O Canada, We Want to Move to Thee - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2004, 12:43 PM   #181
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:19 PM
Fine, this American leaves. Have fun.

Old 11-05-2004, 12:46 PM   #182
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by spinninghead77

Thanks. 2700 posts and I have always been too intimidated to post in FYM before. You guys are scary
This thread is the first I've really replied to here as well, because it caught my attention. Some of the people in FYM are scary!

Old 11-05-2004, 12:48 PM   #183
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

This thread is the first I've really replied to here as well, because it caught my attention. Some of the people in FYM are scary!
Vicious, even.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:53 PM   #184
Acrobat

Notice how this thread is devoid of Americans. I guess that makes you all feel very good.

Yes, we will go underneath you, be relegated to a lower latitude from you forevermore.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:01 PM   #185
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Traveller
Notice how this thread is devoid of Americans. I guess that makes you all feel very good.

Yes, we will go underneath you, be relegated to a lower latitude from you forevermore.
Why would that make us feel good? What you don't understand is that we don't dislike Americans and have said nothing bad about the US. All we have tried to do is explain to you that there are positive things about Canada too, since you seem to just want to know the bad.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:03 PM   #186
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by spinninghead77

Why would that make us feel good? What you don't understand is that we don't dislike Americans and have said nothing bad about the US. All we have tried to do is explain to you that there are positive things about Canada too, since you seem to just want to know the bad.
Oh no, you've tried to do more than that. You've tried to explain how you're superior, lol.

Well, like I said, we will FOREVER be a lower latitude from you, so why do you even need to take the time? Unless somehow a massive earthquake chooses to shift things around.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:14 PM   #187
Refugee

Quote:

Oh no, you've tried to do more than that. You've tried to explain how you're superior, lol.
Not once, but this conversation is no longer productive so I will end my part in it now.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:15 PM   #188
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Well, like I said, we will FOREVER be a lower latitude from you, so why do you even need to take the time? Unless somehow a massive earthquake chooses to shift things around.
But, you see, that's not what we're trying to do. America is superior to Canada in certain aspects and Canada is superior to America in other aspects. No one has been saying "Canada is better than America, ha ha ha." We've just been pointing out the many benefits to living in Canada, one of the main ones being the standard of living.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:18 PM   #189
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

But, you see, that's not what we're trying to do. America is superior to Canada in certain aspects and Canada is superior to America in other aspects. No one has been saying "Canada is better than America, ha ha ha." We've just been pointing out the many benefits to living in Canada, one of the main ones being the standard of living.
And I disagree about the standard of living. I bristle at such an assumption, and being told I should believe ANYTHING. No one can tell me that MINE isn't superior. I have eyes, I can see.

As for America being superior in some things...certainly. I'll accept that. I do like equality so.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:30 PM   #190
Acrobat

I actually think I have a higher quality of life than Bono, but I bet you that "study" wouldn't say so.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:31 PM   #191
War Child

The thing is that it's easy to have an opinioin and say "Americans" feel this way etc etc. But ALL American's don't think the same. U2traveller, Utah is beautiful and they have a great quality of life but it's not like that all over America! The south is bad right now. From my point of view, there are a lot of people without jobs and health care.

3 years ago I was diagnosed with Cancer and I had no health insurance. I can't even begin to tell you the hell I had to go through. If you don't have health insurance most people in the medical world could care less if you live or die. I've had to deal with that for 3 years and that's NOT my fault. I didn't ask to get sick. If you can't find a job with health insurance what are you suppose to do? Go hungry. I know owe almost $100,000. So, my America isn't that great. I'm not putting this country down because there are a lot worse places. But each American has a different view based on thier experiences. Don't say American's think this way or that. Maybe, YOU think a certain way but not all of us do.

I am not trying to be disresectful I'm just trying to explain how I feel. Thanks
Old 11-05-2004, 01:46 PM   #192
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

How is what I said arrogance. It was just explaining the way Americans think and why we do what we do and why we will NEVER be like you. I am pointing out our differences...period. If you think it sounds arrogant, well, maybe it's just because you're proud.

It looked like a pretty honest and straightforward view of the world to me.

What's wrong with explaining how America thinks and showing that America is not all that bad, and what you think. Hmmm? I know, because it's more fun to look down on us. I know.
I'm sure someone else has already stated this, but I'm going to as well.

U2Traveller, you DO NOT NOW, NOR WILL YOU EVER SPEAK FOR ME. I'm a US citizen (and btw Mexicans and Canadians also live in North America, so are also Americans...hell, everyone in north and south amreica are Americans) and I do NOT see things the same way you do. So how exactly do you think you know "the way Americans think and why we do what we do and why we will NEVER be like you" when you don't even know how most of the "Americans" (US citizens) on this board think, act, and feel?

You talk of others arrogance, but your "I know best" attitude is the epitome of arrogance. You dismiss out of hand various studys and surveys, but expect everyone just to blindly accept that what you say is the the absolute truth. You attack other's experiences and views, but expect others to accept what you say as fact, just because you state it.

Well, this US citizen isn't buying your line of bullshit lady. I have my own views, and do not need the likes of you thinking you speak for me, because you certainly do NOT!
Old 11-05-2004, 01:49 PM   #193
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa71

3 years ago I was diagnosed with Cancer and I had no health insurance. I can't even begin to tell you the hell I had to go through. If you don't have health insurance most people in the medical world could care less if you live or die. I've had to deal with that for 3 years and that's NOT my fault. I didn't ask to get sick. If you can't find a job with health insurance what are you suppose to do? Go hungry. I know owe almost $100,000. So, my America isn't that great. I'm not putting this country down because there are a lot worse places. But each American has a different view based on thier experiences. Don't say American's think this way or that. Maybe, YOU think a certain way but not all of us do.

I am not trying to be disresectful I'm just trying to explain how I feel. Thanks
Old 11-05-2004, 01:49 PM   #194
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa71
The thing is that it's easy to have an opinioin and say "Americans" feel this way etc etc. But ALL American's don't think the same. U2traveller, Utah is beautiful and they have a great quality of life but it's not like that all over America! The south is bad right now. From my point of view, there are a lot of people without jobs and health care.

Lisa71 So many people get cancer. I pray for a cure every day!!! I feel for you and your situation. That would be awful. I can your "America" isn't as good.

I have said that, too, that you can't judge one part of America by the other. I do live in a part of America with a very high quality of life and I KNOW there are other parts of America that struggle. I know that the south is one of those areas.

That's why I feel very grateful to live in Utah. I look around me and I see a general high quality of life. Generally. I do look elsewhere in America and think I'm better off here. I have thought about moving but I can't find anywhere better. I have found places similar to Utah, though, as far as quality of life, like Colorado, Nevada, Idaho, Arizona. These seem to be the strongest states, as far as I'm concerned.

But, to say that Canada has a higher quality of life than America is wrong because that would mean that places like I've mentioned are NOT part of America. Let's just put it this way, some part of Canada have a higher quality of life than some parts of America, and VICE VERSA. No sweeping "study" and judgment is going to be accurate. It depends on what and where you are comparing...and where you are comparing to where.

Maybe...hmm...we can just nicely say that it all balances out to equality. I like that.

I want the ability to afford healthcare to improve. I don't know anyone who doesn't. Even if you can it's still not easy to. I don't know what the problem is, what is wrong, and what is holding up the improvement, but yes, just like everybody else it pisses me off!!! I absolutely hate the greed I see just dripping from it. It's greed that is making it so unaffordable, frankly. That, and Americans not taking care of their health and being sue-happy which supposedly is what drives up the prices YEARLY.

I don't know. But you know what, I have hope for good things for everyone in America because I have good things. I can't imagine that we can't help and take care of everyone.

I don't know how to fix the healthcare issues, I don't know if anyone is really trying, I don't know if those who are mucking it up are really budging or are willing to. Maybe we'll fall flat on our faces...but I'm proud to be an America. There is something to be proud of here. There's a lot of pride in my heart, and I love America. Like Bono, I love what it stands for. I love the idea.

I also love Bono.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:50 PM   #195
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

I'm sure someone else has already stated this, but I'm going to as well.

U2Traveller, you DO NOT NOW, NOR WILL YOU EVER SPEAK FOR ME. I'm a US citizen (and btw Mexicans and Canadians also live in North America, so are also Americans...hell, everyone in north and south amreica are Americans) and I do NOT see things the same way you do. So how exactly do you think you know "the way Americans think and why we do what we do and why we will NEVER be like you" when you don't even know how most of the "Americans" (US citizens) on this board think, act, and feel?

You talk of others arrogance, but your "I know best" attitude is the epitome of arrogance. You dismiss out of hand various studys and surveys, but expect everyone just to blindly accept that what you say is the the absolute truth. You attack other's experiences and views, but expect others to accept what you say as fact, just because you state it.

Well, this US citizen isn't buying your line of bullshit lady. I have my own views, and do not need the likes of you thinking you speak for me, because you certainly do NOT!
Hmm. I think Lisa has more grace than you.