love, are worthy principles. These concepts I can embrace. I donít need the promise (bribe) of eternal life to see the value in their practice.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:08 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 08:17 PM
There has been a lot of archealogical proof that people and places in the bible actually did exist. The wall of the temple is still standing, and the coffin mentioned above. How else do you preserve what these people said and did but by what people have written?

The bible says Jesus died on a cross so our sins could be forgiven. You can find that does happen in your life, but you have to make that leap to find out.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:05 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I truly mean no disrespect, especially to those with faith.

I only posted after I read Diamond's post "Tough to be Catholic these days"

I simply started to think and wondered how people would react if it was somehow 'proven' that some of the things stated in the bible never occurred. How would we react?

This is not meant to insult people, but to question. If religion cannot be questioned, there is something wrong with religion.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:56 PM   #22
Refugee

What I meant by"What is a fact is how do we know that these things are proven? If I havent been to Australia how do I know it exists? Because someone tells me it does? How can I trust someone to tell me what is and isnt fact?
Old 12-12-2002, 07:38 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by ouizy
I truly mean no disrespect, especially to those with faith.

I only posted after I read Diamond's post "Tough to be Catholic these days"

I simply started to think and wondered how people would react if it was somehow 'proven' that some of the things stated in the bible never occurred. How would we react?

This is not meant to insult people, but to question. If religion cannot be questioned, there is something wrong with religion.
As in, say, "what would I do if the Pope discovered Jesus's bones?"

I don't know.

William F. Buckley, Jr. said once that he would convert to Judaism if that were the case, in case anyone is interested.