Obama General Discussion - Page 45 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2010, 12:00 AM   #661
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:46 AM
ah, young conservatives.

always, always good value. case in point:

YouTube - I think my argument is so powerful that it's not necessary to talk about it

Old 04-05-2010, 04:11 AM   #662
War Child

Local Time: 06:46 AM
Op-Ed Columnist - An Article of Faith - NYTimes.com

Op-Ed Columnist

An Article of Faith

By CHARLES M. BLOW
Published: April 2, 2010

Since signing the health care reform bill, President Obama has been traipsing about the country trying to sell it. It’s not really working for him.
Skip to next paragraph
Earl Wilson/The New York Times

Charles M. Blow

According to a CBS News poll released on Friday, President Obama’s approval rating on health care sank to a personal low: 34 percent. (His overall approval rating in the poll was also a new low for him: 44 percent.)

This is in large part because of Republican recalcitrance. The left loves him. The right not so much. Actually, not at all. According to a Quinnipiac University poll released last week, Obama’s job approval rating among Republicans was a measly 9 percent. On health care, his approval rating was an even-more-measly 7 percent.

Why? The Apostles of Anger in their echo chamber of fallacies have branded him the enemy. This has now become an article of faith. Obama isn’t just the enemy of small government and national solvency. He’s the enemy of liberty.

This underscores the current fight for the soul of this country. It’s not just a tug of war between left and right. It’s a struggle between the mind and the heart, between evidence and emotions, between reason and anger, between what we know and what we believe.

This conflict was captured in a tit-for-tat between Obama and Rush Limbaugh. In an interview with CBS this week, Obama complained about the “vitriol” coming from the likes of Limbaugh: “I think the vast majority of Americans know that we’re trying hard, that I want what’s best for the country.”

Limbaugh shot back on Friday, “I and most Americans do not believe President Obama is trying to do what’s best for the country.”

And there it was. Obama’s language focused on what people “know,” or should know. He seems to find comfort in the empirical nature of knowledge. It’s logical. Limbaugh’s language focused on what he thinks people “believe.” Beliefs are a more complicated blend of facts, or lies, and faith. And, they can exist beyond the realm of the rational.

This focus on faith has allowed people like Limbaugh to mislead and manipulate large swaths of the right.

According to another Quinnipiac poll released last week, Republicans were far more likely than Democrats to say that they follow public affairs most of the time. But how? They listen to people like Limbaugh, and they’re more likely than others to watch Fox News.

But invectives are not information. For example, a poll released on Wednesday by the Pew Research Center found that most Republicans say that they still don’t understand how the new health care reform will affect them and their family.

They don’t know what it means, but they believe it’s bad. Rush & Co. said so. In the vacuum of confusion and misinformation, they strum their fears and feed their anxiety. And, by worrying, their faith is made perfect.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:11 AM   #663
War Child

duplicate... sorry
Old 04-05-2010, 05:32 AM   #664
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
An à propos title, I think, for a few posters here. Don't worry, you'll grow out of it.

They look healthier than the Conservative zombies.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #665
Blue Crack Addict

Cool-let's play diamond

Old 04-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #666
Blue Crack Addict

Huffington Post

The president, apparently, is not amused with Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele's assertion that the two of them, as African Americans, face smaller margins for political error.

Asked about Steele's comment, following a week's worth of bad press for the RNC over lavish expenditures, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs acidly replied:

"I think that it is a very silly comment to make. I think Michael Steele's problem isn't the race card, it's the credit card."

Delivered at Monday's morning gaggle, Gibb's retort elicited a few icy ooohs from the gathering of reporters. Asked if he had prepped the line (which he clearly had), Gibbs replied that he may have been tinkering with how to deliver the rhetorical dagger earlier in the morning.

Appearing on "Good Morning America" Monday, Steele was asked whether he was being criticized unfairly over expenditures on items such as private jet travel, high-end hotels, and bondage-themed nightclubs, because of his race.

"The honest answer is, 'Yes,'" he said. "Barack Obama has a slimmer margin. A lot of folks do. It's a different role for me to play and others to play and that's just the reality of it. But you just take that as a part of the nature of it."
Old 04-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #667
Blue Crack Addict

No Mom jeans, thank God

NPR

Very high and outside. But at least he made it to the plate.

That's the call for the ceremonial first pitch just tossed by President Barack Obama at the Washington Nationals' Major League Baseball home opener against the Philadelphia Phillies.

The president came on the field to what sounded like (from the TV feed) a mix of cheers and boos. He was wearing a Nationals jacket and -- with a grin -- donned a Chicago White Sox cap (his favorite team) when he got to the mound. That produced some very loud boos.

You might recall that Obama got some grief for wearing what looked like "mom's jeans" when he threw out the first pitch at last year's All-Star Game. Today, he looked to be in some safe chinos.

On All Things Considered Sunday, baseball historian Peter Morris talked with NPR's Linda Wertheimer talked about this presidential tradition. This year marks the 100th anniversary of the first time a president did the honors. Then-president Taft was the first.

As Morris told Linda, right from the start there's been some partisanship in the way the presidents' performances have been reviewed.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #668
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

What's "mom's jeans"?
Old 04-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #669
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:46 AM
Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Mom Jeans
Old 04-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #670
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I can only watch that with a US IP.

From what google reveals it can be pretty much any standard jeans.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #671
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
I can only watch that with a US IP.

From what google reveals it can be pretty much any standard jeans.
That video isn't available on YouTube because of copyright issues. NBC owns it (from the Saturday Night Live show). So it's only available on Hulu.

Anyway, that is a comedy skit that must be ten years old. It was the first time I heard the expression "Mom Jeans", and I assume that SNL started it. In the skit, they ridicule "Mom Jeans" as something completely devoid of any style whatsoever (such that only worn out mothers with children would wear them, and buy them at JCPenney, WalMart, etc.) The skit is funny (but in a mean-spirited way).
Old 04-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #672
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:46 AM
Frumpy, unflattering jeans with a high waist (or what used to be considered a regular waist, before the low-rise trend).

Not to be confused with the new trend of slim, trendy high-waisted jeans, which are apparently the big thing now.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #673
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:46 AM

the hell, i'm wearing those right now!
Old 04-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #674
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Thanks for the info. Yes, NBC is pretty strict on the country thing. If you are not in the US, or at least use a proxy to fake a US IP, you can't watch their material.

Standard jeans as I expected. I have such as well. Or used to have. Oh well, I'm such a fashion ignorant.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #675
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:46 AM
I didn't know "mom jeans" could apply to men as well, since to me, most men's jeans styles look alike.

I mean, with women you've got skinny jeans, baggy jeans, bootcut jeans, wide-leg jeans, low-rise jeans, mid-rise jeans, high-rise jeans, cropped jeans ....

With men's jeans, you've got .... men's jeans.