Plasma TVs Are A Girl's Best Friend - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2006, 01:24 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
I actually do hate diamonds. They're WAY over-valued, WAY over-priced, totally unoriginal, and for me they kind of represent a lot of things I hate about today's world (people slaving their asses off in sorely underdeveloped countries so that the rest can flash their jewels and not have to think about where they came from).

I'm with you on that!

Old 08-03-2006, 02:15 PM   #62
War Child

Local Time: 06:33 PM
I want a diamond engagement ring - not saphire or pearl or anything else - a diamond....besides aren't some people slaving thier asses off (whether our country or another) to make some of these wonderful tech gadgets we love such as laptops and digital cameras???? Really don't see having a beautiful engagement ring is flashy - now if you wore a tiara camping then yeah...maybe

Old 08-03-2006, 02:29 PM   #63
The Fly

Local Time: 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MsGiggles
....besides aren't some people slaving thier asses off (whether our country or another) to make some of these wonderful tech gadgets we love such as laptops and digital cameras????
Good point - we all know about blood diamonds but I was surprised to learn recently that many of the minerals used in e.g. the lab top I'm typing on right now also come from Central Africa and are the cause of as much, if not more, human misery when warlords fight over mining rights.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:47 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MsGiggles
....besides aren't some people slaving thier asses off (whether our country or another) to make some of these wonderful tech gadgets we love such as laptops and digital cameras???? Really don't see having a beautiful engagement ring is flashy - now if you wore a tiara camping then yeah...maybe
I agree, thus the use of the word "represents." That's what comes to mind when I think of diamonds, so they turn me off. Of course if we boycotted everything that was manufactured in some part by the developing world, we'd be left naked and homeless.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:01 AM   #65
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 12:33 AM
I'd take the TV (or spiffy digital camera with related gadgetry) over a diamond or diamonds anyday. I agree they have become a kind of status symbol and I'm not into that. I've got some diamond jewelry I'm considering selling. I'll take the money and travel. After my divorce I flung my wedding ring off the back of a cruise ship into the Pacific ocean! I guess I'm not into material possessions