Montenegro Weighs Independence - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-22-2006, 02:35 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 02:04 PM
I guess I should add, that independence for Montenegro makes Serbia a new country as well.

Now that Serbia is landlocked country, I guess this means Montenegro inherits the entire Navy.
__________________

__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 05-22-2006, 02:37 PM   #32
Refugee
 
4U2Play's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,791
Local Time: 07:04 AM
No doubt, the balkanization of the Balkans will continue.

I thought the 20th Century ended on September 11th, but it looks like some parts of the world are still living through it.
__________________

__________________
4U2Play is offline  
Old 05-22-2006, 02:39 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 4U2Play
No doubt, the balkanization of the Balkans will continue.

I thought the 20th Century ended on September 11th, but it looks like some parts of the world are still living through it.
But this recent change happened without any bloodshed, which is different from what often happened in the 20th century.
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 05-22-2006, 02:42 PM   #34
Acrobat
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: belgrade
Posts: 369
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Yes, Serbia is new state.I'll have to change my personal documents once again.
__________________
roy keane is offline  
Old 05-22-2006, 02:45 PM   #35
Refugee
 
4U2Play's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,791
Local Time: 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
But this recent change happened without any bloodshed, which is different from what often happened in the 20th century.

Excellent point, let us all thank providence for that!
__________________
4U2Play is offline  
Old 05-22-2006, 02:49 PM   #36
Acrobat
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: belgrade
Posts: 369
Local Time: 03:04 PM
STING, once Albanians get part of the territory in Macedonia,they will have borders with Greece.
__________________
roy keane is offline  
Old 05-22-2006, 02:57 PM   #37
Refugee
 
4U2Play's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,791
Local Time: 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by roy keane
STING, once Albanians get part of the territory in Macedonia,they will have borders with Greece.

Roy Keane,

Will the Greeks then feel surrounded by their "Muslim enemies"?

If so, what do you think Greece will do to prevent such a condition from arising?
__________________
4U2Play is offline  
Old 05-22-2006, 03:26 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by roy keane
STING, once Albanians get part of the territory in Macedonia,they will have borders with Greece.
Albanians in Kosovo will be lucky if they get an independent state. They are unlikely to be getting any part of Macedonia and NATO will see that they don't. Albanians in Kosovo would have to agree to the borders of Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia prior to getting any sort of independence.
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 05-22-2006, 03:40 PM   #39
Acrobat
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: belgrade
Posts: 369
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Greece is in NATO and therefore they are in much stronger position then other countries.In my oppinion, Albanians will get Kosovo for sure,part of Macedonia very likely,but with Greece it will be to hard for them,although they will try.At the moment Greeks are more concerned not to let Macedonia to be called Macedonia but Former yougoslav republic Macedonia, because they are historicaly strongly conected with that name(and part of northern Greece is called Macedonia). Sounds a bit confusing,but that's how it is.
But no matter what happens, I hope there will be no more wars in any part of Balcan.
__________________
roy keane is offline  
Old 05-22-2006, 04:00 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by roy keane
Greece is in NATO and therefore they are in much stronger position then other countries.In my oppinion, Albanians will get Kosovo for sure,part of Macedonia very likely,but with Greece it will be to hard for them,although they will try.At the moment Greeks are more concerned not to let Macedonia to be called Macedonia but Former yougoslav republic Macedonia, because they are historicaly strongly conected with that name(and part of northern Greece is called Macedonia). Sounds a bit confusing,but that's how it is.
But no matter what happens, I hope there will be no more wars in any part of Balcan.
I recognize Albanians in Macedonia are not happy with their situation there and feel discriminated against. But even they claim they have no desire to secede from Macedonia. The Albanians are to weak from a military standpoint to enforce any sort of a land grab on their own. NATO deployed troops to Macedonia back in 1992 when Bush Sr. was President. NATO has no desire to see Macedonia break up and generally would prefer that Kosovo remain apart of Serbia. Albanians are only 23% of Macedonia, but they are 91% of Kosovo. Nearly half of Macedonia would have to secede for Kosovo to have a border with Greece.

I think the disputes will be resolved peacefully, and the only new division I can see would be an independent Kosovo, and even that might not happen.
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 05-22-2006, 04:45 PM   #41
Acrobat
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: belgrade
Posts: 369
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2


I recognize Albanians in Macedonia are not happy with their situation there and feel discriminated against. But even they claim they have no desire to secede from Macedonia. The Albanians are to weak from a military standpoint to enforce any sort of a land grab on their own. NATO deployed troops to Macedonia back in 1992 when Bush Sr. was President. NATO has no desire to see Macedonia break up and generally would prefer that Kosovo remain apart of Serbia. Albanians are only 23% of Macedonia, but they are 91% of Kosovo. Nearly half of Macedonia would have to secede for Kosovo to have a border with Greece.

I think the disputes will be resolved peacefully, and the only new division I can see would be an independent Kosovo, and even that might not happen.
I think you are wrong about certain things.First, Albanians in Macedonia have(had) liberation army(which is belived to be disarmed now) and whos ambition was about 40 % of territory.Remember a short civil war in Macedonia cople of years ago that could have grown into something much bigger.And i would tell you that you are wrong about 23% of Albanian population in Macedonia but i often visit peeling off those dollar bils forum and i know you are king for numbers
__________________
roy keane is offline  
Old 05-22-2006, 05:27 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by roy keane


I think you are wrong about certain things.First, Albanians in Macedonia have(had) liberation army(which is belived to be disarmed now) and whos ambition was about 40 % of territory.Remember a short civil war in Macedonia cople of years ago that could have grown into something much bigger.And i would tell you that you are wrong about 23% of Albanian population in Macedonia but i often visit peeling off those dollar bils forum and i know you are king for numbers
The Albanians in Macedonia claim the liberation army is about securing their rights within the state of Macedonia, not about secession. Perhaps that is not entirely true, but that is what they have claimed. They claim they are 40% of the population, but I think most objective demographic analysis of Macedonia shows that they are only 23%. In any event, the Albanians want their language to be an official language as well. They feel discriminated when it comes to finding jobs and getting an education. General economic improvement in the coming years and decades will probably help to wipe these sources of tension away, just as it has done in Northern Ireland.

This is indeed an interesting question, and also points out why there are many in NATO who are totally against Kosovo gaining independence because they fear it would create a new or resurgent movement in bording area's to join Kosovo or Albania in a new union.
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 05-23-2006, 06:57 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
hiphop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the jungle
Posts: 7,410
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Yippei! a new state!

The Montenegrians decided for it.

Lets hope they have a good start.
__________________
hiphop is offline  
Old 05-23-2006, 10:46 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict
 
the rockin edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: tomorrow's just an excuse away
Posts: 26,816
Local Time: 08:04 AM
yes, good luck to them.



more importantly, how will this affect the performance of the Serbia & Montenegro team at this summers World Cup?

__________________

__________________
the rockin edge is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com