Obama General Discussion... (Part 2) - Page 53 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #781
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:20 AM
Dp.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:54 PM   #782
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
It's all about policy, not race.
Um... I'm waiting for the part where it's about race.

The British newspaper journalist who wrote in 2004 "John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, John Hinckley Jr., where are you now that we need you?"... what a racist.

And the movie "Death of a President"... what a bunch of racists that produced it and went to go see it.

Why can't crazy people just be crazy people, BVS?

Old 09-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #783
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
The British newspaper journalist who wrote in 2004 "John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, John Hinckley Jr., where are you now that we need you?"... what a racist.
Charlie Brooker is a satirical columnist. I understand the point you are making, but we are not talking a London Times, or even a Guardian editorial here.

Oh, and:-

Quote:
The Guardian withdrew the article from its website and published and endorsed an apology by Brooker.[5] He has since commented about the remark in the column stating:
Charlie Brooker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Show me where your neocon idols have apologised for calling for mass death (I believe the PC expression is 'regime change') in the Mid East. Show me where your neocon idols have apologised for the mass death they have already caused in the Mid East. Where is Glen Beck's apology for being a big necon shill for the conquest of a sovereign nation, the destruction of its infrastructure and the murder of tens of thousands of its citizens?
Old 09-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #784
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Look at all these racists... By the way, BVS, notice the typoed "there" in the first sign. I know you'll appreciate that.

Dozens more here: Death Threats Against Bush at Protests Ignored for Years � zomblog
Old 09-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #785
ONE
love, blood, life

Are these slogans legal under the US Constitution?

Bush authorised stuff that wasn't legal under the US Constitution. A point that seems to have escaped your attention.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #786
ONE
love, blood, life

BTW, 28612, do you seriously believe the first guy is a liberal far left queer lovin' Democrat? 'Cos he looks more like a very obvious plant to me.

The punk and the black lady look like they mean it, but it is known and well documented that RW political operatives in the payroll of the Bush administration infiltrated anti-war (as in, you know, 'far left') rallies to make them look like they were extremists.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #787
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Look at all these racists...
You know, when I see an anti-globalization protest, despite my agreement with a lot of the basic ideas of the movement, I am also able to, without any problem whatever, state that there is a portion of the people who subscribe to that view who are probably violent, certainly thugs, and maybe even prone to domestic terrorism on any given day.

Instead of recognizing that there is a very obvious racist segment to the Obama haters, you post inane, stupid photos of Bush protesters, which are OBVIOUSLY (at least to every sentient being) not motivated by race at all. It's silly, and it makes me doubt that you spend much time thinking critically about the issue at hand.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:40 PM   #788
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:20 AM
Quote:
Um... I'm waiting for the part where it's about race.

And the movie "Death of a President"... what a bunch of racists that produced it and went to go see it.

Why can't crazy people just be crazy people, BVS?
Well you obviously missed my tongue in cheek point.

I keep hearing "it's about policy", when you hate enough to even "joke" about killing it's not "about policy".

Sorry I didn't make that obvious enough.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:48 PM   #789
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Look at all these racists... By the way, BVS, notice the typoed "there" in the first sign. I know you'll appreciate that.
I've stated over and over that there are quacks on all sides.

But in order for you to be taken seriously, you need to understand the difference between these protestors and the tea party protestors.

*Not that I'm defending their words, but anti-war and anti-globalist protestors are protesting much much bigger ideals than domestic policy and money.

The difference is, I distance myself from these people. You and the "mainstream" hardcore right have not...
Old 09-28-2009, 11:23 PM   #790
She's the One

Local Time: 10:20 PM
Quote:
The difference is, I distance myself from these people. You and the "mainstream" hardcore right have not...

Well, when that's your voter base....
Old 09-28-2009, 11:31 PM   #791
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I do distance myself from racists when I come to the conclusion that they are such. What there is no need to distance myself from are the overwhelming majority of honest protesters who so many here and in the media want to avoid by simply dismissing as racists when they are not.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:34 PM   #792
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Are these slogans legal under the US Constitution?

Bush authorised stuff that wasn't legal under the US Constitution. A point that seems to have escaped your attention.
That has nothing to do with this and you know it. That's an excuse to advocate killing the president?
Old 09-28-2009, 11:38 PM   #793
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Well, when that's your voter base....
And that's the problem that a lot of young conservatives aren't seeing. I don't think they themselves are nearly as racists as the generations before them, but I think it's still so ingrained that they can't really recognize it.

The Hannity's know they can't really speak out because they'll lose some listeners. Rush and Beck ARE part of the problem. The older generations grew up in segregation, pretend it was no big deal and talk about the 50's like they were the golden era. Even McCain was trying to tread the thin line when he didn't tell his town halls to use some decorum, because he knew.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:34 AM   #794
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
What there is no need to distance myself from are the overwhelming majority of honest protesters who so many here and in the media want to avoid by simply dismissing as racists when they are not.

my very honest suspicion is that, firstly, since the tea baggers aren't large in number -- they're dwarfed by your average anti-war protest -- that they are small enough and motivated enough to be driven by something other than rational policy disputes. it really only is the fringe of the right who seem to think Obama is something other than a moderate liberal, and you'll forgive me for associating the fringe of the right with murderous racism, but history quite bears out those suspicions. i can see clear and honest uncertainty in the polls with many of Obama's proposals -- that's fine and fair and part of living in a democracy. i think you'll find that nearly everyone who has disagreed with INDY on the health care thread will agree that, yes, he does have clear points of *policy* disagreement and he can express his opinions with clarity and conviction and consistency.

i don't see a shred of the same when i browse through the comments section on Michelle Malkin, or when i hear Glenn Beck call Obama a racist (or when he mentions "white culture," for example).

however, i will absolutely make it a priority to try to go to the next tea bagger protest in DC and i will try and give an honest assessment of the crowd.

in other news, big BGLT march on DC on October 11th. you're all invited!
Old 09-29-2009, 07:07 AM   #795
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I do distance myself from racists when I come to the conclusion that they are such. What there is no need to distance myself from are the overwhelming majority of honest protesters who so many here and in the media want to avoid by simply dismissing as racists when they are not.
Well to say "overwhelming majority" I think is extremely naive at the very least, but because you've had a history of displaying the lack of recognizing it I understand your stance.

But as a party, you are all doing yourself a disservice by allowing Rush to go on without being called out, by allowing Beck to go on without being called out, to allow these protestors to go on without being called out. If they were truly a minority then you should have no problem asking them to put down their signs or not to speak in order to further your movement, but from what I've seen so far they have been allowed to speak(even saw a members of state governments go off on racist asides during the first tea party) and their signs have been cheered or at the very least given fellow tea partiers a laugh(and they weren't laughing at they were laughing with). Now, I do find that the tea party protestors are a minority of the Republican party, but the racists are not a minority of the tea parties.