Mr. George W. Bush may go on to become one of our greatest Presidents of all time - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2002, 11:35 AM   #76
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Local Time: 07:02 PM
HORROR... Well said, a statement any Proud American should agree with.

L.Unplugged

Old 02-13-2002, 11:57 AM   #77
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by the HORROR:

How would you feel if all of us started crapping on the UK, for instance. It just never seems to happen that way though, most of us americans in here don't even go there.

GROW UP

Go ahead! In fact, I'll get us started: I think the government's ideas for reform of the system for asylum seekers are appalling. The UK spends more on military spending than any other country in Europe - I think that's wrong. The UK has played a completely disgusting role in Ireland in many, many ways. The UK doesn't comply with the UN suggestion that rich countries spend 0.7% of their GDP on foreign aid. I can't believe a 'civilised' country still allows fox hunting. I thought the anti-terrorism, crime and security bill was a disgraceful, repressive piece of legislation. Don't even get me started on Britain's colonial past.

I live in the UK, have lived here most of my life, I am grateful for many things about the country. But none of that should stop me from being critical when I see something wrong.

Oh, and I can't stand the monarchy.

Old 02-13-2002, 12:54 PM   #78
you are what you is

Local Time: 08:02 PM
Quote:
The problem is with virtually everybody holding out their hand wanting help, we have to decide who to help because we can't help everyone.
so most of the time you choose to help those countries who might be able to offer you something in return

that is not a bad thing
we all do it
I don't think Holland gets involved in many things that offers us nothing in return
that's not a good thing, but it's just the way it is right now

I probably could pretend we are only trying to help
but who would I try to be kidding?

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it
Old 02-13-2002, 01:03 PM   #79
Banned

Salome I agree with you pretty much, the point is that help is help no matter how you slice it.

Time and time again the US helps people at our OWN expense to include lives of our citizens, which no $$$$$ can obviously replace. And as you pointed out, we are not the only ones that do so.

For instance, the war on terror should benefit everyone, except the terrorist.

------------------

"The only fitting memorial for those lives that were lost is the idea that the world is forever changed by this moment in time, that it is a better more inclusive place, & that we cut off the OXYGEN SUPPLY to these CRAZY FANATICS!" ~Bono 11/05/01

"So Mr. Bin Laden, I hear you have an intrest in our airplanes...Let me show you this one, we like to call it the B-52
Old 02-13-2002, 02:45 PM   #80
you are what you is

Local Time: 08:02 PM
yes, but it isn't a war on terror in general
it's a war on terror in countries that you can allow yourself to fight against without having to fear any economic backlash

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it
Old 02-13-2002, 04:06 PM   #81
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony:
and no one, I don't think, hates the Monarchy as much as I do
I reckon I could give you a run for your money there...

There was a news item about five minutes long about the monarchy on the news tonight. The Queen Mother fell over. She cut her arm and a doctor had to bandage it. Somehow this demands that a reporter be immediately dispatched to wherever-it-is-that-she's-staying-now and a doctor gives a lengthy report on the likely consequences of a small surface wound on the arm (ie there aren't any).
Old 02-13-2002, 04:45 PM   #82
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees:

There was a news item about five minutes long about the monarchy on the news tonight. The Queen Mother fell over. She cut her arm and a doctor had to bandage it. Somehow this demands that a reporter be immediately dispatched to wherever-it-is-that-she's-staying-now and a doctor gives a lengthy report on the likely consequences of a small surface wound on the arm (ie there aren't any).
It is truly monstruous how our soceity is obsessed with the Monarchy, thats why you get such a scene as just mentioned by yourself. The worst thing is, a lot of people DO WANT a Monarchy, isn't that horrendous?

If I was in power I'd get rid of them without a second thought. Hate 'em.

Ant.
Old 02-13-2002, 04:49 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:02 PM
I agree with y'all about the whole monarchy thing; and not just the U.K.
Old 02-13-2002, 04:50 PM   #84

Quote:
This mirrors the same Ri-Cock-U-LousNess OF the Media Hype over BUsh's PRetzel incident..

NOTICE.. NO ONE JOKED.. No One Made a Big Deal... No Jokes Abounded.. When Janet Reno Fell at the Podium in a Speech Recently.

L.Unplugged
Old 02-13-2002, 04:53 PM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:02 PM
Because she's a Democrat, and they don't want to hurt her chances of winning Governor of Florida.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:20 PM   #86
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonite:
This mirrors the same Ri-Cock-U-LousNess OF the Media Hype over BUsh's PRetzel incident..

NOTICE.. NO ONE JOKED.. No One Made a Big Deal... No Jokes Abounded.. When Janet Reno Fell at the Podium in a Speech Recently.

L.Unplugged
Nobody was joking about the Queen Mother either! They approached the entire incident with a level of seriousness usually associated with a murder or theft of millions of dollars.

I'm still finding it hilarious that Laura Bush went on TV to demonstrate that Dubya didn't choke on a "sissy pretzel" - she even had props!

Apparently he's now "practising safe snacks."
Old 02-13-2002, 05:37 PM   #87
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonite:
In case you didn't know, she was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease in the middle of Clinton's term. Call it the "liberal media," but they don't generally make fun of the sick.

Don't worry. When they finally diagnose President Bush's learning disability, I'll stop making fun of him too...maybe. I'm not as politically correct as the media.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time
Old 02-13-2002, 06:54 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally posted by melon:
In case you didn't know, she was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease in the middle of Clinton's term. Call it the "liberal media," but they don't generally make fun of the sick.

Don't worry. When they finally diagnose President Bush's learning disability, I'll stop making fun of him too...maybe. I'm not as politically correct as the media.

Melon

Yes, I was glad to see how well the Prez and his wife are handling it all..

However, I do know about Reno's sickness.. but she attributed her fall to 'Being too Hot'.. I promise you that the last thing she wants is it announced even that her fall was due to her sickness.. And it isn't really even the joking about it.. It's the incessant Story after story after things like Cheney's Heart.. and How He can't even go to the Bathroom without having to be Electrocuted back into a regular heartbeat.. And so Melon, I'd assume that you'd be against the jokes on Bush because it was a situation where her almost died.. Not a Laughing matter.. Right?

Haha.. A Full Fledged Liberal eh?.. and Not being politically correct?.. Hrmm..

L. Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 02-13-2002).]
Old 02-13-2002, 09:01 PM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:02 PM
Quote:

Excuse me for almost falling out of my chair laughing at "the Queen Mother fell over." Very rude of me but it hit a funny bone.

Old 02-13-2002, 09:14 PM   #90
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:02 PM
Quote:

I fail to see why you must go out of your way to continually bash americans, or at least conservative americans. How would you feel if all of us started crapping on the UK, for instance. It just never seems to happen that way though, most of us americans in here don't even go there.

GROW UP

I'm afraid that the average American doesn't know enough about the politics of other countries to even bash them. This may not apply to you, or to many people in this forum, but as an American who has traveled a lot in other countries, I am always shocked by how much everyone knows about us and how little I and most Americans I know know about them...

Anyway, I think Anthony has made himself perfectly clear and I don't understand why you are offended by his criticisms. We as Americans need to listen to just these kinds of criticisms in order to understand the deeper issues behind 9/11. It has been evident in my travels for years that much of the world has issues and resentments towards the US and I want to hear about it because I'm not going to understand why just by listening to our leaders. I don't want to slam the door and tell people to fuck off and stop bashing my country. I want to know.