Proselytizing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nbcrusader said:

And that is the faith system you are promoting.

Promoting it to who? I talk about it here at interference because I get annoyed with the remarks of some fundamentalist Christians.

In real life, I dont mention it. Not interested in mentioning it. Its my business and mine alone.

I am a Christian and my boyfriend is Muslim, so this has been an issue on my mind. We are comfortable enough to talk about our different religions and beliefs. I will disagree with him and he will disagree with me. Or we find we have points in common. But we've not tried to convert one another. I feel that as long as the other party is actually party to the conversation, that is, participating in a real and interactive way...then maybe it's not proselytizing per se. There is a difference between two consenting adults exchanging views and one talking down to another, treating them essentially as a vessel for their knowledge. Hmmm, as I wrote that, I just realized that perhaps there is an unintentional reference to sex. :huh:

nbcrusader said:
How do you know? You may not realize the results of your actions. As I said, it may not be intentional.

I would have to actually know some religious people to influence them away from religion. And I dont. Most people I know are atheists /agnostics / dont give a stuff. The only Christians I "know" are you lot in FYM.

Edited to add: Proselytizing, to me, is someone actively attempting to change another persons view. If someone alters their world view because of some interpretion of my actions, then they are just as likely to change their opinion again when someone else says something. :huh:

Last edited:
Going with the definition provided :

Main Entry: pros·e·ly·tize
Pronunciation: 'prä-s(&-)l&-"tIz
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -tized; -tiz·ing
Date: 1679
intransitive senses
1 : to induce someone to convert to one's faith
2 : to recruit someone to join one's party, institution, or cause
transitive senses
: to recruit or convert especially to a new faith, institution, or cause

I think everyone does either of these to an extent.

I for one, as a christian do feel that when I speak my mind on anything I hope that God uses what I say to compell people to think. I sometimes speak before I actually consider what God wants me to say though so that can kinda backfire.

In terms of getting people to jump on board (i.e with a political cause or charity) I mean when I worked for GreenPeace, I would definitely say I had more of an agenda when I was speaking to people more so than I do now when it comes to sharing my faith. Same goes for when I used to do letter writting campaigns for Amnesty. I find it ironic actually, after coming back to my faith about 11 years ago, I have done less in terms of "causes" then I did when I was living outside of where God wanted me. I suppose it is because with my faith, the best way to display it is with my actions in my day to day life. I guess that is sorta personal but I dunno, just seemed right to share it.

Take care,

Carrie

nbcrusader said:
How do you know? You may not realize the results of your actions. As I said, it may not be intentional.

Would we not do better to reexamine our own actions?

I know I am constantly reevaluating my opinions

deep said:
Would we not do better to reexamine our own actions?

I know I am constantly reevaluating my opinions

Why would it be "better"?

I would think they are the same thing. I would suggest that most re-evaluate their own actions - it is just a matter of what plub line one uses for the evaluation.

By my everyday actions, most people think I'm a pretty good Christian. That makes me smile because I am an agnostic atheist. One co-worker absolutely refuses to believe I'm an atheist. I think that's just fine.

I am not out to deconvert anyone, but when topics are presented to me I don't hesitate to state my opinions. Whether the topic be my favorite foods, what I thought about a movie, gay rights, The Bible, or why I don't believe in anything supernatural.

I guess stating my love for Chinese food could be considered to be proselytical to some, but I don't care I love Chinese food!

I done some proselytizing though, I did write a letter to the editor in support of my favorite candidate for President. I have written my congressman and senators on issues important to me. And my friends would vouch for me being a U2 proselyte! :)

BTW, is proselytizing supposed to be bad? I thought it was a part of our First Amendment rights, right along side religion.

NotAnEasyThing said:

Just curious...what is an agnostic atheist?
Aren't they either/or kind of positions?

Good question...

Many over simplify the meanings of agnostic and atheist. A gnostic is someone who professes an understanding or knowledge of God, a theist is someone who believes in a God. An agnostic is someone who doesn't profess an understanding or knowledge of God, and an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in a God.

An agnostic can be a theist, atheist or indifferent.

Basically, I don't see enough strong evidence in our world that an all knowing, all powerful, all loving being is real, and I have no beliefs in any gods. That's what an agnostic atheist is.

starsgoblue said:

To an, for lack of better word outsider, it may not seem like a difference but there really is. The issues that unforetunatly seem to divide the two are huge...

The differences of fundamental theology between Catholics and Protestants are relatively slight

The Northern Ireland divisions in my opinion are no longer principally about religion but about two communities who want to impose their will on each other. Some religious leaders may have fanned the flames for their own ends but in my opinion the key problem is not religion.

To my knowledge I haven't done it on the subject of religion.

I have had it done to me though, and it makes me very very angry :mad: :madspit:

And no, it didn't change my beliefs--I'm pretty stubborn :cool: :laugh:

I've always thought that an agnostic is someone who isn't sure there is a God or not, and an atheist is someone who doesn't believe there is a God.

financeguy said:

The differences of fundamental theology between Catholics and Protestants are relatively slight

The Northern Ireland divisions in my opinion are no longer principally about religion but about two communities who want to impose their will on each other. Some religious leaders may have fanned the flames for their own ends but in my opinion the key problem is not religion.

I agree...I've never seen huge differences between the two. I think people just like to think there are big differences, as having big differences justifies their choice. And to be honest, the bigwigs in all religions want their religion to be "the one" so they really can't market it as "the same as all the others with some stylistic differences." That just wouldn't have the same appeal.

Back
Top Bottom