NJ Abolishes The Death Penalty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
The Associated Press
updated 11:13 a.m. ET, Mon., Dec. 17, 2007

TRENTON, N.J. - Gov. Jon S. Corzine signed into law Monday a measure that abolishes the death penalty, making New Jersey the first state in more than four decades to reject capital punishment.

The bill, approved last week by the state's Assembly and Senate, replaces the death sentence with life in prison without parole.

"This is a day of progress for us and for the millions of people across our nation and around the globe who reject the death penalty as a moral or practical response to the grievous, even heinous, crime of murder," Corzine said.

The measure spares eight men on the state's death row. On Sunday, Corzine signed orders commuting the sentences of those eight to life in prison without parole.

Among the eight spared is Jesse Timmendequas, a sex offender who murdered 7-year-old Megan Kanka in 1994. The case inspired Megan's Law, which requires law enforcement agencies to notify the public about convicted sex offenders living in their communities.

New Jersey reinstated the death penalty in 1982 — six years after the U.S. Supreme Court allowed states to resume executions — but it hasn't executed anyone since 1963.

The state's move is being hailed across the world as a historic victory against capital punishment. Rome plans to shine golden light on the Colosseum in support. Once the arena for deadly gladiator combat and executions, the Colosseum is now a symbol of the fight against the death penalty.

"The rest of America, and for that matter the entire world, is watching what we are doing here today," said Assemblyman Wilfredo Caraballo, a Democrat. "New Jersey is setting a precedent that I'm confident other states will follow."

The bill passed the Legislature largely along party lines, with controlling Democrats supporting the abolition and minority Republicans opposed. Republicans had sought to retain the death penalty for those who murder law enforcement officials, rape and murder children, and terrorists, but Democrats rejected that.

"It's simply a specious argument to say that, somehow, after six millennia of recorded history, the punishment no longer fits the crime," said Assemblyman Joseph Malone, a Republican.

Members of victims' families fought against the law.

"I will never forget how I've been abused by a state and a governor that was supposed to protect the innocent and enforce the laws," said Marilyn Flax, whose husband Irving was abducted and murdered in 1989 by death row inmate John Martini Sr.

Iowa, West Virginia last states to abolish death penalty
The last states to eliminate the death penalty were Iowa and West Virginia in 1965, according to the National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty.

The nation has executed 1,099 people since the U.S. Supreme Court reauthorized the death penalty in 1976. In 1999, 98 people were executed, the most since 1976; last year 53 people were executed, the lowest since 1996.

Other states have considered abolishing the death penalty recently, but none has advanced as far as New Jersey.

The nation's last execution was Sept. 25 in Texas. Since then, executions have been delayed pending a U.S. Supreme Court decision on whether execution through lethal injection violates the constitutional ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

RENTON, New Jersey (CNN) -- The man who raped and killed 7-year-old Megan Kanka -- the 1994 crime that inspired "Megan's Law" -- is one of eight men whose sentences were commuted to life in prison this week as part of New Jersey's new ban on execution.

The Garden State on Monday became the first state in more than three decades to abolish the death penalty after a commission ruled the punishment is "inconsistent with evolving standards of decency."

Gov. Jon Corzine the day before commuted the sentences of eight men sitting on the state's death row. They will now serve life in prison without parole, according to the governor's office.

Among the eight is Jesse Timmendequas, 46, who was sentenced to death in June 1997 for Megan's murder.

Prosecutors said Timmendequas lured Megan to his home by saying he wanted to show her a puppy. He then raped her, beat her and strangled her with a belt. A day later, he led police to her body.

"Megan's Law," introduced after her death, requires that authorities notify neighbors when a sex offender moves into an area. Timmendequas had twice been convicted of sex crimes -- on 5- and 7-year-olds -- before he murdered Megan.

The man who raped and killed 7-year-old Megan Kanka -- the 1994 crime that inspired "Megan's Law" -- is one of eight men whose sentences were commuted to life in prison this week as part of New Jersey's new ban on execution.

As it should be. Life imprisonment is a much better punishment for a crime like this.

Good move, New Jersey :up:.

Angela

financeguy said:
From whose point of view?

Well, in my opinion, it is. And I'm sure there's some out there who would agree. Death lets these people off too easy, they don't get a chance to have their crimes come back to haunt them. Not to mention, correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard it told that criminals who hurt/kill children automatically make themselves quite a few enemies in jail...I think they'd almost wish for death over having to deal with other criminals.

But yeah, I should've clarified that that was my personal opinion-I do personally think murder, rape, molestation, stuff like that, should be worthy of life imprisonment.

Angela

It's alway amazing how some get so concerned over the fate of killers and so unconcerned about their victims.

Jesse Timmendequas and the other convicted killers in N.J. will enjoy three meals a day and life.

Their victims are dead.

No thumbs up from me,
only saddness

the iron horse said:
It's alway amazing how some get so concerned over the fate of killers and so unconcerned about their victims.

Not this crap again.

the iron horse said:

Jesse Timmendequas and the other convicted killers in N.J. will enjoy three meals a day and life.

Their victims are dead.

No thumbs up from me,
only saddness

It's always amazing how some think we have a perfect system and have no problem dealing out such absolutes. Jesus placed the ear back onto those that wanted him dead, he told us to love our enemies. It's too bad some forget that part.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

It's always amazing how some think we have a perfect system and have no problem dealing out such absolutes. Jesus placed the ear back onto those that wanted him dead, he told us to love our enemies. It's too bad some forget that part.

I did not say we have a perfect system, but I am saying that there are cases where there is no doubt of guilt.

I am alway saying that threads like this and on other boards are always pleading the case of the killers, not the victims.

And Jesus?

Did he love evil?

the iron horse said:

I did not say we have a perfect system, but I am saying that there are cases where there is no doubt of guilt.

I am alway saying that threads like this and on other boards are always pleading the case of the killers, not the victims.

There will NEVER be 100% absolute doubt of guilt, yet death is 100% absolute.

It has nothing to do with pleading the case of the killers.

the iron horse said:

And Jesus?

Did he love evil?

I think he loved the commandments. Remember 'thou shall not kill'? I don't remember the ammendment 'unless they are criminals'.

Beyond a reasonable doubt is the grounds for guilt in our system. Thus, the death penalty is not applicable because our system is intentionally not infallible.

It's very simple, really.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

There will NEVER be 100% absolute doubt of guilt, yet death is 100% absolute.

It has nothing to do with pleading the case of the killers.

I think he loved the commandments. Remember 'thou shall not kill'? I don't remember the ammendment 'unless they are criminals'.

The Comandment is:

Thou Shall Not Murder

the iron horse said:

Failing to support state-sponsored executions does not equate with pleading the case for violent criminals.

phillyfan26 said:
Beyond a reasonable doubt is the grounds for guilt in our system. Thus, the death penalty is not applicable because our system is intentionally not infallible.

It's very simple, really.

Iron Horse, do you have any response to this?

the iron horse said:

My opposition to the death penalty really isn't related to unreasonable doubt (although I recognize it as a factor). I think it's inhumane and immoral and I couldn't myself pull the plug. So how could I in good conscience require somebody else to do it for me?

Last edited:
the iron horse said:

Their victims are dead.

No thumbs up from me,
only saddness

I think you're confusing justice with vengeance.

the iron horse said:

Their victims are dead.

No thumbs up from me,
only saddness

What exactly is the purpose of the justice system, in your view? Have you ever given this any thought?

the iron horse said:

Their victims are dead.

No thumbs up from me,
only saddness

how does making more dead bring back the dead?

have you ever been inside a prison?

Back
Top Bottom