Peterson....to die - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2004, 08:30 AM   #46
War Child

Local Time: 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

but most of my objections to the death penalty stem from the way in which it is implemented -- which is to say it's terribly racist and classist, crude, is not a deterrant to crime, is a waste of money, and has a terrifying finality to it.
I agree it's not a deterrent, and it's a terrible waste of taxpayer's money, and I am firmly of the opinion that Jesus would NOT approve of more killing. It solves nothing. To say nothing of the possibility, however remote, that maybe Peterson (and others) actually did NOT do the crime.

However, how exactly is it racist ? If you get caught, and found guilty, you do the time/suffer the punishment, regardless of race.

Any socio-economic reasons behind a disproportianately high number of one type of person on death row doesn't wash, you do the crime, you do the time.

It's like calling the NBA guilty of racism because most players are black. Well, if they are better players.....

Old 12-14-2004, 08:32 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:06 AM
Quote:

though i still don't understand how someone -- not necessarily you -- would outlaw abortion, then gleefully flip the switch in the next breath.
I don't know how else to say it. The baby has done nothing wrong. The killer has!!! Big difference there!

Quote:
Scott Peterson should be removed from society forever. end of story. another dead body will not bring back Laci and Conor, and as someone else alluded to, rather beautifully, why place closure on a murder with another murder?
Because someone so henious who committed such a sick act and deprived his own wife and child of life does not deserve his, and I don't know why you think he does. They didn't have a chance and he doesn't deserve one. I can't stomach anyone caring more about the life of a vicious cruel hearted killer than an innocent baby. I swear, I can't come back here anymore, this really upsets me. I must go.

Old 12-14-2004, 08:35 AM   #48
Refugee

Does anyone think this case would have garnered as much media attention if Laci hadn't been pregnant? I seriously doubt it.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:38 AM   #49
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:06 AM
I find it surprising how so many are screaming for blood for a murder case that is one of the most famous cases built on circumstantial evidence. Well I'm not that surprised.

Not saying I don't think he did it. But as far as murder cases go this really wasn't a open close case.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:39 AM   #50
War Child

Quote:

OJ Simpson has MONEY. lots and lots of MONEY.

OJ also had CELEBRITY, which had a lot to do with hsi getting off. He also faced an incompetent prosecution, and his case was handled by a star-struck judge who also became wrapped up in himself.

Quote:

rich people don't get executed,

Maybe rich people tend not to commit murder murder in the same numbers as poor people do. ? I truly don't have the numbers, but I'd suspect rich people tend not become involved in gang killings and be involved in robberies which go wrong, etc.

Quote:

poor people do, and in this country, where race often denotes class, this usually means a disproportionate amount of black men get executed whereas white Mafioso never do.
Again, I don't have the numbers on white Mafioso, or Vietnamese gang killings in SoCal, or any other race of organized crime (Vietnamese in SoCal, Eastern European on East Coast, Chinese in San Francisco etc etc.) but I'd suspect however that the reason organized crime heads don't get the death penalty might be due to the plea-bargaining process, they have information which Law Enforcement might deem worth trading for ?
Old 12-14-2004, 08:40 AM   #51
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Golightly Grrl
Does anyone think this case would have garnered as much media attention if Laci hadn't been pregnant? I seriously doubt it.
I think you are absolutely right.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:08 AM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

No, there wouldn't have been this much publicity if Laci hadn't been pregnant. That added to the story big time because in effect Scott killed two people, not just one.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:34 AM   #53
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Because someone so henious who committed such a sick act and deprived his own wife and child of life does not deserve his, and I don't know why you think he does. They didn't have a chance and he doesn't deserve one. I can't stomach anyone caring more about the life of a vicious cruel hearted killer than an innocent baby. I swear, I can't come back here anymore, this really upsets me. I must go.
Even when he got life behind bars he wouldn't have a life anyway. His life would then belong to the prison. The only thing that would remain was his body in a small cell and hopefully some conscience eating it all away.
Now, he has lawyers, appeals, celebrity, more priviledges (because he is going to be murdered by the state) and the notion that it's still not over for the family of the victim.

So how is having a death sentense worse than having life behind bars?

C ya!

Marty
Old 12-14-2004, 10:38 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
No, there wouldn't have been this much publicity if Laci hadn't been pregnant. That added to the story big time because in effect Scott killed two people, not just one.
And the fact that she was gorgeous.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:40 AM   #55
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino
However, how exactly is it racist ? If you get caught, and found guilty, you do the time/suffer the punishment, regardless of race.

Any socio-economic reasons behind a disproportianately high number of one type of person on death row doesn't wash, you do the crime, you do the time.
The poor don't have access to many (and very good) lawyers. And they often suffer from stereotypes (colored, poor background, poor living circumstances, etc.) And when it is a matter of life and death (and influencing the jury), that is a very big difference.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:42 AM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
The pregnancy didn't add much to the story. Scott contacting his mistress during the "search" for Lacy added the sex appeal the news wants.

The killing of baby Conner is also downplayed due to the number who believe (or will only agree to) the murder of one person.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:18 AM   #57
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn

The poor don't have access to many (and very good) lawyers. And they often suffer from stereotypes (colored, poor background, poor living circumstances, etc.) And when it is a matter of life and death (and influencing the jury), that is a very big difference.
None of what you said explains why the death penalty itself is a racist thing.

You made valid comments on the ability of the poor to get good legal representation, and you made a valid comment that some JURORS might be racist, but that doesn't explain why the death penalty is racist.

Bottom line is that if you don't commit murder, chances are strongly in your favor that you won't be tried, convictd and receive the death penalty, no matter WHAT color you are.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:31 AM   #58
Blue Crack Supplier

No, when you get falsely accused, you can still be tried, convicted and executed. So you don't even have to commit murder to get murdered by the state.

BTW, proportionally more black accused get the death penalty (and especially when the victims are white) than do white accused (regardless of the rase of the victim).

From the ACLU website:
http://www.aclu.org/DeathPenalty/Dea...m?ID=9312&c=62

Quote:
While white victims account for approximately one-half of all murder victims, 80% of all Capital cases involve white victims. Furthermore, as of October 2002, 12 people have been executed where the defendant was white and the murder victim black, compared with 178 black defendants executed for murders with white victims.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:35 AM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:06 AM
So, is the concern with the principle of a death penalty, or the conditions under which it is imposed?
Old 12-14-2004, 11:37 AM   #60
Blue Crack Supplier

For me, it is the principle. But the conditions also play a big part in why it is wrong.