O Canada, We Want to Move to Thee - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-05-2004, 12:28 PM   #166
Refugee
 
spinninghead77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,392
Local Time: 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Traveller


Hey, vice versa.
BS.

I never said anything negative about the states. I repeatedly said that I just prefer Canada. Obviously you prefer the US so that should be enough said.

There is nothing wrong with me loving my country the way you obviously love yours.

Stop being so defensive. This thread was about Americans wanting to move to the US because GWB won the Election. The reason that is wrong is because they shouldn't turn on their country like that, not because there is anything wrong with Canada.
__________________

__________________
spinninghead77 is offline  
Old 11-05-2004, 12:28 PM   #167
Acrobat
 
U2Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 472
Local Time: 03:01 AM
Fine, somehow Canada is supreme, but America is STILL the only superpower. So, I guess you don't have to be supreme to be great and powerful.

Hmm. Bono isn't perfect, either. His lifestyle (like smoking) I wouldn't call high-quality. But, he's great too.

So, I guess America will just join with the not supreme but supremely great category.

We do more with what we have, I guess. Hmm. There's some truth to that. Bottom-line, the true test of greatness is what you do with what you have.

Take lemons...make lemonade. America can do that, and does.
__________________

__________________
U2Traveller is offline  
Old 11-05-2004, 12:29 PM   #168
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Traveller


I think the problem is that people shouldn't freakin' HAVE an annual income of $1,000.
Of course people shouldn't. But they do. There's no easy way to get around it. However, the Canadian government is one of the few that actually does something to try to help people who can't afford to pay an arm and a leg when they desperately need to see a doctor.
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 11-05-2004, 12:30 PM   #169
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Souly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 4,039
Local Time: 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Traveller
Fine, somehow Canada is supreme, but America is STILL the only superpower. So, I guess you don't have to be supreme to be great and powerful.

America is the most powerful country in the world. I don't see what your point is.
__________________
Souly is offline  
Old 11-05-2004, 12:31 PM   #170
Acrobat
 
U2Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 472
Local Time: 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl


Of course people shouldn't. But they do. There's no easy way to get around it. However, the Canadian government is one of the few that actually does something to try to help people who can't afford to pay an arm and a leg when they desperately need to see a doctor.
Well, we prefer not to rely on the government, but we expect the government to get it together...AND we do help one another.
__________________
U2Traveller is offline  
Old 11-05-2004, 12:32 PM   #171
Acrobat
 
U2Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 472
Local Time: 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Souly


America is the most powerful country in the world. I don't see what your point is.
My point is that we did more with less, I guess, in your eyes. Like I said, and now I'm fond of this sentiment...like Bono, America is not supreme, but supremely great. Lol. We do more with what we have.
__________________
U2Traveller is offline  
Old 11-05-2004, 12:32 PM   #172
Refugee
 
spinninghead77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,392
Local Time: 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Traveller
Fine, somehow Canada is supreme, but America is STILL the only superpower. So, I guess you don't have to be supreme to be great and powerful.

Hmm. Bono isn't perfect, either. His lifestyle (like smoking) I wouldn't call high-quality. But, he's great too.

So, I guess America will just join with the not supreme but supremely great category.

We do more with what we have, I guess. Hmm. There's some truth to that. Bottom-line, the true test of greatness is what you do with what you have.

Take lemons...make lemonade. America can do that, and does.
I do not understand why you can't seem to wrap your head around the fact that both countries are great in their own way. You get so angry when us Canadians pump our country up, but then do the same about yours.

Canada does alot with what we have. It is a beautiful country, with amazing people and a pretty incredible social structure.
__________________
spinninghead77 is offline  
Old 11-05-2004, 12:35 PM   #173
Refugee
 
spinninghead77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,392
Local Time: 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Traveller


Well, we prefer not to rely on the government, but we expect the government to get it together...AND we do help one another.
You keep saying "We", but do you really think that the low income familes that can't afford to take their kids to the doctor are happy that they can't rely on the government to help them?

Perhaps you make enough money that worries about health care costs aren't an issue to you, but they are to some people. Not thinking about those people is a very selfish attitude.

And yes, noone should have an annual income of $1,000.00. It is very sad. Maybe those people should take better care of themselves so that the government doesn't have to. But what about their children? Do they not deserve a chance because daddy dropped out of highschool or mom decided to turn to drugs?
__________________
spinninghead77 is offline  
Old 11-05-2004, 12:37 PM   #174
Acrobat
 
U2Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 472
Local Time: 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by spinninghead77


I do not understand why you can't seem to wrap your head around the fact that both countries are great in their own way. You get so angry when us Canadians pump our country up, but then do the same about yours.

Canada does alot with what we have. It is a beautiful country, with amazing people and a pretty incredible social structure.
Hello. I worry about healthcare just like everbody else in America does, rich or poor.

Same here! So, I guess we're equal. There. At last. (Referring to the post before.)
__________________
U2Traveller is offline  
Old 11-05-2004, 12:37 PM   #175
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Souly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 4,039
Local Time: 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by spinninghead77


I do not understand why you can't seem to wrap your head around the fact that both countries are great in their own way. You get so angry when us Canadians pump our country up, but then do the same about yours.

Canada does alot with what we have. It is a beautiful country, with amazing people and a pretty incredible social structure.
__________________
Souly is offline  
Old 11-05-2004, 12:38 PM   #176
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
kobayashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: the ether
Posts: 5,142
Local Time: 06:01 AM
wow.
__________________
im the candyman. and the candyman is back.
kobayashi is offline  
Old 11-05-2004, 12:38 PM   #177
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by spinninghead77


You keep saying "We", but do you really think that the low income familes that can't afford to take their kids to the doctor are happy that they can't rely on the government to help them?

Perhaps you make enough money that worries about health care costs aren't an issue to you, but they are to some people. Not thinking about those people is a very selfish attitude.

And yes, noone should have an annual income of $1,000.00. It is very sad. Maybe those people should take better care of themselves so that the government doesn't have to. But what about their children? Do they not deserve a chance because daddy dropped out of highschool or mom decided to turn to drugs?
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 11-05-2004, 12:39 PM   #178
Acrobat
 
U2Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 472
Local Time: 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Souly


America is an EXTREMELY beautiful country (I live in the most beautiful part) so I can see it for myself, and the people are so wonderful, I love them, and our structure is not that bad, either. It works. It's not perfect, but hey, we all voted very smoothly.

We have work to do. But, frankly, I'm not willing to give America to the dogs.
__________________
U2Traveller is offline  
Old 11-05-2004, 12:41 PM   #179
Acrobat
 
U2Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 472
Local Time: 03:01 AM
This all stemmed from someone saying a "study" proves Canadians have a higher quality of life.

I disagree. Period. For many reasons.
__________________
U2Traveller is offline  
Old 11-05-2004, 12:42 PM   #180
Refugee
 
spinninghead77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,392
Local Time: 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl


Thanks. 2700 posts and I have always been too intimidated to post in FYM before. You guys are scary
__________________

__________________
spinninghead77 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com