"My god is true, your god is false" - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2007, 05:21 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:17 AM
"My god is true, your god is false"

"My God is the only God"
"My God is true,yours one is false"
"Since my God is the only truth, why dont u come over here"

Since after Cold war, we are in the religion-war phase for last 16-17 years ( and I am sure it will continue for another 20 years - the way things are going)

Isnt it about time to BAN all philosphies that subscribe to the above views?

I also dont understand how we can allow public propogation of anything that cant be scientifically proved especially when it adds to the conflict/loss of innocent lives ?

Lets not make this thread into why this religion is correct or why this is wrong or whatever...or religion is good and intepretation is wrong...and all related stuff...

We can argue why philosphies which are the root cause of present conflict shouldnt be banned..and how can we allow propogation of fiction or unproven facts ?

I dont have issues with anything...if it is kept personal ...and inside ur home

Old 06-03-2007, 06:36 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:17 PM
These attitudes create static societies that simply can't compete with more open and liberal secular ones in the innovation stakes, I don't think that the future will be written by theocracy.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:33 AM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 09:17 PM
I am friends with (she is really a friend of my mum) a JW and she said exactly what you have suggested, AcrobatMan, that the "Dark Angels" that have descended on earth will end up controlling the Earth through Politicians and the media and that there will be a total ban of practiscing religion in all it's forms....this is when the Apocalypse will happen.

*sounds out twilight zone themesong*

Actually, when you look at the likes of Howard and Bush......you do wonder
Old 06-03-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 07:17 AM
Actually, these religious nuts are from a larger series of cycles that stretch back to the 19th century, specifically. Even then, though, they are just a modern form of Protestantism that had existed for centuries prior to that.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:17 PM
People should, regardless of what religion they have, create some sort of 'consensus', feelings of peace towards each other. If this involves making some concessions, then so be it. I might be a bit straightforward in this, even though I am aware of the many religious conflicts and differences that exist, but there shouldn't be room for extremists or conflicts over religion, especially when we all feel that 'we' are so progressive and intellectual and capable of creating a better world.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:17 AM
Here's my take on religion: every religion has some sort of "supreme being"--despite his/her name, aren't they the "same guy"? Why don't people realize that and get over it? I think Earth is some kind of cosmic experiment, anyway--which makes "the Head Fred" some astral being from 'way out there.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:22 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MsPurrl
Here's my take on religion: every religion has some sort of "supreme being"--despite his/her name, aren't they the "same guy"? Why don't people realize that and get over it? I think Earth is some kind of cosmic experiment, anyway--which makes "the Head Fred" some astral being from 'way out there.
Exactly, I totally agree with you!
Old 06-03-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
The Fly

Ban religions? You want to ban religions? (You can use the term "philosophies" if you want, but you're talking about religion.)

No. It's a very bad idea to start banning religions. And it wouldn't stop any war, it would only make more war.

As much as the attitude that "My God is the only real God" bothers me, I don't believe in banning religions. And it can't be done in my nation, anyway; there's this thing called the First Amendment...
Old 06-03-2007, 07:18 PM   #9
Acrobat

Not surprisingly, I disagree. What you are asking for is a non passionate existence. I believe that most of the truly great and truly evil things that have occurred in human history have been motivated by some kind of religious belief.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:19 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Re: "My god is true, your god is false"

Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan
"My God is the only God"
"My God is true,yours one is false"
"Since my God is the only truth, why dont u come over here"

Since after Cold war, we are in the religion-war phase for last 16-17 years ( and I am sure it will continue for another 20 years - the way things are going)

Isnt it about time to BAN all philosphies that subscribe to the above views?

I also dont understand how we can allow public propogation of anything that cant be scientifically proved especially when it adds to the conflict/loss of innocent lives ?

Lets not make this thread into why this religion is correct or why this is wrong or whatever...or religion is good and intepretation is wrong...and all related stuff...

We can argue why philosphies which are the root cause of present conflict shouldnt be banned..and how can we allow propogation of fiction or unproven facts ?

I dont have issues with anything...if it is kept personal ...and inside ur home
I'm all for silencing religious nuts, but banning philosophies?

Old 06-04-2007, 12:21 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by MsPurrl
They're not the "same guy," that's why many of them believe they have the "right" path. That's the problem.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:26 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by popsadie
Not surprisingly, I disagree. What you are asking for is a non passionate existence. I believe that most of the truly great and truly evil things that have occurred in human history have been motivated by some kind of religious belief.
Yes, but how often was this belief actually taught by the religious text? Evil, war, hatred, etc aren't things Christ taught me.

Many of the evils that have occured in history may have religious tones to them or have been done in the name of religion, but that doesn't mean they were a carrying out of the religion.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:54 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I am not for banning religions... NO WAY..........Believe me I am way too LIBERAL for that..

Only certain PHILOSPHIES with many religions.. and that too NOT ON A PERSONAL level...but on public level... if the philosphies is proven root cause of loss of lives...( most of them innocent)
( may be reform is the way forward).. On the personal level..anything is acceptable...and I am no one to interfere...

I have no problems with anyone who believes in anything or anything they want to...All people are welcome to believe whatever..

Thanks everyone else for their response :-)

As pointed out by A_Wanderer...I am going to believe that OPEN, LIBERAL, SECULAR and SCIENTIFIC society is the way forward....

I am glad we didnt spin off on ...on religions are good..interpretation is bad.... etc etc....
Old 06-04-2007, 09:08 AM   #14
She's the One

Local Time: 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan
On the personal level..anything is acceptable...and I am no one to interfere...
How are you going to keep the personal out of the public?
Old 06-04-2007, 10:20 AM   #15
War Child

Local Time: 05:17 AM
To put it plainly and calmly, I really, really don't like it when someone says their religion is the only true one and everyone else is 'infidel' or 'going to burn in hell.' I don't believe the powers of the universe would persecute someone for honestly believing and living by something that disagrees with someone's 'right' or 'only way.' As long as no one uses religion as a reason to hurt someone else (like, say, human sacrifice?) they should all be respected.