One year from today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: One year from today...

coemgen said:
Oh, so you're the one who still feels this way.

:wink:

Yeah, I suppose FYM has to have one.

I do wonder, though, if Mr 2861 is just an alter being run by someone like melon to keep FYM on its toes. :wink:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: One year from today...

maycocksean said:

Hoo boy. Somebody done drunk the kool aid.

On the domestic side 2861 might be a bit histrionic (Dems as merely "tax and spend liberals" being a sort of quaint box to fit them into), but I do think that on the subject of the Middle East, whoever steps in does have to deal with the very real possibilities 2861 described of:

our troops abandon the Iraqi people to get slaughtered, a vacuum is created that will be filled by Iran, Al-Qaeda declares to the world that they beat the United States

That's why foreign policy experience is so crucial for whoever fills the Big Chair (as it was so disastrously not with the current POTUS, which led to the neo-cons assuming control of foreign policy). We need someone who will navigate through the waters (ideally working alongside the UN), rather than merely step out of them. In an interesting way, "Charlie Wilson's War" unintentionally makes a strong case for staying to clean up the mess we made. A President who is actively involved and engaged in the process will help us do this, as opposed to letting cronies make the decisions for him (or her).

Last edited:
Except this is not 2005 anymore, foreign forces can be removed from Iraq and the idea of indefinite occupation is simply untenable.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: One year from today...

nathan1977 said:

On the domestic side 2861 might be a bit histrionic (Dems as merely "tax and spend liberals" being a sort of quaint box to fit them into), but I do think that on the subject of the Middle East, whoever steps in does have to deal with the very real possibilities 2861 described of:

I was referring more to 2861's assumption that his horrific foreign policy picture was certain to happen if one of the Evil Dems get into the White House. Frankly, I don't see any of the candidates pulling us out of Iraq superquick.

A_Wanderer said:
Except this is not 2005 anymore, foreign forces can be removed from Iraq and the idea of indefinite occupation is simply untenable.

I don't disagree about occupation. At the same time, at this point the US is fighting a war for public opinion in Iraq, and withdrawing would only create an ideological vacuum that would be destructive in the long-term. I don't think anyone wants an Afghanistan part two.

As far as 2861's doomsday scenario: history has a way of repeating itself, and after the neo-cons' rosy, "we'll be welcomed like liberators" mentality, we should probably have a more realistic worldview.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: One year from today...

coolian2 said:
Actually, DaveC was right. It's just that this one year is a little bit longer than a traditional year

if a year is the time it takes the earth to travel one complete elliptical orbit of the sun

than 365 days (earthly revolutions) is not correct, either

DaveC said:
A new President will be inaugurated, and the world will finally be rid of George W. Bush.

Start the countdown...365! :hyper:

Don't remind me of the fact that the world will be losing one of it's bravest leaders........:sad:

I'm sure Al Quaida is counting too and just waiting for the day the new administration is sworn in and the war on terror officially comes to a halt.

Oh, that's right, that's how simple it is. Gotcha.

"Bravest leader?" I would call Bush a lot of things, and even people who like him would call him a lot of things, but brave? Not at all.

phillyfan26 said:

"Bravest leader?" I would call Bush a lot of things, and even people who like him would call him a lot of things, but brave? Not at all.

Yes Philly...it IS that simple.

Right now, Bush is the proverbial cat watching over the mice.

Here and there the mice come out to carry out attacks against the cat but, overall, the cat is managing to protect its house against the hoards of mice beating at its door.

Do I really need to continue or do you get my point?

phillyfan26 said:

I think AchtungBono has a point. Bush has done so many things, not necessarily because they have been popular, but because he knows it's for the good of the country, and knowing full well that after he leaves office he'll probably never have any sort of political role again. If that ain't brave, I don't know what is.

2861U2 said:

I think AchtungBono has a point. Bush has done so many things, not necessarily because they have been popular, but because he knows it's for the good of the country, and knowing full well that after he leaves office he'll probably never have any sort of political role again. If that ain't brave, I don't know what is.

:sad: It's so true. Violating the Constitution, a trillion-dollar war debt, thousands of Americans killed and maimed, new terrorists inspired by the US killing their loved ones.... it's all so brave. :sad:

2861U2 said:

You call it bravery, I call it ignorant pride(the 7 deadly sin kind)...

Re: Re: One year from today...

AchtungBono said:

Don't remind me of the fact that the world will be losing one of it's bravest leaders........:sad:

I'm sure Al Quaida is counting too and just waiting for the day the new administration is sworn in and the war on terror officially comes to a halt.

Your naivete never ceases to amaze me.

AchtungBono said:

Here and there the mice come out to carry out attacks against the cat but, overall, the cat is managing to protect its house against the hoards of mice beating at its door.

I always try hard and think when I choose my analogies

people will read into them things that the author may not intend

that being said, comparing people to vermin is not a good analogy,
this has been done in the past, to gain acceptance/ or indifference for extermination

AchtungBono said:

2861U2 said:

Talk about two blind posts.

I think 2816 puts it best when he says "If that ain't brave, I don't know what is."

Bush isn't brave. He's cocky and stubborn.

And AB, it's quite clear you don't have the first clue about foreign policy.

deep said:

I always try hard and think when I choose my analogies

people will read into them things that the author may not intend

that being said, comparing people to vermin is not a good analogy,
this has been done in the past, to gain acceptance/ or indifference for extermination

I'm deeply sorry if that's how this analogy sounded.
What I meant was "when the cat is away, the mice will play"

I was definitely NOT comparing anyone with vermin - I hope that is now clear.

phillyfan26 said:

Talk about two blind posts.

I think 2816 puts it best when he says "If that ain't brave, I don't know what is."

Bush isn't brave. He's cocky and stubborn.

And AB, it's quite clear you don't have the first clue about foreign policy.

Good morning Philly,

I'd like to respond to you but I'm not quite sure what you meant by foreign policy.

Could you clarify please?

Thanks.

Try your comments about Al Qaeda for one.

According to reports, they are stronger today than since 2001.

Yet you lament a change in the policy that has caused this.

That's because you're duped by biased media and politicians into thinking that any change in the policy means some kind of surrender.

It took Bush over 4 years to decide that he didn't have enough soldiers on the ground. He fired a General who said as much in 2003, 4.5 years later he's parading Petraeus around as the saviour. How many more casualties did this 'bravery' cause? And you and 2861 and others want to pat him on the back for sticking by his guns?

That's the cowboy M.O., a fucking tragic display of ignorance and hubris. Who cares what it costs in treasure as long as someone can't proclaim they "beat" the United States. This is the Vietnam argument that helped 58,000 soldiers meet their demise and countless thousands of others suffer to this day. Including John McCain, why does he say he's willing to stay in Iraq for 100 years? Because he's still fighting that same fight.

At some point, wiser heads have to prevail.
That leaves the Bushies out. Thank God.

AchtungBono said:
Good morning Philly,

I'd like to respond to you but I'm not quite sure what you meant by foreign policy.

Could you clarify please?

Thanks.

U2DMFan pretty much said everything I want to say.

Thing is though... would our country "really" be better? will we really come out of the war? and if we do will everything be okay all of a sudden? I think right now it's just a big big big mess. We pull out, it's a mess, we stay, it's a mess.

Bush is terrible, but everytime I look at him I laugh.

Nah, I'm sure he will accept that his time is over and leave office peacefully. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom