Payrolls Barely Rise in Weak Jobs Report - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2004, 03:08 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 05:37 PM
You might have the opputunity to look over jobs offers but most people that have to work for 7$/hour dont have that choice.

They were born into low income families that could not afford jigh priced schooling.

Wal mart has broken laws, many of them.

They are being sued as we speak for locking employees into the building and making them all stay until everyone has completed their jobs. Oh and they wouldnt pay them overtime, they said to talk one for the company, the company that makes billions of dollars a year. Oh and theres that lawsuit for employee illegal immigrants knowingly and paying them less then Americans. At this time 4,000 people are sueing Walmart for labor reasons!

You named off a few competitors to walmart. These compnaies that have had better labor standards then walmart are now being forced to cut wages and benefits to stay competitive.

What about the people on strike in California that are being asked by their employers to take pay cuts and benefits cuts to be able to stay competive.

I am not saying what walmart is doing is all againist the law, what i'm saying is that it SHOULD be againist the law.

And dont give me your people shouldnt have children till their financially secure. Just thank God that your daughter or sister or mother didnt make a mistake and have a child. All your looking at is the law, that is what is amatter with todays society, they dont care about the people that are being treated like shit!

Support a company that supports its employees!

Old 01-16-2004, 04:55 PM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 12:37 AM
WalMart is a great company

WalMart is a great company, the selection they offer is excellent, their low prices are excellent, and I love being greeted at the door and treated nicely.

I have yet to see a story in the newspaper where WalMart puts a gun to someones head and makes them become an employee, and I have also not heard of any stories where customers are forced at gunpoint to shop at Walmart.

A few weeks back, I read in the newspaper that Walmart is paying its store managers $90,000 a year, and managers of the Super Walmarts that have foodstores in them, $ 130,000 a year.

I was never a huge fan of Walmart, but when I read in the newspaper how well they pay their store managers, and how these stores have policies that unions cannot solicit or advertise on Walmart property, I instantly became a huge fan of Walmart. There is nothing worse than seeing some rich educated corrupt union leader walking into a Walmart and tricking minimum wage workers into joining some union, only so this union leader can collect weekly dues from these workers who are getting minimum wage. I once got suckered into joining a union when I was 16, they gave me all these promises of what the union would do and the store didn't pay me much. I quit that job at the age of 16, moved 2 miles up the street to their competitor. Their competitor paid its workers more, had better benefits, had a better working environment, and they were not part of the union. This competitor went out of its way to keep union people off store property and would call police if union representatives did try to come onto the property. I drove by the union office once day, the office was the size of my bedroom, with a pair of new Mercedes sitting outside it, that is when I knew that the union was just in it for the money, not for the workers.

Unions are why your General Motors cars are now being built in Mexico and Canada. Honda and Toyota have the top 2 selling cars in America now, the Accord and Camry, and have had this for a decade now. Honda and Toyota both have plants in America, the cars are built in America, and both Honda and Toyota do not have unions. Unions are why your American and Canadian flags now have little 'made in china' stickers on them.

I just can't wait until WalMart gets into the food business in a bigger way, and starts putting all the other little mom & pop stores out of business, competition is good and Walmart is the biggest competitor around. Starting 6 weeks ago, Walmart is the only place I shop now.

Old 01-16-2004, 05:04 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Troll alert! I'm sorry, there's just something completely unrealistic about the way you've gone into almost every thread here and said things like

-Timothy McVeigh was just "pissed off" with Clinton, so we can overlook him murdering hundreds of people.
- There's already a cure for AIDS.
- Cuba should be a model for the world in fighting AIDS.
- Everyone who has AIDS should be locked up.
- Everyone from the "middle-east" should be interviewed, fingerprinted and searched if they want to visit the US. Apparently if your skin is white then you can't be a terrorist.
- All unions are corrupt and just in it for the money. (Although I do admit to being curious about how large your bedroom is for you to be angry that a union would have an office of this size. )

If you're not a troll, then I don't know if I'm more sorry that I've labelled you wrongly, or that you're actually that uninformed on such important issues.

Old 01-16-2004, 05:11 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:37 PM
Old 01-16-2004, 05:22 PM   #20
The Fly

Fizzing, just open some newspapers and don't be afraid to see what's going in the world.

WalMart is the biggest corporate success in American history. Cuba has just about the lowest AIDS rates in the world. Timothy McVeigh bombed that Oklahoma building for a reason, he just didn't wake up one morning and for no idea decided to rent a Ryder truck and pack it with explosives.

Start reading more international newspapers, start reading books, the world is going to pass you by as long as you keep your eyes shut.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:34 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

I just can't be bothered to give that post the response it deserves (perhaps re-posting anitram's picture would be the most appropriate ). You know nothing about me so please don't pretend you can make judgements about my level of awareness of current events. I find it hard to take such criticism seriously when it comes from a person who can't differentiate between "prevention" and "cure" anyway.

And for what it's worth, the people who hijacked planes on September 11th didn't "just wake up one morning and for no idea (sic)" hijack planes and fly them into buildings. That doesn't make their actions any less horrifying or any more justifiable, nor do McVeigh's motives make his actions any less repugnant.

*Fizz.

PS - anyone else reminded of Lemonite?
Old 01-16-2004, 07:00 PM   #22
The Fly

open a dictionary

Open a dictionary right after you open a newspaper. Once you have prevented something enough, then it no longer exists, and then you have a cure. A cure is just a remedy, and a prevention will often times lead to a remedy. With the way the world is going, it's so important to keep reading books and newspapers, and see what the rest of the world is up to.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:44 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:37 PM
Re: WalMart is a great company

Quote:
Originally posted by U2LipstickBoy
I have yet to see a story in the newspaper where WalMart puts a gun to someones head and makes them become an employee, and I have also not heard of any stories where customers are forced at gunpoint to shop at Walmart.

A few weeks back, I read in the newspaper that Walmart is paying its store managers $90,000 a year, and managers of the Super Walmarts that have foodstores in them, $ 130,000 a year.

Walmart drives out the majority of competition in most small towns so the people have no choice. Walmart purposely sell toys and such items where they don't make profit therefore driving out any competition in larger towns i.e. the bancruptcy of Toys R Us and Kay Bee Toy stores. Then they pay their architects, contractors and other consultants late in order to keep the money in the bank longer to earn from the interests rates in order to make up for these losses.

And trust me no store manager for WalMart is making close to $90,000. I have worked with WalMart in many different levels, I've been to their headquarters I've spoke to the department heads of many different departments and they don't even make close to that kind of salary. WalMart was built upon being frugal and their employees are forced to do the same. They have great benefits but terrible pay.

I know a storemanager in a large community right outside of Dallas, one of their biggest selling stores in the southwest, she's worked with them for 10 years and makes less than $50,000.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:27 AM   #24
The Fly

BonoVoxSupastar

Wal-Mart store managers earn about $95,000 annually, including bonuses, according to the company. Supercenter managers earn $130,000.

That was taken from the SEATTLE TIMES newspaper, here is the link http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...esstechnology/
2001802228_walmart27.html

La-Times also did a story on Wal-Mart, where they said that managers are paid over $ 120,000 at many stores, and here is that link http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,2729555.story

The Teamsters website also has a PDF file describing how much Wal-Mart managers make www.teamsters117.org/docs/The%20WAL.pdf
" Supercenter managers earn $130,000 " can easily be found in that .pdf file

Wal-Mart managers are highly paid, this Wal-Mart manager friend of yours must be managing just the service desk or maybe the friend of yours is lying, but I know for sure, that the Seattle Times, the LA Times, and the Teamsters aren't lying.

It's very important to keep reading those newspapers and constantly keep trying to learn more about the world, this 'friend' of yours in Dallas is leading you on.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:42 AM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: BonoVoxSupastar

Quote:
Wal-Mart store managers earn about $95,000 annually, including bonuses, according to the company. Supercenter managers earn $130,000.

That was taken from the SEATTLE TIMES newspaper, here is the link http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...esstechnology/
2001802228_walmart27.html

La-Times also did a story on Wal-Mart, where they said that managers are paid over $ 120,000 at many stores, and here is that link http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,2729555.story

The Teamsters website also has a PDF file describing how much Wal-Mart managers make www.teamsters117.org/docs/The%20WAL.pdf
" Supercenter managers earn $130,000 " can easily be found in that .pdf file

Wal-Mart managers are highly paid, this Wal-Mart manager friend of yours must be managing just the service desk or maybe the friend of yours is lying, but I know for sure, that the Seattle Times, the LA Times, and the Teamsters aren't lying.

It's very important to keep reading those newspapers and constantly keep trying to learn more about the world, this 'friend' of yours in Dallas is leading you on.
Ok first of all both the Seattle times and the Teamsters page had the same exact quote and the quote was from Walmart(the LA Times you had to register). The quote said that included bonuses. Yes some Walmart SMs can make that much with bonus, but ask them the hours they put in. So yes what you said is partially true, but that was by no means an average. A single SM can take home a bonus that doubles their salary.

On another note quit telling people to read the newspapers. This forum is full of very educated people from all over the political spectrum you really need not to come in here one day and insult everyone who disagrees with you by telling them to go read the newspapers. And honestly you shouldn't put THAT much trust in the printed word.
Quote:
but I know for sure, that the Seattle Times, the LA Times, and the Teamsters aren't lying.
How do you ever know that for sure?
Old 01-17-2004, 02:32 PM   #26
The Fly

Imperative to keep reading those newspapers

It's imperative to keep reading those newspapers and see what's going on in the world. The world is going to pass you by if you only listen to these 'friends' of yours working at Wal-Mart and around town, there is a whole huge world out there.

Wal-Mart pays their managers very well, maybe not according to your 'friend', but according to the LA TIMES, Hartford Courtant, SEATTLE TIMES, Teamsters, and according to other more reputable sources, we see that the story is different. What you want to do is to keep reading newspapers and find a striking similarities between them all and then go off of that, these 'friends' of yours can be highly misleading.

Old 01-17-2004, 03:06 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

bonoman,

"You might have the opputunity to look over jobs offers but most people that have to work for 7$/hour dont have that choice."

"They were born into low income families that could not afford jigh priced schooling"

The Military has a number of opportunities to include funds to help pay for college. There are also other area's of the economy that are in need of workers from Truck Drivers haulling freight across the country to Nurses. But people need to investigate and be willing to do what is necessary to enter some of these area's which may require leaving the town they live in and doing certain types of work they had never thought of doing before.

"Wal mart has broken laws, many of them."

"They are being sued as we speak for locking employees into the building and making them all stay until everyone has completed their jobs. Oh and they wouldnt pay them overtime, they said to talk one for the company, the company that makes billions of dollars a year. Oh and theres that lawsuit for employee illegal immigrants knowingly and paying them less then Americans. At this time 4,000 people are sueing Walmart for labor reasons!"

Hey, nail Wal Mart to the Wall for violating the law.

"You named off a few competitors to walmart. These compnaies that have had better labor standards then walmart are now being forced to cut wages and benefits to stay competitive."

Only 4 years ago, Companies like Wal Mart were forced to raise wages in order to attract workers to fill unfilled positions. As the economy improves, wage cuts, and job cuts will slow and finally stop. Then after some more time passes, you will in fact start to see wage increases provided the economy continues to grow.

"What about the people on strike in California that are being asked by their employers to take pay cuts and benefits cuts to be able to stay competive."

If the company there is in a downturn, they should probably lay people off rather than cut pay and benefits.

Wal Mart is not a government program for jobs, it is a private company and the owner provided he obeys the law can operate it the way he/she wants to.

"I am not saying what walmart is doing is all againist the law, what i'm saying is that it SHOULD be againist the law."

The history of the United States is one of free enterprise and Capitalism. If I start a business, its my business, and I have the right to hire and fire people according to the laws of the USA. I can take my entire business to another country. Or, I could decide to close down the business and start another business or do something else in another place. It is a private business and not a government for jobs program.

It is this system which has allowed the United States to achieve what is currently the 7th highest standard of living in the world according to the UNDP results for 2003 from the human development index.

"And dont give me your people shouldnt have children till their financially secure. Just thank God that your daughter or sister or mother didnt make a mistake and have a child. All your looking at is the law, that is what is amatter with todays society, they dont care about the people that are being treated like shit!"

Are you advocating that people should have childern prior to being financially secure? Is it to much to ask that people take more responsiblity for the act of sex and the potential consequences?

Far better to wait and develop the means to support a family than to start a family without the means to support one.

Also, the individuals who start a family are responsible for it, not the government or the employer.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:33 PM   #28
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:37 PM
U2LipstickBoy =

*troll*
Old 01-17-2004, 04:04 PM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Imperative to keep reading those newspapers

Quote:
It's imperative to keep reading those newspapers and see what's going on in the world. The world is going to pass you by if you only listen to these 'friends' of yours working at Wal-Mart and around town, there is a whole huge world out there.

Wal-Mart pays their managers very well, maybe not according to your 'friend', but according to the LA TIMES, Hartford Courtant, SEATTLE TIMES, Teamsters, and according to other more reputable sources, we see that the story is different. What you want to do is to keep reading newspapers and find a striking similarities between them all and then go off of that, these 'friends' of yours can be highly misleading.

It's imperative to actually read someone's post.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:09 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm inclined to agree with Scarletwine.

However, U2LipstickBoy, if you aren't a troll and you really do want to keep posting here, then here's a few friendly pieces of advice.

Continuously telling people to "read the newspapers" comes across as insulting and condescending. You have no way of knowing what sources people here consult. In any case, there are more sources of information than just newspapers. People get information from the internet, from books, from academic journals, from television, from attending public lectures and from a variety of other sources. Why not address the issues raised in a post, rather than just suggesting that the person who posted it isn't well-informed about the subject? Look again at the thread about AIDS, I've asked you twice what you think about the Cuban government and you haven't responded, but you've told me twice that you think I need to read more newspapers. We could have an interesting discussion about that topic, but to be honest it's quite boring to just hear "read a newspaper" over and over again!

Secondly, if you disagree with what somoene says then it's better to say that you disagree with that *opinion* rather than insulting the person who expressed it. That's how most FYMers manage to stay friends, despite our vast differences of opinion. We disagree with opinions, not those who express them.

People from all over the political spectrum are welcome here, the only ground rules are that we all show respect for each other's opinions and try to avoid being insulting or rude about another poster. How does that sound?