Reading the Bible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read the Koran recently - just to get a different perspective on a lot of my misconceptions about Islam. I cant say I garnered any deep understanding - but comparing it to the Bible, ironically the Koran has a far lesser body count! Thats for sure!

Anyhow - wasnt there a kind of 'novel' version of the Bible released a ways back...? Basically it was re-appraised as a more linear "story".

Dunno...

I just know that in Italy there's a man that has re-written the Bible in rhyme

Don't ask me how he has done!

i looked through a bible the other week just to check out Psalm 40 and how similar the lines are to U2's '40'.

it was interesting.

^ Uhm...that's because Bono cribbed the lines. ;)

I think we're all forgetting the "Jive Bible" so popular in the 70s.

I just got the Marcus Borg book. It's excellent for anyone with either a Catholic or mainstream Protestant inclination. I've always felt pretty daunted by the idea of actually reading the whole Bible and wonder where to start and all of that stuff. I feel less so with this book.

I have always been spiritual but not too religious growing up. 4 years ago last Easter I was fully initiated into the Catholic church and have been blessed ever since. I would recommend getting yourself either a student edition of the Catholic bible (the one I have is wonderful, it's ISBN # is 0195284054) or a New International version (non Catholic but easy to read). I have tried reading it front to back but did not get as much out of it as when I started in the new testement with on of the deciples (I recommend John) because they are much easier to read and more interesting (IMHO). Secondly maybe go to a Mass. Once you get over it being "boring" and you listen to your heart during the gosiple readings it can actually be quite moving.

Good luck,
Amanda

thatsnotmypuppy — check out "The Message," by Eugene Peterson. I think that's what you're talking about. It's also a favorite of Bono's.

Peace.

Back
Top Bottom