Random Subway Bag Searches - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 07-22-2005, 09:28 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 08:53 AM
Originally posted by financeguy

I agree that kind of thinking is blinkered. Cambridge students have a reputation for being lefties, I didn't realise Edinburgh was like that.

great, smart people -- and they know how to drink. had loads of fun. and it might just have been the people i was with. and, to be honest, at that point in my travels i'd developed a bit of a chip on my shoulder. and it was only 6 months post-9/11, so my sensitivity to international criticism was a bit high.

but as i've mentioned before, the assumption of America as the source of all evil in the world is really offensive to me. i found myself defending the US in much, much stronger terms than i would ever do at home.

i dislike bush immensely. i dislike virtually everything his administration has done. but i just don't think there's a grand conspiracy at play.

Old 07-23-2005, 07:24 AM   #47
Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 11:53 PM
One question, since when does a country HAVE to be a democracy? I mean the usa is one and if that ain't one fucked up society then i dont know what is.

It just annoys me that people think tthat a democracy is the 'best' system in the world. In theory, it sounds great, but so does communism. In practice its a whole different ballgame.

Now i KNOW saddam was abad man bad man! but that ain't because iraq wasn't democratic....

i mean GWB was elected again democratically and hands who thinks that was a good idea?

Old 07-23-2005, 07:43 AM   #48
love, blood, life
Local Time: 10:53 PM
Life in freedom is not easy, and democracy is not perfect. ~ John F. Kennedy
Old 07-23-2005, 08:05 AM   #49
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 01:53 PM
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Life in freedom is not easy, and democracy is not perfect. ~ John F. Kennedy
Great quote
Old 07-23-2005, 11:39 AM   #50
love, blood, life
Local Time: 01:53 PM
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Giving into your enemies demands to stop them from attacking you is what appeasement is
You're quite fond of throwing the appeasement thing around.

I found the following extract from the Wikipedia article on neo-conservatism interesting in this regard:-

"In foreign policy neoconservatives have a tendency to view the world in 1939 terms, comparing adversaries as diverse as the Soviet Union, Osama bin Laden, and China to Nazi Germany, while American leaders such as Reagan and Bush stand in for Winston Churchill. There is also a tendency to accuse leftists, and others who oppose them as being appeasers and/or Anti-American. The fullest account of this is Donald and Frederick Kagan's While America Sleeps, the entirety of which is dedicated to these comparisons."