Not In My Back Yard! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2005, 06:27 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:32 PM
windfarms thats a huge topic here in VT....I am all for them

We are having all this "free" energy thrown at us everyday that we don't take advantage of...the wind, sun and rivers.

Who needs the mid-east oil

Old 08-20-2005, 07:46 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:32 PM
I don't have a problem with windmills. Maybe that's because it's not an issue here, I don't live anywhere near a coast.

Old 08-20-2005, 01:24 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Anyone who has driven from the Los Angeles area to Palm Springs knows the visual blight caused by the windmill farms. The natual beauty of the area is lost because of some "environment saving" program developed hundreds of miles away.
I hope you're just joking but I'm afraid you're not. I think the windmills are very cool looking and add interest to an otherwise dull drive. They're certainly not a 'visual blight.'

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
~ go nuclear; well maintained but clean and efficient power
Clean?? You're hilarious!
Old 08-20-2005, 01:53 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:32 PM
Re: Not In My Back Yard!

Quote:
Originally posted by starsforu2
The hypocrisy is delicious!
Just like all the "red states" that want to drill for oil in Alaska, but balk at any attempt to increase drilling in the also oil-rich Gulf of Mexico.

Hypocrisy indeed.

Melon
Old 08-20-2005, 01:55 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl
Clean? And where are you going to store the waste, which will remain radioactive for about the next 30,000 years?
Try 250,000,000 years.

Anyway, I'm hoping we develop better progress in the field of "transmutation," so that these eternally radioactive elements can be transformed into less dangerous elements.

Melon
Old 08-20-2005, 01:57 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Anyone who has driven from the Los Angeles area to Palm Springs knows the visual blight caused by the windmill farms. The natual beauty of the area is lost because of some "environment saving" program developed hundreds of miles away.
I'm sure all those highway billboards on the interstates are oh-so-much prettier...not to mention the sight of existing power plants.

Melon
Old 08-20-2005, 05:50 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl
Clean? And where are you going to store the waste, which will remain radioactive for about the next 30,000 years?
Just bury it in the middle of some geologically stable area with adequate protections.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:00 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:32 PM
Windmills rock my socks.

Although I have a feeling these windmills aren't pretty looking like the windmills of old.

Sometimes I think enviromentalists are just on the bandwagon for the sake of rebelling against something. I guess alot of them are sheep.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:21 PM   #24
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:32 AM
I'd like to see those opposed to this choke and perhaps asphyxiate on pollution.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:26 PM   #25
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Just bury it in the middle of some geologically stable area with adequate protections.

Of which there are none, so that theory goes out the window.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:06 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:32 PM
Re: Re: Not In My Back Yard!

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Just like all the "red states" that want to drill for oil in Alaska, but balk at any attempt to increase drilling in the also oil-rich Gulf of Mexico.

Hypocrisy indeed.
Inaccurate, unsubstantiated and just plain wrong. I don't know which "red state," other than one, you are talking about here.

Unfortunately, Florida is the only "red state" (and a closely split one at that, along Republican/Democratic lines) that opposes drilling in the Eastern Gulf of Mexico. I live in Alabama but agree with Florida on this issue...

You may have been thinking about me posting in here in the past, opposed to drilling in the Eastern Gulf, which I remain opposed to to this day. However, Senators, Congressmen and Governors from "red states" Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Kansas have variously supported it. I was disappointed to hear my own Senator, Jeff Sessions, weighing in to the favor of drilling, recently:
During the Senate debate last week, Republican Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama said he was fed up with Floridians who object to drilling hundreds of miles away. "Florida doesn't own the land 250 miles offshore. That's U.S. water," Sessions said.

It reminds me of a few years ago when Senator Trent "Foghorn Leghorn" Lott said some blather similar to "They're worried about the marine life? Huh, them's some of the best fishin' spots in the Gulf out thar by them thar oil rigs."

Well, Senator, maybe when you and your buddies go out to the rigs, you make some big catches because big fish hang out around any type of reef/structure in the water due to all the baitfish eating off of the structure, but when rupture/spill, and you shut down the entire sport and commercial fishery for a few years. Forget about the Appalachicola oyster beds and the Destin and Orange Beach Grouper fisheries if you screw up the Eastern Gulf.

Regarding ANWR drilling, I'll admit the Eastern Gulf is much nearer and dearer to my heart (and my home) but I have also seen data from coastal conservation groups that indicates land-based drilling and exploration is less ecologically risky than marine-based drilling and exploration. And, yes, personally, I'd rather have this view from Walton County, Florida, in the Eastern Gulf, undisturbed (with or without the human form sitting on the beach)

as opposed to a view like this one from Dauphin Island, Mobile County, Alabama on the eastern edge of the Western Gulf:

And in regards to the "NIMBY" arguments of Senator Kennedy and Walter Cronkite, I think a reasonable solution would be to put the windmills (which are not a hazardous risk compared to an oil rig rupture, spill, etc.) beyond the line of visibility, probably at least 7 miles based on what I've always heard. The argument for putting them inland forgets an important factor: Coastal and marine surface wind is more constant than inland wind, and therefore a much more effiecient source of constant energy to keep the windmills generating power.

~U2Alabama
Old 08-27-2005, 12:26 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:32 AM
oh-oh Sen. Kennedy... get a life.