Mr. George W. Bush may go on to become one of our greatest Presidents of all time - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2002, 02:08 AM   #91
War Child

Local Time: 02:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
I'm afraid that the average American doesn't know enough about the politics of other countries to even bash them. This may not apply to you, or to many people in this forum, but as an American who has traveled a lot in other countries, I am always shocked by how much everyone knows about us and how little I and most Americans I know know about them...

Anyway, I think Anthony has made himself perfectly clear and I don't understand why you are offended by his criticisms. We as Americans need to listen to just these kinds of criticisms in order to understand the deeper issues behind 9/11. It has been evident in my travels for years that much of the world has issues and resentments towards the US and I want to hear about it because I'm not going to understand why just by listening to our leaders. I don't want to slam the door and tell people to fuck off and stop bashing my country. I want to know.

THAT is the right attitude.
Might be the first time I've seen it here.

Old 02-14-2002, 02:15 AM   #92
War Child

Oh, and that argument going through this thread earlier about the US, its allies etc. If the US decides to go after Iraq again, watch what happens...

Old 02-14-2002, 03:55 AM   #93
Refugee

the HORROR, I really don't understand how this got out of hand, I imagine I'm partially to blame for not 'phrasing' things properly, but I am the first to admit I am not the most diplomatic of writers, and I apologise for that.

Having said that, I do think you are misunderstanding what I'm saying. I never said your country was rubbish, I never insulted it and I never made an Anti-American comment, that I guarantee because I do not consider myself anti-American, I never have been anti-ANYONE. I have criticisms and I have praises, and I DO have praises for America, perhaps even more than criticisms, however, that if for another thread.

I don't care if you bash my country, which you haven't with your 'gossip criticism', I accept it because its true - we have a disgusting obsession with gossip, amongst other things. You see, I can only take as much as I give, and that works both ways.

I agree with absolutely everything FizzingWhizzbees has said, and no one, I don't think, hates the Monarchy as much as I do, however, the LOOOOOONG list I have concerning what is wrong with my country is too long and for another thread forum anyway. SHould the day ever come that someone 'bashes' the UK, I will be the first to admit the criticisms and also provide the 'upsides' of it.

Again, I am sorry you found my comments offensive and anti-American. And again, I know I have missed the point of the thread, all I'm trying to do is just make peace with you; I DON'T have any beef with you at all. True alliance isn't a politician's handshake, its the acceptance and respect of our ideas, I think.

Ant.
Old 02-14-2002, 04:54 AM   #94
Refugee

Local Time: 03:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonite:
And so Melon, I'd assume that you'd be against the jokes on Bush because it was a situation where her almost died.. Not a Laughing matter.. Right?
Actually, there wasn't a lot of laughing going on here at all. http://forum.interference.com/u2feed...ML/001007.html
Old 02-14-2002, 08:04 AM   #95
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Quote:
Originally posted by Klodomir:
Quote:
And so Melon, I'd assume that you'd be against the jokes on Bush because it was a situation where her almost died.. Not a Laughing matter.. Right?
Actually, there wasn't a lot of laughing going on here at all. http://forum.interference.com/u2feed...ML/001007.html

But there were some cracks.. I'm sure you read it before you pasted the link.. I'm not going to cut and paste again, because it didn't sit well with someone last time I did it..

L.Unplugged

Old 02-14-2002, 08:53 AM   #96
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony:

Again, I am sorry you found my comments offensive and anti-American. And again, I know I have missed the point of the thread, all I'm trying to do is just make peace with you; I DON'T have any beef with you at all. True alliance isn't a politician's handshake, its the acceptance and respect of our ideas, I think.

Ant.
Thanks Anthony for your thoughts, and don't sweat it man, I was out of line as well. We seem to operate differently, but as many others have said before, it's hard to see the intention of a post if you can't see the facial expression of the one posting.

CHEERS

------------------

"The only fitting memorial for those lives that were lost is the idea that the world is forever changed by this moment in time, that it is a better more inclusive place, & that we cut off the OXYGEN SUPPLY to these CRAZY FANATICS!" ~Bono 11/05/01

"So Mr. Bin Laden, I hear you have an intrest in our airplanes...Let me show you this one, we like to call it the B-52
Old 02-14-2002, 09:35 AM   #97
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:19 PM
Quote:
But there were some cracks.. I'm sure you read it before you pasted the link.. I'm not going to cut and paste again, because it didn't sit well with someone last time I did it..
Typical Republican. Always demanding a monopoly on opinion and then accusing liberals of the same thing.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time
Old 02-14-2002, 09:58 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally posted by melon:
Typical Republican. Always demanding a monopoly on opinion and then accusing liberals of the same thing.

Melon

Hahah.. No one is 'demanding' (Spoken in a Hank Hill Tone)... anything.. And I thought that you had vowed to stay away from partisanship?...

Then again.. Would it matter?

L.Unplugged
Old 02-14-2002, 10:11 AM   #99
Banned

Location: my lovenest / in bed with Larry, Bono, Larry, :heart: Adam, Larry, Edge, *swoon* kisses and THUD !!!
Quote:
Originally posted by melon:
Typical liberal. Always demanding a monopoly on opinion and then accusing Republicans of the same thing.

Melon

------------------
Old 02-14-2002, 10:54 AM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TylerDurden:

THAT is the right attitude.
Might be the first time I've seen it here.
It helps that my officemate is Australian--she keeps me in line.
Old 02-18-2002, 08:24 PM   #101
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 08:19 PM
I heard this today and found it relevant to this thread, and today being President's Day here in the US as well.

Apparently ABC does a poll each year of our favorite presidents, while I don't know the entire list, I will tell you the top three:

1. Abraham Lincoln
2. George W. Bush (tie)
John F. Kennedy
3. William J. Clinton (tie)
Ronald Reagan
????

I find it funny that Reagan could be tied with Clinton, and Bush with JFK. Last year, I think Reagan came in 2nd. You can see that they don't necessarily poll from one demographic.
Old 02-18-2002, 10:32 PM   #102
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LOVE MUSCLE:

If you are going to troll threads now, the least you could do would be to reveal to everyone who you are.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time
Old 02-19-2002, 10:59 PM   #103
Refugee

Local Time: 03:19 AM
This is great fun!

I really only have two points to make here. George W Bush may very well be one of the greatest American presidents of all time, but that will only be in America. Which is fair enough when you think about it. But outside of America, he is though of as a dangerous, out-of-touch, ignorant (Pakis?!! Please!), insular, gung-ho buffoon - a puppet of the oil trade. Much like his dad, in fact.

And if George W Bush is really that bothered about a war on terrorism rather than a war on countries that would result in little or no economic backlash (Salome has it right), then why did he get Tony Blair to go round all the countries over the past few months, rather than stay at home. Okay, America needed him in the months after September 11, but couldn't he have made at least a bit more effort to get out and about?

All that has happened is that America has closed ranks and turned in on itself. Whoever mentioned the lack of allies is right... one by one, they are all falling away. Even here in Britain there is a large backlash building about our involvement... should the US attack Iran or Iraq or Somalia soon, I doubt we'd back it... or at least our people would.

This isn't an anti-anyone rant. This is just a statement of fact.
Old 02-20-2002, 01:36 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally posted by z edge:

1. Abraham Lincoln
2. George W. Bush (tie)
John F. Kennedy
Ronald Reagan
????
Yah.. Apparently in this poll among Blacks.. Abraham Lincoln.. The president responsible for 'FREEING the SLAVES', finished Second to.. Bill Clinton.. Hahahaha.. I practically laughed my ass off when I heard this.. and You know why?.. In the words of Tony Morrison, Bill Clinton was in all senses of teh word a 'Black President', because he 'Cheated, Lied, and was Running from the Law'.. Just like Black men.. Or so she says.. Hahahahaa.. poor saps.. I think we need to send our prayers out to them Diamond.. Maybe include them in our latest Rosary.

L.Unplugged

Old 02-20-2002, 02:34 PM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by z edge:
I heard this today and found it relevant to this thread, and today being President's Day here in the US as well.

Apparently ABC does a poll each year of our favorite presidents, while I don't know the entire list, I will tell you the top three:

1. Abraham Lincoln
2. George W. Bush (tie)
John F. Kennedy
Ronald Reagan
????
These are probably just the only Presidents the average American can name.