New Bush Litmus Test For AIDS Funding - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2005, 02:04 PM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:20 AM
i am just saying the cheating spouse is at fault for damaging his marriage

not the prostitute

Old 03-03-2005, 02:06 PM   #92
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:20 AM
ditto, deep.

prostitutes don't hurt marriages; cheating husbands do.

i think the gambling analogy is apt -- and gambling is legal, though something i've never done.

i don't think it's the role of government to simply outlaw that which has the potential to do damage if it is misused by the wrong people. yes, we do that with somethings, but with prostitution, since much of it is emotional and deals with sex and sexuality, that's up to the individual to regulate.

Old 03-03-2005, 02:10 PM   #93
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
i am just saying the cheating spouse is at fault for damaging his marriage

not the prostitute
Takes two to tango.

And I've been discussing harm to society as a whole - not just on an individual basis.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:00 PM   #94
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Takes two to tango.

And I've been discussing harm to society as a whole - not just on an individual basis.

there's always going to be a prostitute -- you've earlier admitted as much. why not make it legal, and therefore safer.

is the House responsible if you gamble away your life savings? is the gun responsible when you shoot someone?

and i've understood your argument is that the damage it does to an individual, or an individual relationship, is waht then in turn harms society, you've said nothing about how prostitution harms society as a whole.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:03 PM   #95
Blue Crack Supplier

i guess it also comes down to how much freedom we should allow people to engage in activities that might be fun, that might be harmless, but might also be personally destructive.

who decides?
Old 03-03-2005, 03:24 PM   #96
Refugee

Local Time: 06:20 PM
the guardians of our moral societies maybe? you know, they have every right to do so, after all.

but seriously, lets talk about the current situation. there are 2 options in front of us: legalize prostitution or not.
if we dont legalize it:
--prostitution will remain as a criminal activity very much in the hands of career criminals
--we will be busting people for having sex (awesome isnt it??)
--we will have the higher moral ground to condemn the people involved of being lowly and certain parts of society will have the chance to imposed their 'holy' morality on the others.
--we can protect the 'family values' since they are only tarnished when the Johnny (i like the term) bangs his next door neighbour's wife instead of some women he doesnt know. (adultery is not going away just cause you criminalized prostitution, you know)
--prostitution has been around for thousands of years and it is not going away now, so that wont be a consequence of our righteous action.

if we legalize it:
--we will remove the criminals out of the market, which will substantially improve the lives of the prostitutes.
--it will bring the market under government regulation, which will help the government stop underage exploitation and help fight STDs, by testing the workers regularly and giving them better working conditions.
--it will save the cops some time to deal with real crimes
--it will give back the dignity they rightfully deserve to the women who participate in these acts.
--improving the lives of thousands of people who are in this industry
--increase tax revenues by taxing prostitution
Old 03-03-2005, 03:28 PM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:20 AM
Quote:
Takes two to tango.

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
there's always going to be a prostitute -- you've earlier admitted as much. why not make it legal, and therefore safer.

is the House responsible if you gamble away your life savings? is the gun responsible when you shoot someone?

and i've understood your argument is that the damage it does to an individual, or an individual relationship, is waht then in turn harms society, you've said nothing about how prostitution harms society as a whole.
Why not make it legal? Because I want to live in a society without so much perversion. Therefore, I feel this activity could be damaging to those of us who are trying to raise the next generation. In their rebellion stage, they have the propensity to believe that anything that is legal must be right.

Prostitutes are not money, they are not guns either. They are living people like you and me, who should follow the same laws as you and me. Perhaps we should stop comparing them to objects. I kindly ask for better examples.

Quote:
i guess it also comes down to how much freedom we should allow people to engage in activities that might be fun, that might be harmless, but might also be personally destructive.

who decides?
We all believe in freedom, but our boundaries tend to differ. Nobody here - I HOPE - would be fine with me lifting up a girl's shirt without her consent. Some here believe that violent crimes are the only crimes that are the government's business. Based on that principle, it's okay for me to litter out of laziness than to be a good citizen and recycle as often as necessary. Our views differ a bit on self-destructive activities as well, I believe they should be discouraged, while you tend to believe in anything goes. In your humble opinion, are there any alternatives to legalized prostitution that would benefit society as a whole, as well as the woman? I just don't believe in trying to make a wrong a right.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:36 PM   #98
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:20 AM
Quote:

Takes two to tango.

What if the prostitute doesn't know he's married?

Does the 'two to tango' work if a man buys a gun legally and then uses it for a crime, is the gun seller at fault to?
Old 03-03-2005, 03:40 PM   #99
Refugee

Local Time: 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe

Why not make it legal? Because I want to live in a society without so much perversion. Therefore, I feel this activity could be damaging to those of us who are trying to raise the next generation. In their rebellion stage, they have the propensity to believe that anything that is legal must be right.

the prostitution will not stop just cause its illegal. the 'perversion' youre talking about, basicly 2 people having sex and one of them paying the other, is happening right now. i think you should weigh out the benefits and costs of legalizing prostitution rather than just playing the moral high ground and saying, 'they are awful, terrible, perverted people, shame on them!'
and the young generation you are talking about, are they just going to say 'hey, prostitution is legal! let me go out and sell my body!' ? if people do this cause they need the money and dont have any other choice, they would do it anyway, legal or not.

and if youre saying the young males will go out and sleep with prostitutes, well, as long as they are protected (which legalization will increase the chances of) what difference does it have from just having sex with your girlfriend? its also transferring funds to the economy?

just because you think you know whats right and moral for others to do doesnt mean we should heed your advice. the legislation has the chance to make life better for so many people and doesnt do it because of it OWN moral issues? it doesnt even do this when people are dying of AIDS? what morality are we talking about?
Old 03-03-2005, 03:56 PM   #100
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

First of all, I can find just as much if not more perversion in your church. I mean just by seeing some of the perversion of scripture that I see in here gives me a clue as to what kind of perversion is going on in some of the churches out there. Two, if you are raising the next generation and you are scared that they'll believe that anything legal is right then you're doing a shitty job raising the next generation. Drinking, smoking, pre-marital sex, divorce, hate, cussing, gambling, sex clubs, and wife swapping are all legal but I wouldn't say all are right.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:34 PM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

First of all, I can find just as much if not more perversion in your church. I mean just by seeing some of the perversion of scripture that I see in here gives me a clue as to what kind of perversion is going on in some of the churches out there. Two, if you are raising the next generation and you are scared that they'll believe that anything legal is right then you're doing a shitty job raising the next generation. Drinking, smoking, pre-marital sex, divorce, hate, cussing, gambling, sex clubs, and wife swapping are all legal but I wouldn't say all are right.
Perversion of Scripture? I'd say this analysis took an unnecessary turn here.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:56 PM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:20 AM
Quote:

What basis of my post gives you the snotrockets to attack my church?
Old 03-03-2005, 05:09 PM   #103
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
What basis of my post gives you the snotrockets to attack my church?
Your posts, well I could say alot, but what the point was:

All churches.

My point was that all churches have their perversions. You focusing on this one issue and not seeing all those that surround you makes you come off a little blind.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:14 PM   #104
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:20 PM
Quote:

who decides?
to some extent, activities falling into this category which have been illegal for a long time, such as prostitution, are more difficult to legalize.

ones that have always been legal, such as smoking, will be more difficult to make illegal.

People are wary of change as you well know.

Sometimes it takes social momentum.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:20 PM   #105
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:20 PM
Quote:

you come off a little blind.
It is well established that masturbation "coming off" does not make one blind after all.

Just cooling off with a bit of potty humor