No just cause for war resolution: UN - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2003, 06:13 PM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Correct. While the United State, along with the rest of the industrial world, has an interest access to the oil resources in the region, there seems to be an underlying assumption that GWB will gain a personal economic/political benefit from invading Iraq and will do so even if Iraq fully complies with the UN mandates.
I don't agree with that hypothesis either. Bush made it very clear in his speech last night that he intends to go in, with or without UN backing as soon as that resolution is voted on.

Old 03-07-2003, 06:17 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by U2luv

I don't agree with that hypothesis either. Bush made it very clear in his speech last night that he intends to go in, with or without UN backing as soon as that resolution is voted on.
Bush's statement is the only way to apply pressure to Saddam. The only reason we are this far in the inspection process has been the imminent threat of force. No amount of UN resolution passing will cause Saddam to disarm.

Old 03-07-2003, 06:27 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by oktobergirl
If IRAQ completely disarmed I think Bush would still send us to war.

Absolutely. He and Rumsfeld are determined to go to war in Iraq no matter what. They could get rid of all of their swords and there would still be a war.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:35 PM   #19
you are what you is

Local Time: 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Bush's statement is the only way to apply pressure to Saddam. The only reason we are this far in the inspection process has been the imminent threat of force. No amount of UN resolution passing will cause Saddam to disarm.
sad, but true

I still feel war with Iraq isn't a good idea when you don't have a good plan on what will happen in Iraq afterwards and how to deal with it
so I hope that the plans they have will work out
because backing off Saddam can't be a good idea either
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 03-07-2003, 07:07 PM   #20
The Fly

Local Time: 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
sad, but true

I still feel war with Iraq isn't a good idea when you don't have a good plan on what will happen in Iraq afterwards and how to deal with it
so I hope that the plans they have will work out
because backing off Saddam can't be a good idea either
I agree, you need to have specific goals. That is one of the major problems I saw with last nights speech. Bush was asked specifically what would happen after Saddam was removed, how much would it cost in both lives as well as money, and what effect he saw it having on the economy here in the US. He blatantly ignored those questions.
I got the feeling that they, or he, hadn't really thought it out to that point, or don't they believe that people can handle the truth?
I also agree on the point that Saddam is the type that seems to need threats to get him to do what needs doing, but at the same time, there needs to be restaint. Saddam DOES need to be dealt with but at what cost?