Okay this is what I have to say to all you Christians - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2004, 11:02 AM   #136
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
Buddha is not a deity for Buddhists--he is a human being who achieved enlightenment and is honored as a great role model for living, but not a deity.

and he's certainly not a deity in the Hindu religion as Aussie man stated here:

Quote:
or Buddah in the Hindu faith.
Quote:
But I cannot condemn anything these other religions say because I know nothing of them.
So you admit you are condemning Christianity? If you do not believe in any God, afterlife or Supreme being/power at all, that should cover every religion and not just one.

Old 09-17-2004, 03:06 PM   #137
ONE
love, blood, life

I have to say...I pretty much agree with Aussie on this and I think a lot of you are being rather hard on him.

I don't believe in any religion, or even IN religion period. I just look at the world today, all the terrorism and crime, and I thnk to myself, more people in this world die in the name of God(whichever God that may be) than for any other single reason. I don't believe in creationism, it just doesn't make any sense to me, while evolution seems logical to me. And the idea of Mary just becoming pregnant is not believable either to me. I know, that's why it's faith, but I just don't have it.

I also feel like religion is starting to become just one big system of cliques, kind of like in high school. Except that in high school if you choose not be part of a clique no one really cares all that much. If people get upset enough with you for not believing in a certain thing, you could die. For no reason. I just feel like, especially with Christianity and to an extent Judiasm, the official parts of it, churches and stuff, and the most devout believers, put forth the ridiculous notion that if you don't believe in this and that you're going to hell and this is the only 'right' way to live etc etc, and when people start doing and saying these things, religion starts becoming something you do to please other people, to fit in, and even though I don't believe in religion, I believe one thing for those that do believe in it: It MUST be something you do and believe in for yourself, and only yourself. Because when you die, no God is going to judge your life. You yourself will be the harshest critic of your life. Regardless of what zealots will say.

What it boils down to is that I honestly believe that religion does more bad than good in this world, and I will never ever ever believe in any religion, because more people die for God than for any other reason, and because all too often, religious people compromise common sense and logic in the name of their religion, and sometimes it leads to them doing things are just plan perplexing and not understandable.

A lot of this spills into my political beliefs as well...I fully support stem cell research and am pro-choice, as I'm sure most Christians would disagree with completely.

Just to clarify, I don't exactly consider myself an athiest either...I just tend to see athiesm as a religion based in the non-belief of religion and that makes little sense to me sometimes. But I believe in no religion. The only things I believe in are more spiritual things that have nothing to do with religion, for example: there's a reason for everything, there's a master plan, there's nothing you can do that you're not meant to do, nothing you can say that you're not meant to say, etc etc. And I believe that when you die, your soul goes and merges itself with all the other souls that have ever been alive, so that there is one big cesspool of soul/existance, and whenever a new baby is born, a new soul is molded from the cesspool and given to the child.

Anyway, yeah, I don't believe in religion.

Old 09-17-2004, 03:21 PM   #138
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora

Anyway, this thread is getting a lit-tle testy. It's been a week or so since I closed a thread and my fingers are itchy...
I don't see where a little testy is a reason to close a thread. If left to run it will work itself out, and perhaps people will learn to think a bit more BEFORE they post instead of just shoot off their...well...fingers. By closing it so quickly it just encourages halfcocked responses, as well thought out ones never get to be posted.

For instance, I want to reply to posts in the last half of the thread, but want to give it more thought (instead of a merely reactionary post). If it's closed...poof! opportunity gone. So the next time I'll just shoot off my mouth...cause it's gonna be closed anyway.

I know, I know, I know...doesn't matter one bit what I think, but I'm opinionated.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:27 PM   #139
Blue Crack Addict

namkur- it wasn't his position itself but the way he presented it, starting with the title.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:31 PM   #140
Refugee

Local Time: 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
namkur- it wasn't his position itself but the way he presented it, starting with the title.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:31 PM   #141
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
I just tend to see athiesm as a religion based in the non-belief of religion and that makes little sense to me sometimes.
Athiest = no god

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, there is no moral nor ethical code involved with being solely an Atheist.

There is also no moral nor ethical code involved with being a Theist.

There is no way Atheism can be a religion.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:36 PM   #142
Blue Crack Addict

I do agree with the gist of Aussies comments but not the tone and the language.

Aussie, I believe (lol) that you are feeling under attack because other people in this thread are feeling under attack by yourself.

I agree with NBC (whoa, theres a statement ). Maybe if we choose one issue at a time and we all work through it together.

We could start with relics, if you like, as that, if Im reading you correctly, appears to be of concern.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:40 PM   #143
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by beli

Athiest = no god

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, there is no moral nor ethical code involved with being solely an Atheist.

There is also no moral nor ethical code involved with being a Theist.

There is no way Atheism can be a religion.
I can see namkcuR's point, though. In quite a few of AussieU2fanman's posts early in this thread I found his arguments and style to be very similar to that of some fervent Christians (especially those who have been born again recently) that I've met. And while I agree that religion is a framework of morals and ehtical laws, at its core it is the belief that your way and your way only is the correct way to live (at least in regards to a diety/dieties). I think that fervent religiosity and fervent atheism are two sides of the same coin.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:57 PM   #144
Blue Crack Addict

I think everyone has their own religion whether or not it's based on a god. One of the wisest teachers I've ever had taught us to define religion based on the first question of the Heidelberg Catechism: What is your only comfort in life and in death? Whatever your answer is, that is your religion. Obviously, for Christians the answer is Christ. But still, everyone has an answer to that question, even if the answer is themselves, so everyone has a religion. Therefore, atheism is not really a religion, it's just not believing in a God, but each atheist still has a religion. Am I making any sense?
Old 09-17-2004, 03:59 PM   #145
Blue Crack Addict

There are people who leave their religion in such a state of anger that they turn their denial of religion into a religion.

Atheism doesnt have anything to do with religion the same way Theism doesnt.

A person can believe in Jesus, God etc and not be interested/agrere with any forms of Christianity that has been built around that particular God. That person is a Theist but not religious.

A Christian is a religious Theist.

There is no religion associated with Athiesm. A person can be a religious Atheist (eg Budhists) or an Irreligous Atheist.

The term Atheist means diddly squat in determining a persons core values.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:14 PM   #146
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by beli
There are people who leave their religion in such a state of anger that they turn their denial of religion into a religion.
That's really what I was speaking to in my post, though I don't think that attitude is reserved solely for those who leave another religion.

I'm agnostic and somewhat anti-religion, by the way, just so you know where I'm coming from.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:18 PM   #147
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:44 AM
Let me throw some more meat in here...what about agnostics? I know someone who is an agnostic. The way he puts it is that he doesn't believe in God, but is open to the fact that their may be a God.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:19 PM   #148
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:44 AM
Looks like i posted that 2 seconds too late!!!!
Old 09-17-2004, 04:20 PM   #149
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy

That's really what I was speaking to in my post, though I don't think that attitude is reserved solely for those who leave another religion.
Pleased to be explaing this? Im not quite following what you are saying.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:26 PM   #150
Blue Crack Addict

Agnostics dont have a code of conduct, purely an opinion on God(s).

Religion and God(s) can be quite separate things.

The gist of this thread is about the ins and outs of religion eg the Christian church lieing, physical relics etc. These topics have nothing to do with God(s)

Well thats how I read it anyway.