No smoking outside?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carek1230 said:
I am not a smoker nor do I like being around cigarette smoke. I grew up in a home where 2 parents and most adult relatives smoked. It was at times asphixiating. I try to stay away from it but I do not tell smokers they can't smoke....
My aunt and my mother are the only smokers who visit my house and they will smoke outdoors, in the back corner of the yard. They don't complain about it. It certainly wouldn't be fair for a law to tell me I cannot allow them to smoke outdoors there or to tell them they cannot smoke in my yard.
I grew up in similar circumstances. Both my dad and older brother smoked like fiends, as did most of my aunts and uncles. The house constantly stunk of cigarettes. :yuck: I do not smoke or like being around it either.

That said, I do not favor a ban on smoking outdoors, as long as people are considerate; standing upwind from others, and not hanging about in doorways puffing away (that irks me! The smoke goes right into the building; they may as well be inside smoking! :mad: ). Considerate smokers, I have no problem with. But like any group or subgroup of people, there are always a few self-centered, inconsiderate jerks who make the whole group look bad.

Sue DeNym said:

That said, I do not favor a ban on smoking outdoors, as long as people are considerate; standing upwind from others, and not hanging about in doorways puffing away (that irks me! The smoke goes right into the building; they may as well be inside smoking! :mad: ). Considerate smokers, I have no problem with. But like any group or subgroup of people, there are always a few self-centered, inconsiderate jerks who make the whole group look bad.

Therein lies the problem. I go to the beach every weekend over the summer, sometimes two days in a row, and it's hard to think of a time we didn't have to move or make it obvious we were annoyed with people spending their entire day chain smoking about 10 feet from everyone else, including families with babies. There are many beaches in the area, and we go to this one specifically because it is more of a "family" beach than the other beaches (which are more party beaches for young people). I don't care if the smoke isn't unhealthy for others, but the nature of the beach (hot and breezy) is that inevitably blows in everyone's faces and food all day long. Considerate people wouldn't smoke on the public beach.

Alcohol is not allowed on the beach, dogs are not allowed on the beach, trash is not allowed on the beach (there are no trash cans on the beach, you're given a bag and everyone carries their trash out), you can't swim beyond the buoys and you can't park boats in front of the buoys. No one complains about these rules and the people that get a warning from the sherrif (usually for dog owners who don't see the signs or boaters who's sea-doo's drift in) don't really care once they're made aware of the rules. I don't see how smoking is any different than the other bans that haven't been difficult to enforce.

melon said:
If it didn't have 400 years of history on its side, it would likely be as banned as asbestos and DDT.

Interestingly, tobacco probably won't need to be banned on a federal level, because health insurance companies are doing a good job of that itself. More and more companies are now charging smokers more for health insurance than non-smokers, with the difference being often as much as $50 extra a month.

Melon

This came into effect, on Jan 1st for the major corporation I work for. I have several co-workers who are trying desperately (anti depressants, patches, gum and cold turkey) to quit.. simply
because they want to avoid the higher insurance rate..

Makes me wonder who's watching them when they are not at work..
Then what's next..
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic, how long will it be before your insurance company refuses to cover you because you "MAY" develop skin cancer because of your many trips to the beach and exposer to harmful sun rays ??

When the door is opened, and it already has been, it will be slung wide open, for as long a people are willing to deny some people right's and let other's just slide, because it seems more of a desirable "right".

It will evenutally venture in to every aspect of human life, if we let it. We are dealing with "other people" dealing with what we are suppose to do and what they decide is coverable.
Never forget we are dealing with insurance companies who don't really want to pay your claim.. :hmm:

sue4u2 said:

Makes me wonder who's watching them when they are not at work..
Then what's next..
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic, how long will it be before your insurance company refuses to cover you because you "MAY" develop skin cancer because of your many trips to the beach and exposer to harmful sun rays ??

When the door is opened, and it already has been, it will be slung wide open, for as long a people are willing to deny some people right's and let other's just slide, because it seems more of a desirable "right".

But I wear sun screen/clothes or sit under an umbrella. Me sitting in the sand reading a book is what the beach is for and it doesn't bother anyone else.

I guess I'm failing to see how smoking is "special" or any different that other activities/substances banned in many public places? There are tons of things that are banned, but nobody would consider it against the constitution and the government taking away basic rights and freedoms. In the grand scheme of things, I don't really care whether people smoke in public places or not, but I can't find a unique arguement in favor of it...

I don't see anything wrong with insurance companies charging premiums or banning smoking in areas where it harms people or private property.

But the moves to restrict more and more tightly with blanket bans - I really can't get behind that, if people can't have a fag at the pub then they just go home and the kids get exposed more, or a great example having people go outside they need those big heaters which in enough number have an effect on greenhouse gas emissions.

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:

But the moves to restrict more and more tightly with blanket bans - I really can't get behind that, if people can't have a fag at the pub then they just go home and the kids get exposed more, or a great example having people go outside they need those big heaters which in enough number have an effect on greenhouse gas emissions.

I dunno, I think it can work. On a small scale....you can't smoke anywhere on my college campus except designated smoking "pits". It works very well, and it's cold and snowy here 6 months of the year. There are several "pits" on campus where students and faculty go. They're close enough to be convenient, but far enough not to have smoke drifting in dorm or classroom windows. People who hate smoke can avoid the smoking pits. Everyone is happy. Ironically, the most problems we have with people breaking the rules are at the beginning of the school year when the freshmen's parents are around.

Back
Top Bottom