prior knowledge of September 11th, 2001 - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2002, 05:45 PM   #106
you are what you is

Local Time: 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
Ummm..sorry to disappoint you, but technically, the US did not, I repeat not, develop nor fund Al Qaeda. The only time we funded Bin Laden was when he was a "freedom fighter"
that is being very technical indeed

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Old 05-10-2002, 06:08 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome:
Quote:
Ummm..sorry to disappoint you, but technically, the US did not, I repeat not, develop nor fund Al Qaeda. The only time we funded Bin Laden was when he was a "freedom fighter"
that is being very technical indeed
Yes it is, but I ahd to point out that very important distinction. When someone says we funded Bin Laden and then leave it at that, they are only saying the provocative part. What they leave out is that what we trained the Mujahadeen to fight the Soviets. We did not train them in "Terrorism 101" Of course, it does make it more of a shocker when people phrase it as "The USA trained Al Qaeda and Bin Laden".

Old 05-10-2002, 06:14 PM   #108
Refugee

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by sv:
And who developed and helped fund Bin Laden and Al Queda? By all accounts, the U.S. military and intelligence community.
Ummm..sorry to disappoint you, but technically, the US did not, I repeat not, develop nor fund Al Qaeda. The only time we funded Bin Laden was when he was a "freedom fighter" (mujahedeen) against the Soviets. Neither the Taliban nor Al Qaeda existed at that time.

80's has a VERY good point

Old 05-10-2002, 06:20 PM   #109
you are what you is

Quote:
We did not train them in "Terrorism 101" Of course, it does make it more of a shocker when people phrase it as "The USA trained Al Qaeda and Bin Laden".
I agree
now that the results are the same you do have to wonder whether it was a good idea in the first place to finance the Mujahadeen
even though it probably served a purpose at the time

------------------
Salome
Old 05-10-2002, 06:21 PM   #110
Refugee

Quote:
Quote:
We did not train them in "Terrorism 101" Of course, it does make it more of a shocker when people phrase it as "The USA trained Al Qaeda and Bin Laden".
I agree
now that the results are the same you do have to wonder whether it was a good idea in the first place to finance the Mujahadeen

If we didn't help..the afghan people ..would be speaking russian

Old 05-10-2002, 06:30 PM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:58 PM
Quote:
I agree
[/QUOTE]
That is definitely one thing we're left wondering about...
Old 05-10-2002, 06:50 PM   #112
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by Arun V:

and that was the reason why the Mujahadeen got funds?

------------------
Salome

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 05-10-2002).]
Old 05-10-2002, 10:00 PM   #113
Refugee

Quote:
Quote:

and that was the reason why the Mujahadeen got funds?

They got funds because reagan wrote checks like it was a bodily function. ...But unlike the war with iran...and funding iraq..I can see teh logic is funding the majahadeen to contain the soviets

Old 05-10-2002, 10:12 PM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:58 AM
Actually the only funding that the USA sent Iraq was minor compared to what they were recieving from the Soviets and Chinese. We gave them a lone for grain, trucks and a few transport helicopters. Compared that to over 20,000 armored vehicles, over 10,000 artillery pieces, over a thousand aircraft supplied to them by the Santa of Saddam, the Soviet Union.

When talking of the Majahadeen, remember that the Northern Alliance also came out of that group and fought hard against the Taliban and UBL and his pathetic group Al Quada for many years. With are massive help last fall, the Northern Alliance finally freed the country of the nightmare which was the Taliban and its rule and abuse of Women and girls.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:46 PM   #115
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2:
Actually the only funding that the USA sent Iraq was minor compared to what they were recieving from the Soviets and Chinese. We gave them a lone for grain, trucks and a few transport helicopters. Compared that to over 20,000 armored vehicles, over 10,000 artillery pieces, over a thousand aircraft supplied to them by the Santa of Saddam, the Soviet Union.

When talking of the Majahadeen, remember that the Northern Alliance also came out of that group and fought hard against the Taliban and UBL and his pathetic group Al Quada for many years. With are massive help last fall, the Northern Alliance finally freed the country of the nightmare which was the Taliban and its rule and abuse of Women and girls.

learn something new everyday
Old 05-10-2002, 10:47 PM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sv:
Regarding MOTIVE: For a long time, the U.S. has recognized that a united Islamic world, if accomplished, might pose the greatest threat to U.S. hegemony. In 1998, Dick Cheney stated that the greatest near-future threat to U.S. national security was the possibility that the oil reserves in Central Asia would be controlled by an Islamic government unfriendly to U.S. ambitions.
If you are talking about some type of pan-continental theocracy, then, yes, I think that is a threat to not only the U.S., but the world in general.

Obviously, they would first take out the moderate governements within the Islamic world (Jordan, Turkey, Morocco, etc.), then knock off Israel on a Saturday afternoon, and the Palestinian, Egyptian and Lebanese Christian the next Sunday ("kill the Jews on Saturday, kill the Christians on Sunday" is an old saying among Hezbollah, Hamas, and their crew).

Next, they would turn to the East and take out democratic India, get them back for all that Hinduism and tolerance of Christianity and Buddhism while not allowing Kashmir to break off as a seperatist theocracy. Then, China...look out! All of that religious opression is going to "blow back" on you, along with not allowing a seperatist theocracy in the Pyongyang region! Philippines: watch out, they are going to hate you for not allowing Abu Sayef to set up a seperatist theocracy.

One thing I must point out to you: Afghanistan is not considered a viable oil resource state; the terrain is too rigid and the resources too deep. It would be like drilling oilfields in Appalachia. There has been discussion of a Central Asian pipeline through Afghanistan though, and maybe that is what your were on about.

The point is, theocracy disturbs me, and theocratic imperialism is even worse. What SHOULD we do when these movements mold into action? Respect the "cultural" background of it and say "Isn't that beautiful!"?

~U2Alabama
Old 05-11-2002, 03:02 AM   #117
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:58 PM
Maybe MissMac was drinking too much coffee or
something.
I dunno.
diamond

------------------
AIM= diamondbruno9
Old 05-11-2002, 03:48 AM   #118
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond:
Maybe MissMac was drinking too much coffee or
something.
I dunno.
diamond

Diamond had prior knowlede of september 11th.
On september 10th he called me and told me

" Hey Arun tomorrow is September 11th"

------------------
In the time when New Media was the big idea

" He's Half a rock star"

" It's okay to be a crap guitar player, just don't be so tall"

" your not fucking me are you"

" we're gonna get there, cos we have faith, and I have faith in you".

" I'd like to dedicate that to our new friend Arun"

Bono 10/13/01
Old 05-11-2002, 04:58 PM   #119
Banned

Local Time: 08:58 PM
Quote:
OK...this is it...

Just because I value peace, and don't believe that the american military should place lives at risk by performing police operations everywhere doesn't mean I'm against the war on terrorism. And anytime your pro american in FYM your likely to get your balls chopped off.

and to say that I dont' love the american ppl...is ludicrous. Number 1 you are not a qualified source to determine what MY emotions are and second NO ONE gave you the right to determine what patriotism is and isn't. Why don't you let me determine what my feeelings are and express them how I choose.

and to say I dont' care about the needy in america?????

prior to september 11th I have said that the military budget should be trimmed to take care of the needy in america. Post september 11th that sacrifice cannot be made ( though I think the military should be a bit less wasteful with it's money).

My track record on this forum and to anyone that actually listens to me is clear. "oh arun said this, arun that" this thread isn't even about me to begin with.

You;ve expressed what some would consider anti american views in this thread..you dont' see me attacking your love of this country.

[This message has been edited by Arun V (edited 05-10-2002).]
UM. First of all. You wouldnt dare attack my love for america or i'd have your balls snipped off and tossed down the garbage disposal. Secondly, i never said you were against the supposed(snicker snicker) war on terrorism. I said i was surpsrised that you supported it. You left me with the impression that all americans were evil and all foreigners, esp non white ones, were poor innnocent victims.
Did i say you were unpatriotic?! I said you dont care about the poor and other needy americans. If you do, you can just prove that. Tell me allllllllllllllllll about how many americans you have helped, and saved, what youve done for us, the rights youve fought for,laws, etc, etc etc. I bet instead of helping americans, Youll just keep going babbling about foreigners, and trying to solve a problem so enormous, that its almost inevitable that you will fail and your work will be for nothing. Better to actually save one life then to try and fail to save many.
I'm not stopping you from expressing your feelings. I'm just pointing out how wrong I think you are, and the image you project.
Um, everyone has the right to their view on what patriotism is and isnt.
My Views are not anti american, they ARE anti government, and anti evil.
I nkow youre extremely concerned with your popularity here, and thats why you cannot handle the fact that i'm questioning you and your views.
I on the other hand do not give a rats ass what most here think.
You dont know me, and if you can judge me, then its perfectly fine if i judge you as well.

[This message has been edited by Miss MacPhisto (edited 05-11-2002).]
Old 05-11-2002, 05:08 PM   #120
Banned

Local Time: 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi:
i know politicians. not american ones, but canadians. are they criminals?
i was on student council, am i a criminal?
Sorry, I dont know anything about Canadian pols.