MERGED (yet again): All Gay Marriage Discussion Here Please - Page 44 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2004, 06:17 PM   #646
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:46 AM
The ruling had nothing to do with sticking it to someone. The ruling was based on the fact that the mayor had no legal authority to grant such marriage licenses.

Old 08-12-2004, 06:22 PM   #647
Refugee

Local Time: 02:46 AM
Pax may have been referring to the "Christian legal organization" mentioned in the article that pursued the lawsuit. I doubt that their motives were strictly about the city's legal authority.

Old 08-12-2004, 07:47 PM   #648
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:46 AM
Well, yes, Dread, you're right. It just pisses me off when I think of how heartbroken those couples and their friends and families must be. I hope some other legal avenue opens up to them as soon as possible, obviously on a state level.

Man, do I ever need the FYM chill pill today, huh?

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:27 PM   #649
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy
Thank goodness. I'd noticed society starting to crumble in the last six months.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:24 PM   #650
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:46 AM
Yeah, the mayor did something illegal, but hey, then again, so did black people in the 50s and 60s, right? Not saying we should all go around breaking every law that exists, but if the law's one that promotes discrimination, well...

Bah. This sucks. Those poor couples.

Angela
Old 08-15-2004, 06:57 AM   #651
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
The good news is they did not rule on gay marriage. They ruled on the fact that a city or town does not have the right to circumvent the state legislature.

While I am saddened by the decision, and upset because I had hopes for relatives of mine to be married, I agree with the courts decision and feel it is an example of the system going right.

The ruling does not stop the chance that gay marriage may happen.
This makes sense to me. I hope the state of California rules for gay marriage soon.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:51 PM   #652
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:46 AM
Damn, that's unfortunate. The damn State of California just told a bunch of married people that they were no longer married.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:39 AM   #653
Blue Crack Addict

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar..._marriage_ban/

"Cheney's remark was the first time the vice president has taken note of his daughter's sexual orientation in public, officials said . "

I think that's sad, but it is positive that he finally spoke out, even thought the way he did it is pretty carefully worded
Old 08-25-2004, 10:32 AM   #654
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

http://www.dearmary.com/
Old 08-25-2004, 10:32 AM   #655
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I mentioned to my friend I don't know how Mary can help fundraise for her father and Bush when the administration clearly does not support, actually slanders, her lifestyle.

My friend pointed me out to this:
http://www.dearmary.com/
Old 08-25-2004, 10:50 AM   #656
you are what you is

Local Time: 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
While I am saddened by the decision, and upset because I had hopes for relatives of mine to be married, I agree with the courts decision and feel it is an example of the system going right.

The ruling does not stop the chance that gay marriage may happen.
it doesn't prevent anything indeed, but it is a disheartening decision anyway

I only have experience with court decisions re. tax issues etc
but (at least over here) courts don't seem to have too many problems to taking into account that following one law is in contradiction with another law (discrimination against gay people)

I don't think the same intent for flexibility and justice was shown here

re. Mary Cheney
I don't expect her to not support Bush/Cheney in public
but to even help in fundraisers makes me
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 11-29-2004, 07:36 AM   #657
Blue Crack Addict

I probably shouldn't even bring this topic back up again

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Supreme Court on Monday sidestepped a dispute over same-sex marriages, rejecting a challenge to the nation's only law sanctioning such unions.

Justices had been asked by conservative groups to overturn the year-old decision by the Massachusetts Supreme Court legalizing same-sex marriage. They declined, without comment.

In the past year, at least 3,000 gay Massachusetts couples have wed, although voters may have a chance next year to change the state constitution to permit civil union benefits to same-sex couples, but not the institution of marriage.

Critics of the November 2003 ruling by the highest court in Massachusetts argue that it violated the U.S. Constitution's guarantee of a republican form of government in each state. They lost at the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Boston.

Their attorney, Mathew Staver, said in a Supreme Court filing that the Constitution should "protect the citizens of Massachusetts from their own state supreme court's usurpation of power."

Federal courts, he said, should defend people's right "to live in a republican form of government free from tyranny, whether that comes at the barrel of a gun or by the decree of a court."

Merita Hopkins, a city attorney in Boston, had told justices in court papers that the people who filed the suit have not shown they suffered an injury and could not bring a challenge to the Supreme Court. "Deeply felt interest in the outcome of a case does not constitute an actual injury," she said.

Massachusetts Attorney General Tom Reilly told justices that voters can overrule the Supreme Court by adopting a constitutional amendment.

The lawsuit was filed by the Florida-based Liberty Counsel on behalf of Robert Largess, the vice president of the Catholic Action League, and 11 state lawmakers.

State legislators will decide whether to put the issue before Massachusetts voters in November 2006. Voters in 11 states approved constitutional amendments banning gay marriage in November elections. President Bush has promised to make a federal anti-gay marriage amendment a priority of his second term.

The Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court narrowly ruled that gays and lesbians had a right under the state constitution to wed.

The nation's high court had stayed out of the Massachusetts fight on a previous occasion. Last May, justices refused to intervene and block clerks from issuing the first marriage licenses.

The case is Largess v. Supreme Judicial Court of the State of Massachusetts, case no. 04-420.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:14 AM   #658
The Fly

Oh, yes, U should, Mrs.Springsteen -- and U did!

Let's give a big hand to "THE SUPREMES" who have their latest
pop hit!
Old 11-30-2004, 09:32 AM   #659
Blue Crack Supplier

with this issue, and medicinal marijuana in front of the Supreme Court, and all this red/blue divide, i have only one word:

federalism.

there's a vast cultural chasm between the good people of Mississippi and the good people of California. why force them to live as if they were the same?
Old 11-30-2004, 09:37 AM   #660
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

As far as the medical marijuana debate... I just hope the legal marijuana users are nowhere near operating a moving vehicle. We have a bad enough problem with drunk driving, and we also have a bad enough problem with people using vicoden legally when they have no need for it, just an addiction.