Passion : Bigger Longer & Uncut - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2005, 02:15 PM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 02:15 AM
HE is buying fiji!?!?

damn, he beat me to it!!

ok, i will buy the phiphi island then

frankly, having your own PUBLIC island must simply rule! ill do that when i have money to burn!

Old 03-13-2005, 02:17 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony

the movie really tries very hard to recreate what a crucifixion probably looked and felt like; this is where the film succeeds the most. Speaking from personal experience, I never actually thought how much pain a crucixion could bring, and what it meant to be crucified. Oh sure, I knew that it was painful, but to actually devote two hours to the entire process is grueling, taxing, exhausting and utterly painful to watch.

on that basis

I can recommend "Irreversible"

for you

Quote:
The infamous Monica Bellucci's (Magdalen) anal rape scene is truly brutal and sickening,but at least the film can't be accused of eroticizing,trivializing or glamourizing rape,something many mainstream movies are guilty of.It actually shows that rape is a brutal and disgusting act.Congratulations should go to this stunningly beautiful actress for her brave performance.

Old 03-13-2005, 02:31 PM   #33
Refugee

Local Time: 11:15 PM
Quote:
I can recommend "Irreversible"
A truly fantastic film, and I agree with the comment you provided. Its an overwhelmingly powerful movie, and simply astounding in its delivery... so much so that I don't think I'll be able to stomach it again, its almost too powerful for me.

Great movie.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 03-13-2005, 04:43 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:15 AM
Surely if making a movie about the life of Christ it should be loyal to the Bible and not some other source? In the Bible it only says that Jesus was flogged, my understanding is the flogging scene in the movie is lengthy and violent?

I haven't seen the movie but if I wanted to watch a film about Jesus I would be more likely to watch one of the older ones.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:03 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:15 PM
I thought the title here was about my sex life....

my bad.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:09 PM   #36
War Child

Local Time: 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I thought the title here was about my sex life....

my bad.

Uncut heh?
Old 03-15-2005, 01:45 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
Surely if making a movie about the life of Christ it should be loyal to the Bible and not some other source? In the Bible it only says that Jesus was flogged, my understanding is the flogging scene in the movie is lengthy and violent?
Roman floggings in this part of the world were 40 lashes minus 1. 39 lashes -- and not with a whip either, but with devices similar to the one Gibson depicted -- lashes with hooks on the ends, to ensure not only pain, but tearing of the flesh, which makes ensuing lashes all the more painful.

Quote:
Originally posted by all_i_want
HE is buying fiji!?!?
He's not buying Fiji. He's buying a private island. Geez, people....
Old 03-15-2005, 01:51 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Teta040
Did he cut out the footage of Caiaphas though? Doubt it...if he cut the "Jewish bad guy" out of the film, then I'd buy it. The most indelible image I had from the film (besides the opening Gethsemane sequence) was the High Priest leering up at the suffering Christ on the cross without a flicker of emotion or remorse on his face. He only seems to be wishing the torment was greater. If there was any doubt Mel was making a statement about "Jewish Guilt", this clinched it. He had to re-remind us who was "responsible" for all this. And "hos blood be upon us, and upon our children", was left in the film, it just had no susbtitles (from what I read.)
"From what you've read"? Have you actually seen the film?

Frankly, I think the Roman soldiers come off much worse. Caiaphas may have authorized the whipping, but it was the (Gentile) Romans who carried it out...and clearly took sadism to a whole different level.

Quote:
A lot of money you made off of Christ's suffering, Mel, and you buy a large populated territiory with it, your own slice of empire. Every penny should have gone to Africa, let's say. I'm appalled. See what some "Christian" celebs are like, and others...
So you know what he did with his money then?

Yes, we should all believe everything we read in EW....
Old 03-15-2005, 02:25 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think the important thing to consider with this film is not how bloody it is, but the sacrifice itself. How much blood was spilled exactly doesn't really matter, but the fact that the sacrifice was made does. Is the movie 100 percent accurate to the actual crucifixion? No. Like it's been said, it's a movie. However, the movie does bring to life God's ultimate act of love made on your behalf and mine. I would encourage everyone to see it for themselves and make their own opinion, not just dismiss it based on someone else's. The Gospels are the ultimate source though.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:29 PM   #40
War Child

Local Time: 07:15 PM
I don't think he should have cut anything out of it.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:30 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:15 PM
Well said, Coemgen.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:30 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
I think the important thing to consider with this film is not how bloody it is, but the sacrifice itself. How much blood was spilled exactly doesn't really matter, but the fact that the sacrifice was made does. Is the movie 100 percent accurate to the actual crucifixion? No. Like it's been said, it's a movie. However, the movie does bring to life God's ultimate act of love made on your behalf and mine. I would encourage everyone to see it for themselves and make their own opinion, not just dismiss it based on someone else's. The Gospels are the ultimate source though.
i pose these questions more out of naivete than anything else, but if you want to make a movie about the sacrafice, why not focus on Jesus's life and deeds instead of the brutal pain of his death? i've also read that the scouring, which is the centerpiece of the movie and, i'm told, functions just like any setpiece in any B-level horror movie -- i.e., just when you think it can't get any worse, it does -- isn't even mentioned in one of the four gospels.

i haven't seen the film, so i'm trying to be open minded, but i've seen other Gibson films, and they are all preoccupied with suffering, pain, and torture. film is a director's medium -- could it be that the blood and gore are Gibson's artistic decisions as opposed to historically accurate renderings?

i do agree with the crux of your post, though -- it is the sacrafice that it is important for Christians, and if a movie can dramatize that the way, say, Schindler's List dramatized the holocaust, then that's one of the many ways in which film can be a powerful medium.

and while i've not seen the movie -- don't want to sit through violence like that, i'm quite squeamish -- i have read about it extensively, because it was such an interesting phenomenon.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:36 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

The thing to keep in mind, though, is that "The Passion of the Christ" isn't meant to be a generic and melodramatic name about Jesus. "The Passion" is a Catholic concept that focuses solely on the suffering and death of Jesus. The Resurrection, technically, is no longer within the Passion, which ends with his burial. Hence, if any of this deviates from the Gospels, look no further than the Catholic concept of the "Passion" and, of course, Emmerich's blood lust of a book.

But a movie is still a movie, and that's how I see it. I see nothing especially wrong with making the movie, but I do get squeamish when people take it too seriously.

Melon
Old 03-15-2005, 04:38 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Irvine — that's the point of making the movie about the — to show the brutality of the crucifixion. The truth is, and Gibson has acknowledged this, that the movie actually wasn't bloody enough. According to historical accounts of the practice of crucifixion, it's much worse than the movie showed. We're talking the ultimate form of death here. Torture. Humiliation. Starvation. Dehydration. Suffocation (A lot of "ations" there, huh?) The scouring is a major part of the movie and it's supposed to be. I would argue that Gibson didn't simply put this movie out though to squirt blood though, you know? It's is far from a B-level horror movie. It's actually very well done. Very poetic. Ebert and Roper even said so! : )
The whole thing that separates Christianity from other faiths is that God became human, not the other way around. In doing so, Christ, like I said, went through the ultimate death. In doing this, you not only have Christ (both fully God and fully man) going through what we go through (or could potentially go through), but because of his nature of God and man, he was able to beat death, which is "the wages of our sin." As cheesy or trite as it may sound, this was done for you, me and everyone else. We all fall short of the glory of our holy God. The movie ends with the resurrection (hope I didn't just give anything away!) which is how Christ beat death. Would you expect anything less from God?
Gibson's artistic decisions don't take away or conflict with the historicity of the Gospel, they're instead story telling tools.
And why didn't Gibson focus more on Christ's teachings? Well, first of all, he does focus on some important ones. However, it could be argued that following Christ's teachings on life aren't enough anyway. You have to believe in the sacrifice that was made, know why it was made, seek forgiveness of your sins (and this can only be done because of the sacrifice) and then acknowledge that he was raised from the dead and is the Lord of your life today.
The crucifixion, in all it's gore and glory, is the very outstretched arm and extended hand of God to you and me. All we're asked to do is grab onto it. To me, it was tough to watch the film. I cried. I got to visualize what was likely done to my Lord. The hardest part of the film for me wasn't the blood though — it was coming to a clearer realization that it was done because of my sins and so I may be cleansed of them.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:45 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
The crucifixion, in all it's gore and glory, is the very outstretched arm and extended hand of God to you and me. All we're asked to do is grab onto it. To me, it was tough to watch the film. I cried. I got to visualize what was likely done to my Lord. The hardest part of the film for me wasn't the blood though — it was coming to a clearer realization that it was done because of my sins and so I may be cleansed of them.
Maybe I've studied TV/film too long, but I found myself mostly saying "What cool special effects!" Really, the cinematography was brilliant, and there were only a couple instances where Caviezel was clearly wearing a very tight suit with fancy makeup to show a chopped up Jesus.

But for the vast majority of the intended audience for this film, I could definitely see the power in using violence. It's truly an exceptionally violent film that not even most secular films do (minus "Irreversible"), so for an audience that probably watches mostly tame films, this would definitely be quite a shock.

Thankfully, my desensitization only extends to TV/film. 9/11 shocked me quite awfully when it happened--although I fear that 9/11 itself may have desensitized me against feeling anything from future attacks.

Melon