President George W. Bush is our commencement speaker....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been to rallies protesting Bush's policies. However, I would never demonstrate during a commencement, I don't care who the speaker is. A commencement is not a political event. If Bush were giving a speech promoting his Social Security policies at the local Chamber of Commerce, you'd better believe I'd be demonstrating. That's politics. If it's a non-political event like a commencement I would not protest. Period. I'd try to get a ticket and hear what he has to say to a non-political audience. Who knows, it could be pretty interesting, and of course he has a great sense of humor, I actually like his jokes. I don't think the speech would be boring, which alot of commencement speeches are.

If Bush reads the kids "Oh the Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss and tells them to reach for the stars, it's not a political event. But if he so much as mentions an iota of Iraq or 9/11 or terror or freedom -- and I bet that he will -- then it will most definitely be a political event so protest away. Any time the president is at a public event using taxpayer money to pay for security and transportation etc. you can protest if you want. If the school is paying for his airfare and security detail, then they can block out who they want. But I highly doubt that is going on.

If you believe the government is doing wrong, you can protest. You may get into issues if you take the protest inside and the fact that it's a private school is duly noted. That being said, the sidewalks are public property. Protest there all you want.

OK, the sidewalks are public property. I wouldn't go into the room itself and hold up an anti-Bush sign. If there was a peaceful protest organized at a different place on the campus, I suppose I would go. I don't have a shortage of issues to protest against, trust me.

sharky said:

If you believe the government is doing wrong, you can protest. You may get into issues if you take the protest inside and the fact that it's a private school is duly noted. That being said, the sidewalks are public property. Protest there all you want.

Not the ones on-campus. The campus is pretty self contained, but it's got very busy streets on any side so there's really no place to protest. The school may not be paying for airfare, etc, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the DeVos camp would...

Last edited:
verte76 said:
I have been to rallies protesting Bush's policies. However, I would never demonstrate during a commencement, I don't care who the speaker is. A commencement is not a political event. If Bush were giving a speech promoting his Social Security policies at the local Chamber of Commerce, you'd better believe I'd be demonstrating. That's politics. If it's a non-political event like a commencement I would not protest. Period. I'd try to get a ticket and hear what he has to say to a non-political audience. Who knows, it could be pretty interesting, and of course he has a great sense of humor, I actually like his jokes. I don't think the speech would be boring, which alot of commencement speeches are.

thank you.

there is a time for protest.

there is a time to have some friggin respect for the people who are graduating and not muck up one of the best moments of their lives. go protest him at the airport or somethin.

No matter the speaker, one should attend his or her commencement. I worked very hard while at Alverno College, received the highest honors, and my graduation was one of the top moments of my life, almost up there with seeing U2 in concert. I can't even remember the speaker's name. Her speech was filled with totally cliched "you go girl" Oprah-speak. I kept zoning out, wishing it was Bono up there giving the commencement speech, not this boring twit.

It shouldn't be too bad. Maybe he'll have an interpreter.
or you can watch the media coverage afterwards to see what he actually meant to say.. when he say's whatever it was that wasn't written (by someone else) for him to say.

sharky said:
[ It's a quote from Thomas Jefferson -- "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism." I think he had it right. [/B]

I'm sorry, but I am pretty sure Jefferson did not say that. I think it is an urban myth spread across the internet. Just check his papers online at Univ. of Va.

sharky said:
If Bush reads the kids "Oh the Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss and tells them to reach for the stars, it's not a political event.

One of the Valedictorians at my high school graduation did this :lmao:.

I wouldn't protest at a graduation, it's not fair to the students on their special day. If it were my commencement I would still go, I wouldn't be thrilled he was there, but I would not let his presence ruin my graduation. I would probably not clap or stand at the end of his speech though, just sit quietly, I don't think that that would disturb anyone else.

President Bush raised eyebrows on Tuesday when he asked locals in Galveston, Texas:
"Do you still have Splash Day?"

"Splash Day" is the annual "adult oriented enormous beach party" celebration on the Gulf Coast.

BUSH: Do you still have Splash Day?

(LAUGHTER)

BUSH: You have to be a baby boomer to know what I'm talking about.

(LAUGHTER)

BUSH: I'm not saying whether I came or not on Splash Day. I'm just saying, Do you have Splash Day?

(LAUGHTER)

Bush was unaware "Splash Day" is now a fully gay and lesbian event on the beaches.

verte76 said:

I still haven't woken up from my commencement. You all are just part of my elaborate (blue) dream.

Dalton said:

BTW I am surprised to see how many Calvin folks are around. Shouldn't you be out smoking?:wink:

Maybe if I had the slightest clue what you were talking about I could answer.....

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Maybe if I had the slightest clue what you were talking about I could answer.....

Long running Calvin joke (at least it was when I was there) that so many take up smoking at Calvin cause there is so little to do in the winter months.

Sounds like you have a bit of angst happening - exam time?

Dalton said:

Long running Calvin joke (at least it was when I was there) that so many take up smoking at Calvin cause there is so little to do in the winter months.

Hmm, yeah, I guess a lot of people do smoke here. But I don't really notice it since I don't live or hangout on campus, just here for work and class. I'm not really sure why so many people take up smoking in college.....I don't have any good friends who have, but I know a lot of people here do.

Angtre01 said:
John Kerry would have been a good leader. You guys are a joke. He is your commander in chief, show some respect.

I wouldn't show respect for a CIC when he never armed them proprly from not enough protective bodyarmour to not enough heavier aremored vehicles, to cutting benifits for almost all veterans......:mad: :mad: :shame: He doesn't deserve it, becuause he doesn't respect our fighting forces/or their various backup people.

Man, things are REALLY heating up around here!

It looks like there's no way I'll get a ticket. Rumor has it that a ticket swap of one FAC ticket (sit in an auditorium and watch the live telecast on the big screen) for one Fieldhouse ticket (see Bush live) cost $300 under the table. I can't imagine how much people are straight up buying them for.

melon said:
Do you have to sign a loyalty oath to go to your commencement?

Melon

Uh.....I don't know what that is so I'm guessing no. I'm only a junior this year, but I wasn't planning on walking next year just b/c that means you have to stick around and do all this "seniors" garbage, pay for your cap and gown, etc. I just don't really care all that much about big ceremonies and celebrations. My parents have never been the type to obsess over accomplishments. We all do what we have to do to get by. They won't be disappointed if I choose not to walk.

Well, today was quite the calm before the storm. Hardly anyone on campus anywhere, except people like me who are already getting into the swing of working full time all summer, and the secret service people who've been snooping around all week. It was very sunny and warmed up a bit. The grass is pristinely mowed and all of the landscaping is in order.

I'm told there will be a protest march tomorrow, from the nearby shopping mall down the East Beltine (busy street/highway that cuts through part of our campus). They can't come on the campus b/c it's private property, thank God.

There's been a deluge of hate mail and hate phone calls flooding in this past week to pretty much anyone who works or teaches. Many alumni and donors have threatened to pull their kids out of school (like that's the parents decision anyway) or stop donating.

Two of our more liberal professors were on Sean Hannity the other day and were, of course, ripped to shreds.

Personally I'm not sure why anyone would want this man to give any type of speech. Even a lot conservatives agree the man can't speak.

I saw the man give a commencement speech at my college. Not my graduation but my cousin's. This is a VERY coservative college which now is home to the George Bush senior library. It was right before his election. He was govenor of TX and son of GB so "everyone" loved him. His speech was horrible and I'm not saying this because I don't like the man but even my very Republican parents said "that man can't speak". He used it too much for his campaign and was overall just boring.

I know having a president is exciting and all, but I'd much rather have someone who really knows what it means to fight for life, a cause, has passion...someone to deliver the speech that sends you off to the real world. Face it GWB has never faced the REAL world, why would you want him to give your speech?

Just my opinion.

And to all you C students out there, I want to tell you...someday you, too, could become President of the United States.
--George W. Bush, in a commencement speech at Yale

:|

diamond said:
off topic-
Do Calvinists still believe in 'predestination'?

Yes, we do. Most of the students at my school aren't true Calvinists though. Most people in general have misunderstood Calvin's "predestination".

BVS, I agree, the man's a terrible speaker. I gues my answer would be, we weren't really trying to get him to come to our school, but were contacted by the White House and accepted their offer to have him speak. This is actually not the first time he's been here. I believe we hosted a Republican primary debate in 2000.

We are actually not much of a conservative school. Traditional, yes, but conservative (religiously and politically)...not really.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

but were contacted by the White House and accepted their offer to have him speak. This is actually not the first time he's been here. I believe we hosted a Republican primary debate in 2000.

I do not believe Colleges or Universities are the place to hold partisan political events. I believe education should be separate from partisan politics.

Back
Top Bottom