PETA comapres raising animals for food to the Holocaust - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2003, 09:29 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:01 PM
some of peta's campaigns are dangerous and misleading - one that sticks in my mind is their anti-milk ads aimed at kids.

they make ludicrous and unsubstantiated claims all of the time. and i dislike their rather militant tactics.

Old 03-04-2003, 10:35 PM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 02:01 PM
I hate PETA people with an intense and undying passion. We get them at rodeos all the time, from just protesting out front to feeding the stock (usually making them sick) to actually opening pens and "freeing" the animals. Yeah, because a goat is gonna survive real well in a desert full of coyotes.
The really sad thing is that there are so many people who join and suport PETA who have no idea of the awful things that organization does.

Old 03-04-2003, 10:37 PM   #18
She wore graaaapes

Local Time: 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Screaming Flower
i loathe peta. everytime i see one of those bastards on tv i want to put on my leather jacket and eat a steak.

I never cared much about buying/wearing a fur coat, but after hearing about this BS campaign of PETA's, I'll buy one now just to spite them!

Old 03-04-2003, 10:40 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

i have a feeling you and i would get along quite well.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:41 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

PETA is misguided and irresponsible.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:45 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:01 PM
I agree with Dr. Teeth. Though I think PETA is overly militant a lot of the time, I think they're making their point well with this campaign. It's not like they're trying to sell Diet Coke or anything with these ads. They're MEANT to be shocking and to make people think.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:46 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

I enjoy meat too much to actually listen to PETA. I bet over half of them have Vitamin B12 deficiencies, which have made them all a bit high strung.

Melon
Old 03-04-2003, 10:59 PM   #23
She wore graaaapes

Quote:

i have a feeling you and i would get along quite well.
**high fives SF and passes the bottle of A1 Steak Sauce**

Old 03-04-2003, 11:01 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

i'll make sure to wear fur head to toe.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:02 PM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

i'd go throw steaks at where ever the local peta office is... but i wouldn't want to give up those sweet sweet steaks... mmmmmmmmmm... sttttteeaaaaaaks...
Old 03-04-2003, 11:20 PM   #26
She wore graaaapes

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i'd go throw steaks at where ever the local peta office is... but i wouldn't want to give up those sweet sweet steaks... mmmmmmmmmm... sttttteeaaaaaaks...
Old 03-04-2003, 11:30 PM   #27
Creator of the Blue Crack

Normal

First... Peta's Mission Statement:
Quote:
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), with more than 750,000 members, is the largest animal rights organization in the world. Founded in 1980, PETA is dedicated to establishing and protecting the rights of all animals. PETA operates under the simple principle that animals are not ours to eat, wear, experiment on, or use for entertainment.

PETA focuses its attention on the four areas in which the largest numbers of animals suffer the most intensely for the longest periods of time: on factory farms, in laboratories, in the fur trade, and in the entertainment industry. We also work on a variety of other issues, including the cruel killing of beavers, birds and other "pests," and the abuse of backyard dogs.

PETA works through public education, cruelty investigations, research, animal rescue, legislation, special events, celebrity involvement, and direct action.

Now... I'm sure some of you know/have read my feelings about Nazis and the Holocaust..... and that is basically that I feel strongly that things should not be compared to such events.

Peta's Mission reads very righteously, and for the most part I even agree with it... even though I am currently a 'meat eater'. However, while this campaign is well thought out and even makes some valid comparisons, and accomplishes their usual goal of being shocking... they are also accomplishing their goal of getting these issues into the public eye, and getting people to think and talk about them. And... I actually applaud that. BUT, on the other hand, I have found this campaign to be completely disrespectful of the millions that died in the holocaust, their families, and human history in general. The holocaust is not something that should be just thrown around in an ad campaign. Not even the Holocaust Museum(s), and other related organizations, pull stunts like this. Which brings be to another hand (assume I have 3 for this conversation ).... I LIKE the fact that they are piggie backing Holocaust awareness onto their own campaign.... perhaps a side affect... but there are still people in the world today that deny 12 MILLION people were ever killed and that the Holocaust ever happened, this puts it right in everyone's faces. It's a reminder.

The value of life, human or animal, should not be placed based on whether one can drive a car, or talk. I wouldn't kill my cats for fun, they are a part of my family, as are my 7 fish, and even the snails in the tank.

... yet I still eat meat. But would I if I had to go out and kill it myself? I dont think so. How about you?

I'm not a vegetarian, I'm not a member of PETA, but I am human, and I was born, eat, breathe, sleep, go to the bathroom, and will die.... just like EVERY OTHER person and animal on this planet.

Perhaps we're not equal in being 'exactly the same'.... but if you want to go that far... perhaps women are superior to men because they have the ability to give birth. Surely with science today, us guys could be rendered obsolete....

People and animals are all living creatures, and what PETA is attempting to point out is that they all deserve to have the same rights. Ethically, and morally, I can't argue with their mission statement.... and to say you're going to go buy/wear fur and eat meat just to spite PETA is pathetically immature and neanderthal like.

Like I said, I eat meat (...and thanks to my wonderful gf for still loving me even though I do), but I don't think it's right.

PS... Human slavery used to be widely accepted, as did racial segragation, lynching, etc. Being accepted in present times doesn't always mean it's 'OK'.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:35 PM   #28
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
some of peta's campaigns are dangerous and misleading - one that sticks in my mind is their anti-milk ads aimed at kids.

they make ludicrous and unsubstantiated claims all of the time. and i dislike their rather militant tactics.

Yeah, that anti-milk thing was idiotic.

And I have no respect for an organization that will destroy someone's personal property to make a statement. I don't particularly care for real fur but throwing red paint on someone's $3000 coat and breaking store windows because the retailer "dares" to sell fur is ridiculous to me.

I think many people join PETA not knowing just how militant they really are.

Now give me a steak...medium rare
Old 03-04-2003, 11:54 PM   #29
Dub
The Fly

Local Time: 03:01 PM
I totally agree with Elvis, though I am a meat-eater, I do buy organic meat and try to buy animal products from humane reputable companies, even though the price is higher. I love animals and I just because an animal is not as intelligent as a human (I should qualify this by saying we measure intelligence based on the human mind) that doesn't mean they don't feel pain, loneliness, despair, etc. Many animals have qualities humans would love to possess eg. a shark's ability to sense the most minute electrical field emmitted by a fish, an electric eels defensive mechanisms or a spiders ability to spin a web which if taken to our own proporsions, would be one of the strongest yet most flexible materials on earth. So it really does depend on your perspective.
I don't agree with PETA using inflammatory tactics that are totally inappropriate and will not change people's opinions, if anything, it drives them away. I can see what they are trying to do, but they are doing it all the wrong way. As long as humans still treat other humans with complete inhumanity, there is no hope for our animal companions on this earth. We need to respect our own species before we can truly learn to respect all life.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:55 PM   #30
Ghost of Love

I just want to say that I think fur coats for the most part represent a cruel industry that is by and large unnecessary. I don't liken it to rawhide, cause don't we eat the meat too? In that manner we aren't really killing something just for its pelt, if Im thinking correctly here.

Fur pelts on the other hand make us kill small animals just for their pelt. That's pretty disgusting to me.

And I do eat meat, I believe it to be my God-given right. To be honest tho I prefer more fish and seafood, I can only handle a slab of beef once in a while.

I don't believe that all of the ways in which we harvest meat are nice or completely ethical though, especially poultry farm-factories.

I grew up on a farm where all our livestock was free range, and the frequent trips to the butcher never really fazed me. I even held the chickens when my dad would chop off their heads. No big deal, they had a full life as far as chickens go.

(currently listening to Meat is Murder by The Smiths LOL)

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you