Negative portrayals of men in advertising / the media - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2007, 05:25 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:30 PM
Negative portrayals of men in advertising / the media

Here is an interesting article about a topic I haven't seen discussed much (at all?) on here - the negative portrayal of men in advertising and the media in general.

http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=4907

"Until recently, gender theorists and media researchers have argued or assumed that media representations of men are predominantly positive, or at least unproblematic. Men have allegedly been shown in mass media as powerful, dominant, heroic, successful, respected, independent and in other positive ways conducive to men and boys maintaining a healthy self-identity and self-esteem.

However, this view has come under challenge over the past few years. John Beynon, a Welsh cultural studies academic, examined how masculinity was portrayed in the British quality press including The Times, The Guardian and The Sunday Times over a three-year period from 1999-2001 and in books such as Susan Faludi’s 2000 best-seller Stiffed: The Betrayal of Modern Man. Beynon concluded in his 2002 book, Masculinities and Culture, that men and masculinity were overwhelmingly presented negatively and as “something dangerous to be contained, attacked, denigrated or ridiculed, little else”.

Canadian authors, Paul Nathanson and Katherine Young in a controversial 2001 book, Spreading Misandry: The Teaching of Contempt for Men in Popular Culture reported widespread examples of “laughing at men, looking down on men, blaming men, de-humanising men, and demonising men” in modern mass media. They concluded: “… the worldview of our society has become increasingly both gynocentric (focused on the needs and problems of women) and misandric (focused on the evils and inadequacies of men)”."

Old 04-01-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:30 AM
These days clumsy dumb women are certainly underrepresented.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:30 AM
As a white male, middleaged, living a very comfortable life on the beach in California I have not felt any back lash from these negative portrayals.

As a matter of fact, I believe that if anything, I have had and do have advantages because of my status.

I suppose if I had gone through a divorce, or a child custody situation, I might have a different opinion.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:30 PM
I have sympathy for anyone drawn as an easy target by the media and culture, belittled by sterotypical "truisms"--man or woman. I no more believe in the totality of these images of men than I do women. We poke humor at the opposite gender all the time. I don't see any harm in goodnatured needling; the danger is when it becomes the perceived reality. I don't know that all those images rise to that level, but some do for sure.

Men still hold significant advantage in real life (but, hey, at least I'm not dead), but I don't think negative media representation is the way to handle it. Neither do I think seeing the other as the enemy is.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:22 PM   #5
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:30 AM
I think there's an abundance of negative male imagery in advertising, but we tend not to get worked up over it because we don't often feel much sympathy for the 'marginalised' (?) when their position is typically safer and more secure in general. If the position of men in society wasn't where it is then perhaps women would not be so indifferent and men might complain a bit more seriously.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:53 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I think there's an abundance of negative male imagery in advertising, but we tend not to get worked up over it because we don't often feel much sympathy for the 'marginalised' (?) when their position is typically safer and more secure in general. If the position of men in society wasn't where it is then perhaps women would not be so indifferent and men might complain a bit more seriously.
You nailed it. Homer Simpson is an icon. Most sitcoms feature a male as a bumbling fool with a big heart. The old days of Father Knows Best are long gone.

I think children would be affected by negative stereotypes in the media of any gender. This "attack" on men is a relatively recent phenomenon and it's affects probably won't be measured properly for a few more years.

If the ONLY men in the media were these negative images, fine, I would whole heartedly agree with the issue as being a problem. But men generally dominate the media and are still portrayed as powerful, successful and dominant for the most part. Men being shown as villains in a movie doesn't count since like in real life most villains in the real world are still men. I don't think this portrayal of men is positive either. Men are allowed to cry, men are allowed to display emotion, men are allowed to love children, and not only want the almighty dollar. I think that is just as an important problem in today's media.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:30 AM
Interesting opinion piece, not very convincing to me though. Men still play the majority of roles. So yes in a movie the villian may be a man, but the majority of the heros who destroy the villians are...guess what? MEN. They completely ignore these facts throughout the piece.

Here's another piece I found interesting:

"The research found that men are also objectified in women’s magazines and popular media in the same ways that women were in male-orientated media for several generations, but which is now regarded as blatantly sexist and “politically incorrect”. For instance, Cosmopolitan magazine’s “Guy without a shirt” section features male pin-ups such as David Beckham - for example, “Want to see Becks take a free kick - naked” (October 2003). The top-rating TV program, Sex and the City has extensively portrayed men as little more than sex objects and “handbags” for women’s amusement and pleasure."

Are you serious? "Were" objectified? You've got to be kidding, for every Cosmo there is a Maxim, FHM, Details, GQ, Playboy, etc...

This alone makes it obvious this opinion piece is a piece of...
Old 04-01-2007, 07:05 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:30 PM
It's ironic that to allow men to cry without rebuke, to love, to set other goals than money or some other kind of dominance is considered by so many to be some kind of "feminization" of men.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:07 PM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 04-02-2007, 05:10 AM   #10
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think a lot of guys are just confused about our role in the world nowadays, just a natural thing from more women coming to the fore I guess, that the media is also uncertain of how to portray us as well.

Are we meant to be stay at home fathers? Display less masculine qualities? Or continue with the traditional male qualities, strong silent type and all that..........It's just a balancing act finding the happy medium, which I think most women managed to work out a decade ago, and since you seem to be much more adaptable creatures the men are left behind a bit in finding this balance.

One thing that I have noticed recently though, there does seem to be very little children's tv on at the moment specifically aimed at boys, or at least some gender neutral programming (everyone watched the Turtles and Thundercats didn't they?) or maybe it's just a lack of decent action cartoons
Old 04-02-2007, 07:40 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

OK, King of Queens, Tool Time and The Simpsons aren't really very positive about the image of men, but on the other hand you have Al Bundy still airing
Old 04-02-2007, 10:19 AM   #12
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
OK, King of Queens, Tool Time and The Simpsons aren't really very positive about the image of men,
I would throw According to Jim and Still Standing, etc.

Fat lazy men with hot wives. I'm not sure if this is negative towards men or just society in general. Is it painting men as fat, lazy, beer drinking slobs; or is it telling us that women have to be hot and men don't? Or is it telling us women just settle?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:25 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It shows us that you can be a fat, lazy, beer drinking slob and still get a woman like Leah Remini
Old 04-02-2007, 10:26 AM   #14
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
It shows us that you can be a fat, lazy, beer drinking slob and still get a woman like Leah Remini
So why am I going to the gym?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:45 AM   #15
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Beacause you are a feminist controlled cyborg