O Canada, We Want to Move to Thee - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2004, 12:28 PM   #166
Refugee

Local Time: 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Traveller

Hey, vice versa.
BS.

I never said anything negative about the states. I repeatedly said that I just prefer Canada. Obviously you prefer the US so that should be enough said.

There is nothing wrong with me loving my country the way you obviously love yours.

Stop being so defensive. This thread was about Americans wanting to move to the US because GWB won the Election. The reason that is wrong is because they shouldn't turn on their country like that, not because there is anything wrong with Canada.

Old 11-05-2004, 12:28 PM   #167
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:01 AM
Fine, somehow Canada is supreme, but America is STILL the only superpower. So, I guess you don't have to be supreme to be great and powerful.

Hmm. Bono isn't perfect, either. His lifestyle (like smoking) I wouldn't call high-quality. But, he's great too.

So, I guess America will just join with the not supreme but supremely great category.

We do more with what we have, I guess. Hmm. There's some truth to that. Bottom-line, the true test of greatness is what you do with what you have.

Take lemons...make lemonade. America can do that, and does.

Old 11-05-2004, 12:29 PM   #168
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

I think the problem is that people shouldn't freakin' HAVE an annual income of $1,000.
Of course people shouldn't. But they do. There's no easy way to get around it. However, the Canadian government is one of the few that actually does something to try to help people who can't afford to pay an arm and a leg when they desperately need to see a doctor.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:30 PM   #169
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Fine, somehow Canada is supreme, but America is STILL the only superpower. So, I guess you don't have to be supreme to be great and powerful.

America is the most powerful country in the world. I don't see what your point is.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:31 PM   #170
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

Of course people shouldn't. But they do. There's no easy way to get around it. However, the Canadian government is one of the few that actually does something to try to help people who can't afford to pay an arm and a leg when they desperately need to see a doctor.
Well, we prefer not to rely on the government, but we expect the government to get it together...AND we do help one another.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:32 PM   #171
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Souly

America is the most powerful country in the world. I don't see what your point is.
My point is that we did more with less, I guess, in your eyes. Like I said, and now I'm fond of this sentiment...like Bono, America is not supreme, but supremely great. Lol. We do more with what we have.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:32 PM   #172
Refugee

Quote:

Hmm. Bono isn't perfect, either. His lifestyle (like smoking) I wouldn't call high-quality. But, he's great too.

So, I guess America will just join with the not supreme but supremely great category.

We do more with what we have, I guess. Hmm. There's some truth to that. Bottom-line, the true test of greatness is what you do with what you have.

Take lemons...make lemonade. America can do that, and does.
I do not understand why you can't seem to wrap your head around the fact that both countries are great in their own way. You get so angry when us Canadians pump our country up, but then do the same about yours.

Canada does alot with what we have. It is a beautiful country, with amazing people and a pretty incredible social structure.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:35 PM   #173
Refugee

Quote:

Well, we prefer not to rely on the government, but we expect the government to get it together...AND we do help one another.
You keep saying "We", but do you really think that the low income familes that can't afford to take their kids to the doctor are happy that they can't rely on the government to help them?

Perhaps you make enough money that worries about health care costs aren't an issue to you, but they are to some people. Not thinking about those people is a very selfish attitude.

And yes, noone should have an annual income of $1,000.00. It is very sad. Maybe those people should take better care of themselves so that the government doesn't have to. But what about their children? Do they not deserve a chance because daddy dropped out of highschool or mom decided to turn to drugs?
Old 11-05-2004, 12:37 PM   #174
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by spinninghead77

I do not understand why you can't seem to wrap your head around the fact that both countries are great in their own way. You get so angry when us Canadians pump our country up, but then do the same about yours.

Canada does alot with what we have. It is a beautiful country, with amazing people and a pretty incredible social structure.
Hello. I worry about healthcare just like everbody else in America does, rich or poor.

Same here! So, I guess we're equal. There. At last. (Referring to the post before.)
Old 11-05-2004, 12:37 PM   #175
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Old 11-05-2004, 12:38 PM   #176
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

wow.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:38 PM   #177
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

You keep saying "We", but do you really think that the low income familes that can't afford to take their kids to the doctor are happy that they can't rely on the government to help them?

Perhaps you make enough money that worries about health care costs aren't an issue to you, but they are to some people. Not thinking about those people is a very selfish attitude.

And yes, noone should have an annual income of $1,000.00. It is very sad. Maybe those people should take better care of themselves so that the government doesn't have to. But what about their children? Do they not deserve a chance because daddy dropped out of highschool or mom decided to turn to drugs?
Old 11-05-2004, 12:39 PM   #178
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Souly

America is an EXTREMELY beautiful country (I live in the most beautiful part) so I can see it for myself, and the people are so wonderful, I love them, and our structure is not that bad, either. It works. It's not perfect, but hey, we all voted very smoothly.

We have work to do. But, frankly, I'm not willing to give America to the dogs.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:41 PM   #179
Acrobat

This all stemmed from someone saying a "study" proves Canadians have a higher quality of life.

I disagree. Period. For many reasons.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:42 PM   #180
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

Thanks. 2700 posts and I have always been too intimidated to post in FYM before. You guys are scary