Prayer - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2005, 10:00 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:32 AM
Prayer

I visit this site from time to time and I checked it out again and I thought of you guys.
I'm just wondering what people here think of prayer. Do you pray? How often? What about? Do you think it works? What if nobody prayed?

The site is http://www.24-7prayer.com/cm/ and it's about these prayer groups all over the world, what they're praying for and other things. It gives me goose bumps just seeing that there are people constantly praying around the world.

There's also a link to Operation World, which is a great resource that sometimes is published in a book, that has things to pray for for each country and then there are certain days set aside for each country.

Also, while we're on the subject, if anyone has any prayer requests, I'd love to send some up for you.

Old 05-02-2005, 10:04 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:32 AM
I pray here and there, but not as often as I should. Yes, I believe it works.

Old 05-02-2005, 10:10 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:32 AM
I do it on occasion. I was never really one for standing around with a group of people holding hands and praying-for some reason, that just didn't work for me. Whenever I do it, it's on my own time, in my own personal way.

And yeah, I think it can work-I think it's mainly 'cause of the positive thoughts being passed around, because there have been instances where positive thoughts are in part responsible for helping people feel better and stuff, so...

Angela
Old 05-02-2005, 10:12 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:32 AM
I try to pray daily. Usually in the morning after reading from my One-Year Bible.

It helps me prioritize the important things in life and keep me mindful of where I go astray.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:21 AM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

i think prayer is much like mediation -- great for the person performing the act, but i don't see any evidence of it's efficacy for other people beyond whatever peace and clarity it gives the person praying or meditating. but if it makes that person who prays go out and be a better person and make the world a better place, i think it's a wonderful thing. i don't think, however, that it can ever be a substitute for things like, say, medicine. close family friends of ours, years and years ago, had a child with cancer. he has since survived and is well into his 30s, married, and does wonderful cancer research. however, his parents are evangelicals, and understandably freaking out at the thought of losing their child, they brought him to faith-healer-types out in the desert, praying to Jesus at the expense of chemotherapy and traditional medicine. thankfully, my father stepped in and talked them out of that particular course of treatment.

they continued to pray, but he got his chemo, and he's never had a relapse.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:24 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:32 AM
I pray every day. I do believe there are results, too, I see them all the time.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:25 AM   #7
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:32 AM
I pray just about every day, very often while I'm driving, and anyone who's driven with me can attest to why that is.

No, seriously...I'm really into prayer. I try not to pray for specific things (although I do), but rather the faith and strength to accept God's will in my life. And I do pray for people I know who are sick or suffering, and for their friends and families.

Join Amnesty.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:50 AM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I pray every day. I do believe there are results, too, I see them all the time.

can you tell me about some of the results? i am curious.

my instinct is to say that no one prays, and then an illness is cured as a result of that prayer. correlation does not prove causation, and while prayer probably does help in myriad ways, the direct curing of a disease, or passing the trigonometry final, or whatever, has everything to do with human performance, not divine intervention.

but i'm very curious -- would love to hear what you have to say.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:57 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

opium, anyone?
Old 05-02-2005, 11:00 AM   #10
She's the One

Actually, studies to look at the efficacy of prayer in medical situations are starting. Some have shown evidence of benefits. I can't link you to them, but the articles were in the LA Times recently.

When my family had a deep tragedy 12 years ago, my husband and I could feel the prayers of people who loved us.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:02 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

I'll look for the studies cited by Martha, but the kicker was the improvement in patients who did not know that people were praying for them!
Old 05-02-2005, 11:05 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

can you tell me about some of the results? i am curious.

my instinct is to say that no one prays, and then an illness is cured as a result of that prayer. correlation does not prove causation, and while prayer probably does help in myriad ways, the direct curing of a disease, or passing the trigonometry final, or whatever, has everything to do with human performance, not divine intervention.

but i'm very curious -- would love to hear what you have to say.

In December 2003 I misplaced a ring set with rubies. I didn't see the thing for weeks. Finally, I was looking in a messy drawer for something, and I looked down and saw the ring. OK, most likely the ring was there the whole time, but I think I was guided to the sight of the ring. The whole experience was too amazing for me to want to take full credit for what happened. I was so shocked, in a happy way, of course.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:24 AM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I'll look for the studies cited by Martha, but the kicker was the improvement in patients who did not know that people were praying for them!

they sound really interesting -- would love to read them.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:26 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I chat with God sometimes, but it is usually very informal. I don't know if that qualifies as prayer or not. My boyfriend, who is Muslim, prays five times a day! And that includes doing ablutions and getting out the prayer rug and getting down on his knees and whatnot. Even though I doubt the efficacy, I have to admire his dedication.

Old 05-02-2005, 11:51 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I don't pray as often as I should- in private it's more like sharing certain feelings w/ God, in church I have specific prayers I might say before Mass.

Mostly I ask God for strength, and if a specific person is having trouble, I remember them. I know for a fact when I have asked God for strength, He has given it to me. I know it didn't come from anywhere else. More accurately perhaps, he helped me to discover it within myself and to truly believe it was there.