Pay Your respects to President Ford. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2006, 10:06 AM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 03:12 AM
So, let's see, if Carter's problems were Nixon's fault, does that make Bush's problems Clinton's fault? Truth be told, there was never a 'good' administration, it just seems everyone wants to blame the guy they don't like. Well I don't really like any politician and see no reason to defend one over another. But in the end, all presidents deserve respect and honor when they die. So let it be with Ford.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:33 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch
So, let's see, if Carter's problems were Nixon's fault, does that make Bush's problems Clinton's fault? Truth be told, there was never a 'good' administration, it just seems everyone wants to blame the guy they don't like. But in the end, all presidents deserve respect and honor when they die. So let it be with Ford.
I think you need to look at the circumstances that the President inherits. The first two or three years of a Presidency, really are impacted by decisions made prior to the arrival of a President.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:36 AM   #18
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

I think you need to look at the circumstances that the President inherits. The first two or three years of a Presidency, really are impacted by decisions made prior to the arrival of a President.
Then in that case, Carter's problems were not anyone else's fault, since most of them came to a head in 1979 (gas prices, Iran turmoil, high interest rates)

The inflation was a problem all through the 70's, but more than any president's fault, it was probably just a too-rapid adjustment of prices going up too fast. For years prices were low, then instead of increasing gradually, they flew up all at once, hurting everyone's pocketbook. We really can't blame any president for that, it was an ecomonic and cultural thing and business in general.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:48 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

How about the influence of the CIA connections of George Bush on the Iran Turmoil?

Is Carter blameless, no...but the Presidency did not recover until Reagan from Watergate & Vietnam.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:57 AM   #20
War Child

It's all just an ongoing mess that never ends. Politics are corrupt. Sad but true.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:37 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville

And anyway, it's not when anyone dies, it's only when certain people die. There will be no condolences thread for Saddam Hussein, I guarantee that (nor should there be).
you NEVER predict the future right, seymour!

now get back in the house...

-mrs. skinner
Old 12-30-2006, 08:05 PM   #22
Refugee

Old 12-30-2006, 08:15 PM   #23
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:12 PM

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

The museum lobby is now open 24/7 until further notice, so I'm debating whether to go walk past his casket once his body arrives tomorrow. My mom said to go at midnight or so, it will be less busy, but also likely below freezing temperatures. We didn't really know his family closely, but I feel it's like an honor to be able to pay our respects in person.

The funeral is at a pretty small church here on the southeast side. It's just a few blocks from my church, so they're closing the church on Wed. b/c no one will be able to get by the procession and security.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:43 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

You'll regret it if you don't go. You should go.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:51 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, I feel so too. I'm trying to find details that corroborate what my mom told me so I don't end up wandering around in the dark. I've lived here 22 years and am still terrified of driving downtown and don't know my way once I'm on the "other" side of the river.

I just read his body is coming in tomorrow at 2:15pm. Soooooo glad I'll still be at work since I live just blocks from the airport, right where you get on the highway, and this would be a mess with rush hour traffic, assuming they are taking the highway around the city into downtown.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:02 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Old 01-02-2007, 09:47 AM   #28
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
Yeah, I feel so too. I'm trying to find details that corroborate what my mom told me so I don't end up wandering around in the dark. I've lived here 22 years and am still terrified of driving downtown and don't know my way once I'm on the "other" side of the river.

I just read his body is coming in tomorrow at 2:15pm. Soooooo glad I'll still be at work since I live just blocks from the airport, right where you get on the highway, and this would be a mess with rush hour traffic, assuming they are taking the highway around the city into downtown.

If I lived closer out that way and didn't have to work, I'd probably go.

I hope you get to, Lies.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:50 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I was gonna go this morning for the procession. Then my car decided today it needed maintenance.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:11 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

I saw a photo on the news, someone left a handmade sign in front of his library that said " Gerald Ford, Just A Nice Guy". You can't get much better than that.

I love how he said that he was happy to be number two, that he was Betty Ford's husband-and that he was beholden to no man and only one woman, Betty Ford. Now that's a man. He said if you become self important, you become boring.

Mrs. Ford is one of my idols, she has helped countless people with their addictions. She's quite a woman.

Rest In Peace Mr. President