"My god is true, your god is false"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
popsadie said:
Christianity is a balance between exclusion and inclusion. Christ did eat with sinners...but after meeting them he said "sin no more". These warnings are made only to those "inside" not to the ones "outside" of the church.

And you think they never sinned anymore after that?

deep said:

Are any of these people singled out?
and in reality,
- you, as a sinner are really no better than a practicing homosexual.

Any Christian believing such a thing would be wrong. We aren't to compare ourselves to each other, only to Christ. A comparison in which we all fall pitifully short.
To do otherwise risks feelings of either unworthiness or self-righteousness.

INDY500 said:

Any Christian believing such a thing would be wrong. We aren't to compare ourselves to each other, only to Christ. A comparison in which we all fall pitifully short.
To do otherwise risks feelings of either unworthiness or self-righteousness.

It still doesn't make you any different from any other "sinner", that what deep was saying.:huh:

I don't think so. In Matthew 7:21 it says that ......the decisive issue is whether they obey my Father in heaven....this tells me that although Jesus does bid all to come....those with true faith will do more and more of the will of God as they draw nearer in relationship with him.

Indy is right....we aren't to compare ourselves. However, the church, as a body does have a right to confront a member about their sin. No sin is good for the sinner or society. I do believe that if we truly loved each other, we would confront people we loved who were doing things that could harm themselves or others.

Popsadie...

Have you noticed that good could not exist without evil?

If everyone is behaving angel, what we need religion for? God would be useless, because everyone is just like him.

Leave the people who don't understand to do what they want. It's better to let the gay society know who these people are and what opinion they hold against them. So they could be aware of certain things, like some believers in some religions.

my two cents.

anitram said:
Anti-homosexuality is the only accepted bigotry which we are supposed to "discuss" and get to the bottom of and extend some special sort of understanding to.

I agree. Why is it we have to "understand" these bigots, cut them any slack whatsoever, and tolerate their willingness to legislate their own narrow-minded views into my government?

popsadie said:
Indy is right....we aren't to compare ourselves. However, the church, as a body does have a right to confront a member about their sin. No sin is good for the sinner or society. I do believe that if we truly loved each other, we would confront people we loved who were doing things that could harm themselves or others.

Of course. If you have a friend who's drinking too much you want to help them, if you have a friend who's listening to too much Rush you want to help them.

But I do see a lot of sinners looking down upon other sinners because they think their sins aren't as bad as their neigbor's sin.

popsadie said:
I don't agree with premarital sex. Any friends that I have that do it...in my mind practice premarital sex. I don't hate them for it, but I don't agree with the practice. I suppose that is my belief about homosexuality. Your perspective differs, and I am ok with that.

One more question, i don't know if anyone asked this before:

Your opinion on divorce?

I will not touch the topic on abortion, so don't worry.

popsadie said:
I don't think so. In Matthew 7:21 it says that ......the decisive issue is whether they obey my Father in heaven....this tells me that although Jesus does bid all to come....those with true faith will do more and more of the will of God as they draw nearer in relationship with him.

Basically that passage just means those who's actions speak louder than their words are true, and those who are just talk are just that...

This is not directed at any one person

but it is discussions like this one that validate my choice
to no longer consider myself a "religious" person

I was born and rasied that way

I was led to believe I was happy in my beliefs, but I admit I really never was happy.

For all the "answers" religion supposedly offers
They are to all the wrong questions.

The questions that really matter are ones like these:

How do we live today?

How do we treat people today?

What choice do I make now?

How can I contribute now?

Can I show more kindness today?

How can I better live in this world today?

Last edited:
deep said:
This is not directed at any one person

but it is discussions like this one that validate my choice
to no longer consider myself a "religious" person

I was born and rasied that way

I was led to believe I was happy in my beliefs, but I admit I really never was happy.

For all the "answers" religion supposedly offers
They are to all the wrong questions.

The questions that really matter are ones like these:

How do we live today?

How do we treat people today?

What choice to I make now?

How can I contribute now?

Can I show more kindness today?

How can I better live in this world today?

I agree with you deep.

Although we could not cut the past from us, but only the future that belongs to us matters.

As a non-believer, I'd prefer watch this discussion rather than participate in. But here I want to ask all your people a favor: If you really think religion should not be use to segregate and discriminate, please get your point across to other believers who are into the same religion but hold very different opinion, and help them look at the world through their own eyes, using the gift from God to make their own judgement.

Last edited:
I wasn't born and raised as a religious person. My parents are both agnostic and although I went to a church at the age of 9, the beliefs of my parents caused constant conflict. As I have read the bible I have come to believe in it more and more..... I do think that the ten commandments address your concerns deep. As far as divorce goes, unless it is because of sexual adultery, I do think it is a sin if it is practiced by those who identify themselves as Christians.

This may seem like a strange question

But, I ask it to all believers

but please consider it, turn it over in your head a couple of times, and then give me your answer

If you knew that at your physical death, there would be no after life, do you think you might make different choices now?

butter7 said:

One more question, i don't know if anyone asked this before:

Your opinion on divorce?

I will not touch the topic on abortion, so don't worry.

As a Christian I'd of course go to the Bible on this one, which says it's only a wise option if you're in an abusive relationship or there's infidelity. Then again, it's up to the person. I just watched a clip on cnn.com where Hilary Clinton said her faith got her through Bill's fling with the intern and led her to stay with him. I think that's incredibly honorable.

I don't know where you live, but the divorce rate here in the U.S. is too high. People get married without taking their vows seriously and then without giving it a serious attempt to work things out, i.e. counseling. It's sad and it's just creating more hurt in many cases.

popsadie said:
As far as divorce goes, unless it is because of sexual adultery, I do think it is a sin if it is practiced by those who identify themselves as Christians.

How you think if a woman married a "useless" husband? Should she stay and be a practical widow while she was probably still a virgin, technically?

Or the other way around?

In your opinion, what should they do?

popsadie said:
I wasn't born and raised as a religious person. My parents are both agnostic and although I went to a church at the age of 9, the beliefs of my parents caused constant conflict. As I have read the bible I have come to believe in it more and more..... I do think that the ten commandments address your concerns deep. As far as divorce goes, unless it is because of sexual adultery, I do think it is a sin if it is practiced by those who identify themselves as Christians.

ultimately, while i would challenge your beliefs for the sake of discussion, you don't seem to have any desire to impose them onto others through legislation. it's not for you to tell others how to live, nor is it for you to use government in order for you to see how you choose to live more fully reflected in the laws that govern the country.

and i respect that. such is pluralism.

deep said:
This may seem like a strange question

But, I ask it to all believers

but please consider it, turn it over in your head a couple of times, and then give me your answer

If you knew that at your physical death, there would be no after life, do you think you might make different choices now?

So we're assuming there's no God either?

No..... because I believe that the commandment make sense. Even if this life were all there was, I think that Jesus' interpretation of the ten commandments...explaining the intent behind them...has provided wisdom worth following. I think that forgiveness is better than revenge. I think that loving is better than hating. I think that thinking about other before oneself is the best way that this world should run.

coemgen said:

As a Christian I'd of course go to the Bible on this one, which says it's only a wise option if you're in an abusive relationship or there's infidelity. Then again, it's up to the person. I just watched a clip on cnn.com where Hilary Clinton said her faith got her through Bill's fling with the intern and led her to stay with him. I think that's incredibly honorable.

I don't know where you live, but the divorce rate here in the U.S. is too high. People get married without taking their vows seriously and then without giving it a serious attempt to work things out, i.e. counseling. It's sad and it's just creating more hurt in many cases.

To be honest coemgen, I had a different view on Hilary Clinton, but that might caused by my parent's marriage problem. And sadly, I was their consultant, and the job started when I was 17. My father had an 10 years long affair, and I could only say that the case finally closed few monthes ago, and I had brought my parents back together again.

But, would they be the same? The answer is no. They rather stay together, because the shared profit is far too high to lose. Especially for the woman.

Does Hilary still loves her husband? Only she could answer this question, hoestly, in a night that no body is around.

Last edited:
butter7 said:

To be honest coemgen, I had a different view on Hilary Clinton, but that might caused by my parent's marriage problem. And sadly, I was their consultant, and the job started when I was 17. My father had an 10 years long affair, and I could only say that the case finally closed few monthes ago, and I had brought my parents back together again.

Wow. So you kept them together? Are they doing OK now?
That says a lot about you to be able to help them work through that. :up:

Popsadie, can I ask you a favor? Can you use the quote button or somehow let us know who's statement you are answering? Thanks...

coemgen said:

Wow. So you kept them together? Are they doing OK now?
That says a lot about you to be able to help them work through that. :up:

While, honestly, I don't know. I couldn't feel it because I wasn't the parties that got hurt in the relationship. I think I just got luck that what the other woman really want is to use the money and power of my father. So...all I could say is carrot + stick strategy really works for all of them. :angel:

And you usually won't fight for a divorce when you own marriage lasted almost 30 years for someone that don't even give you the true name, right....:shrug:

Back
Top Bottom