"My god is true, your god is false" - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2007, 02:26 PM   #241
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:29 AM
what prevents me from embracing Chirstianity -- or, i should say, "the main thing" -- is the insistence upon a single path to God, that all other roads are false ones, and the other 5bn people on earth are sadly mistaken.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #242
Rock n' Roll Doggie

But, again, consider the sacrifice that Christianity tells us God made. If he went through all that trouble to save us from our sins and then let us chose another way to him, he wouldn't be a just God and the sacrifice was pointless.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:08 PM   #243
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
If he went through all that trouble to save us from our sins and then let us chose another way to him, he wouldn't be a just God and the sacrifice was pointless.
A woman is pregnant knowing she's giving up this kid for adoption, she gives birth and dies while in labor. The kid is raised is a loving home all his life not knowing of the sacrifice this woman made, does that make the sacrifice pointless?
Old 06-06-2007, 03:35 PM   #244
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

A woman is pregnant knowing she's giving up this kid for adoption, she gives birth and dies while in labor. The kid is raised is a loving home all his life not knowing of the sacrifice this woman made, does that make the sacrifice pointless?
That's not a fair comparison though. If you're trying to talk about people who've never heard about Christ, I see where you're going. But those who've heard of Christ have to respond to the sacrifice. Just because he made it doesn't mean everyone's covered. You have to accept it.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:03 PM   #245
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

That's not a fair comparison though. If you're trying to talk about people who've never heard about Christ, I see where you're going. But those who've heard of Christ have to respond to the sacrifice. Just because he made it doesn't mean everyone's covered. You have to accept it.
Why do you have to "accept" it for it to be valid?

Old 06-06-2007, 04:40 PM   #246
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
But, again, consider the sacrifice that Christianity tells us God made. If he went through all that trouble to save us from our sins and then let us chose another way to him, he wouldn't be a just God and the sacrifice was pointless.

it's obviously not pointless to you.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #247
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4

because so many Christians seem to need the validation?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #248
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

you're really making it out to be an insurance policy, the Geico of religions.

my Hindu friends are most assuredly not going to hell, or whatever, when they die. they've well heard of Christ, they're first generation Indian-Americans, and they're simply not interested. their parents' religion makes sense to them, it speaks to them, they've had experiences with their religion i would imagine are well on par with that of any Christian, and their religion is no more, or less, "true" than yours is.

and it's the inability to understand that -- the insistence upon exclucivity -- that really, really turns me off.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:58 PM   #249
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4

Well, God gave us free will. He holds true to that "law." We have the choice to accept him as our Lord and Savior, or we can say "No, I want to do it my way." He's not going to force us into something we don't want.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:59 PM   #250
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

it's obviously not pointless to you.
You're right. But I was speaking in general terms. If he lets us choose another way, then why did he die for us if we could just choose another way?
Old 06-06-2007, 05:06 PM   #251
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

you're really making it out to be an insurance policy, the Geico of religions.

my Hindu friends are most assuredly not going to hell, or whatever, when they die. they've well heard of Christ, they're first generation Indian-Americans, and they're simply not interested. their parents' religion makes sense to them, it speaks to them, they've had experiences with their religion i would imagine are well on par with that of any Christian, and their religion is no more, or less, "true" than yours is.

and it's the inability to understand that -- the insistence upon exclucivity -- that really, really turns me off.
That's fine, but it's not Christians you need to take it up with, it's Christ. And most religions have some form of exclucivity anyway.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:07 PM   #252
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Nothing has turned me away from Christianity more than Christians. Not from God, but from Christianity, as it is practiced. When I stepped away, and kept my faith, but not my religion, I started to feel free. I think my life has been better, I think I've been happier and incidentally, I think I've been a better person. Sort of in the way that deep was talking about before. I don't miss the confines of religion, and I most definitely don't miss dealing with the followers.

I don't think that evangelical Christians understand how much harm they are causing their religion with their brand of ministry or whatever they call it. I never really had this problem with liberal Protestants or Catholics - they never cared to preach and most of them lived very secular lives.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:22 PM   #253
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

That's fine, but it's not Christians you need to take it up with, it's Christ. And most religions have some form of exclucivity anyway.

that's a total cop out.

you cannot refer to the bible as the literal word of Jesus. it's intellectually bogus to do so.

what does your intellect tell you?
Old 06-06-2007, 06:30 PM   #254
She's the One

Local Time: 09:29 PM
Quote:
That's fine, but it's not Christians you need to take it up with, it's Christ.

How can you dare to assume to know about what Christ meant, said, felt, or intended?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:08 PM   #255
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:29 PM
coemgen

How seriously do you take the 9th Commandment?