Racial Profiling Or Legitimate Grounds For Suspicion And Arrest? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2006, 06:28 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
OK, the digital camera makes the whole thing more clear.
wtf?

I went to NY/ Manhattan in 88

and took pictures of Brooklyn Bridge. WTC,
Grand Central Station, Empire State Building, it is what people do. take pictures of land marks.

If one goes to Paris they take pictures of the Eiffel tower. London, Big Ben and bridges. I have taken pictures of oil refineries at night, and the San Onofre Nuclear site.

I am glad I am not a Muslim between the ages of 17-40.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:30 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:07 AM
This is stupid.

I know people who buy lots containing hundreds of CDs and other stuff on eBay so they can resell them. It's not that unusual. I can easily see someone doing the same thing with cell phones simply for resale.

I didn't even know you could set off a bomb with something like a cell phone until last week's foiled terrorist plot in London.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:58 PM   #18
The Fly

Local Time: 01:07 PM
There is probably more to the story. I have heard something about them recruiting various people to make cell phone purchases at Walmart --- perhaps one of them tipped this strange behavior to the police? There were also some reports the police discovered many of the cell phones disassembled, which makes the re-sale alibi questionable.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:07 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

BTW, it's since been reported that their original alibi was true, and that the police investigation has come up with nothing related to terrorism. They really are resellers of cell phones.

Melon
Old 08-15-2006, 12:12 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

yeah,
but aren't they Muslims?
Old 08-15-2006, 03:57 AM   #21
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:07 AM
I'd want to take someone in for some questions if they had 1000 mobiles on them and I was a cop. But I'd be wondering primarily if the phones were stolen.

Is it racial profiling to use anyone's description, or just Middle Eastern folk? It sounds like some think physical descriptors cannot be used anymore, at all, which is ridiculous, I reckon.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:05 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
yeah,
but aren't they Muslims?
Yes and that should be what rang alarm bells, not that they are Arab.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:18 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Interesting article about profiling

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeraly...i_b_27286.html

Why do we need terrorists to destroy the cornerstones of democracy with bombs when governments are willing to do it themselves out of fear? Isn't that a sign that the terrorists have won? First it was the U.S. with its Patriot Act and warrantless NSA surveillance program, and now it's Britain, which is considering a new racial profiling program aimed at Muslims based on behavior, ethnicity, and religion.

"The government is discussing with airport operators plans to introduce a screening system that allows security staff to focus on those passengers who pose the greatest risk. The passenger-profiling technique involves selecting people who are behaving suspiciously, have an unusual travel pattern or, most controversially, have a certain ethnic or religious background."

...The people-based program -- called Screening Passengers by Observation Technique, or SPOT -- began undergoing tests at Boston's Logan Airport after 9/11 and has expanded to about a dozen airports. Trained teams watch travelers in security lines and elsewhere. They look for obvious things like someone wearing a heavy coat on a hot day, but also for subtle signs like vocal timbre, gestures and tiny facial movements that indicate someone is trying to disguise an emotion.

The TSA says that, because the program is based on human behavior, not attributes, it isn't vulnerable to racial profiling. Critics worry it still could run afoul of civil rights. "Our concern is that giving TSA screeners this kind of responsibility and discretion can result in their making decisions not based on solid criteria but on impermissible characteristics such as race," says Gregory T. Nojeim, associate director of the American Civil Liberties Union's Washington legislative office.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:23 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

How many terrorists get on El Al flights, and what methods do they use?
Old 08-16-2006, 01:18 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eat-th...-_e_27366.html

Yesterday on Fox News' "Dayside," conservative radio host Mike Gallagher proposed that airports institute a "Muslims only" line for airport travelers during a segment Tuesday on racial profiling. Meta, that. From Newshounds, who "watch FOX so you don't have to":

"Dayside" co-host Juliet Huddy set up the debate by noting that all terrorists have been Muslim extremists, and Jerrick claimed that some people oppose racial profiling as "politically incorrect."

"It's not just a matter of political correctness, please," responded [constitutional lawyer Michael] Gross. "It's illegal, it's unconstitutional, unethical, immoral, it shouldn't be done. We do not in this country prejudge a person based upon their race, creed, color, country of national origin and it's wrong to do so and it addition it's not effective. It doesn't work. It actually perpetuates the problem. That is, it separates us."

Gallagher responded that Gross's statements were "absolutely absurd" and claimed that the Traffic Safety Administration is aggressively targeting uniformed members of the military. "Let's have a Muslim-only line," Gallagher said, as Gross started to talk.

Jerrick asked Gallagher to repeat what he said.

"It's time to have a Muslims check-point line in America's airports and have Muslims be scrutinized. You better believe it, it's time," Gallagher said, garnering tepid audience applause.

According to the Newshounds account, despite Gross' clarification above, the debate was framed as a "political correctness" issue rather than one of unconstitutionality.

I can't believe anyone in the audience applauded
Old 08-17-2006, 07:48 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Profiling won't work. Not unless you're going to get into it as heavily as El Al does. (And even then El Al has a lot less people to deal with on a regular basis than the thousands that fly in and out of multiple international airports all across our country).

If I were a terrorist, I'd die my hair blond, use colored contact lenses, and certainly not admitt to being Muslim so I had to join the "Muslim-Only" that Gallagher is suggesting.

The terrorists generally don't arrive with flowing robes, turbans, and wild beards, clutching the Koran in one hand and a bomb in the other.

Mohammed Atta looked pretty sharp and clean-cut in the security cam shots of him on Sept. 11.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:53 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

His name was Mohammed wasn't it?
Old 08-17-2006, 08:20 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
The civil rights lobbies are working from a passé play book. They are blind to the lethal nature of the new Salafist totalitarianism. They won't recognize that we are facing an irrationalist movement immune to compromise and dedicated to achieve its ends of controlling every aspect of daily life, every process of the mind, through indiscriminate mass slaughter. It is a culture obsessed with death, a culture that despises women, a culture devoted to mad hatreds not just of Americans and Jews everywhere, but of Muslims anywhere who embrace a less totalitarian, less radical, more humane view of Islam. These Muslims are to be murdered, and have been in their thousands, along with "the pigs of Jews, the monkeys of Christians" and all the "dirty infidels".

Nor is the repellent language of hate limited to recognized terrorist groups like al-Qaida, Hizbullah and Hamas. It is in the school textbooks in Palestine and in the schools of our "ally", Saudi Arabia. They promised to clean them up but a recent Washington Post investigation showed the books still tell the young they have a religious obligation to wage jihad against not only Christians and Jews but also Muslims who do not follow the xenophobic Wahabi doctrine. . . .

These are historic fault lines. The right tolerated fascism in the thirties, the left Soviet Communism in the fifties. Of course these two earlier totalitarian movements were different in nature and our response when it came was not always well judged - the tendency is to think first of the excesses of the right typified by the witch hunts of the odious McCarthy, but we should remember, too, that the Democratic party in the immediate postwar years of Henry Wallace would have abandoned Europe just as the left in the eighties would have left Europe at the mercy of the new Soviet missiles.

The apologists for the Islamo-fascists - an accurate term - leave millions around the world exposed to a less obvious but more insidious barbarism.
http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/harold_evans/2006/08/harold_evans.html
Old 08-18-2006, 12:37 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
His name was Mohammed wasn't it?
But wouldn't the next generation of terrorists travel using false documents with Western names? Or am I getting too movie-like here?
Old 08-18-2006, 12:46 AM   #30
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean
If I were a terrorist, I'd die my hair blond, use colored contact lenses, and certainly not admitt to being Muslim so I had to join the "Muslim-Only" that Gallagher is suggesting.

The terrorists generally don't arrive with flowing robes, turbans, and wild beards, clutching the Koran in one hand and a bomb in the other.
Precisely. A "Muslims only" line will just serve to single out and potentially punish all the honest, decent Muslims out there.

Any terrorist would just claim to be a Christian and breeze through any profiling.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog