MERGED==> The politics of Katrina + Trent Lott + Michael Moore - Page 27 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2005, 05:55 PM   #391
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:24 PM
HA! I was just about to post that, I saw it on snopes.com...absolutely hilarious.

Old 09-11-2005, 06:58 PM   #392
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:24 PM
Oh my God, I finally get why that Bush screencap is so funny.

Old 09-12-2005, 09:12 AM   #393
Blue Crack Addict

pathetic

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/politic...hisplead_2.htm

Some senior Democratic strategists are starting to sound like bitter Republicans when it comes to grumbling about President Bush 's teaming of his dad with Bill Clinton to raise Katrina aid. Republicans whined first when the tag team was formed after the tsunami. Their worry: Bush's move was helping to rehabilitate Clinton's image among his critics. Now Democrats believe Clinton's help on Katrina is a de facto endorsement of Bush's handling of the crisis. "It's killing us," said a consultant.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:07 PM   #394
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
Got this from a friend today...

To All My Fellow Americans Who Voted for George W. Bush:

I have an idea, and it isn't a horse show.

Yours,
Michael Moore

This is finally a good letter from Michael Moore again. Some others were real liberal whining, I didn´t like some of his actions after his - absolutely brilliant - first flic Columbine high school massacre.

However this letter is well done. It asks the right questions.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:12 PM   #395
Blue Crack Addict

The federal response to Katrina was not as portrayed

Quote:
It is settled wisdom among journalists that the federal response to the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina was unconscionably slow.

"Mr. Bush's performance last week will rank as one of the worst ever during a dire national emergency," wrote New York Times columnist Bob Herbert in a somewhat more strident expression of the conventional wisdom.

But the conventional wisdom is the opposite of the truth.

Jason van Steenwyk is a Florida Army National Guardsman who has been mobilized six times for hurricane relief. He notes that:

"The federal government pretty much met its standard time lines, but the volume of support provided during the 72-96 hour was unprecedented. The federal response here was faster than Hugo, faster than Andrew, faster than Iniki, faster than Francine and Jeanne."
Old 09-12-2005, 12:56 PM   #396
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
pathetic

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/politic...hisplead_2.htm

Some senior Democratic strategists are starting to sound like bitter Republicans when it comes to grumbling about President Bush 's teaming of his dad with Bill Clinton to raise Katrina aid. Republicans whined first when the tag team was formed after the tsunami. Their worry: Bush's move was helping to rehabilitate Clinton's image among his critics. Now Democrats believe Clinton's help on Katrina is a de facto endorsement of Bush's handling of the crisis. "It's killing us," said a consultant.
That is lame. Let them work together. The people getting help is much more important right now than whether or not parties *gasp* mix, let alone why they're mixing!

Angela
Old 09-12-2005, 01:11 PM   #397
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
The federal response to Katrina was not as portrayed

Quote:
The levee broke Tuesday morning. Buses had to be rounded up and driven from Houston to New Orleans across debris-strewn roads. The first ones arrived Wednesday evening. That seems pretty fast to me.
Of course he wasn't in the Superdome, but it seemed fast to him .

And saying the aid was faster than it was for Hugo and Andrew isn't saying much. Those respones we so successful, weren't they.

Never heard of Iniki or Francine.

And we went through Jeanne. Lost power and a few trees went down, big deal.

And about the buses. Who's going to drive them? Bus driver's are county employees, this would have to be planned ahead of time. Yes, the mayor could have asked ahead of time, but he would have to have the cooperation of other branches of goverment. But then, where are they going to go? If they went to the Superdome, we'd still have the same problems. If not there, then the govenor has to find a place ahead of time. Was their fuel for the buses? What if they decided to use fuel for other emergency vehicles?
Old 09-12-2005, 01:43 PM   #398
War Child

That was an interesting article, with some, if little merit- especially since it can't even get its own facts straight while shilling for Bush.

Reminder: The levees began to break MONDAY morning; a full 48 hours before Bush decided to call off his vacation.

Meanwhile, today Bush directly lied to the public again, repeating the same crap that Chertoff, Brown, and even General Myers continue to try to pull on the public, that somehow no one "expected" the storm to be so bad, how that all the "newspapers" say NO had "dodged" a bullet on that Tuesday morning...
Old 09-12-2005, 02:17 PM   #399
Blue Crack Addict

I didn't know where to post this but apparently Sean Penn was pictured in the NY Post going around on his mission in NO while carrying a shotgun

Old 09-12-2005, 02:20 PM   #400
Blue Crack Addict

http://www.kron4.com/Global/story.asp?S=3830037

"Bush administration officials have said Katrina's damage could not have been anticipated, but Gore rejected that.

"What happened was not only knowable, it was known in advance, in great and painstaking detail. They did tabletop planning exercises. They identified exactly what the scientific evidence showed would take place," Gore said."
Old 09-12-2005, 02:59 PM   #401
Blue Crack Addict

what Bush said today

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/12/kat...act/index.html
Old 09-12-2005, 05:24 PM   #402
Blue Crack Addict

Media Manipulation

From Michael Kinsley's editorial yesterday:

Quote:
A Los Angeles Times colleague of mine, appearing on CNN last week to talk about Katrina, was told by a producer to "get angry."
Link
Old 09-12-2005, 10:19 PM   #403
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine
I wasn't sure where to put this. It is very disturbing to me.
I'm not sure what type of website this is, but the author is a Christian woman from Oklahoma, not a hotbed of liberalism.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/fema.html

I just got back from a FEMA Detainment Camp

Scarletwine, although for once I'll say I agree with your frustration in this case, I think this one comes down to good old fashioned bureaucracy. Also, I can imagine sparks would fly if the Southern Baptist Association of a state like Oklahoma were given direct access to the evacuees and allowed to give them a ride to church services.

~U2Alabama
Old 09-12-2005, 10:23 PM   #404
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I didn't know where to post this but apparently Sean Penn was pictured in the NY Post going around on his mission in NO while carrying a shotgun
Based on past incidents, a photographer must be quite brave to confront a gun-toting Sean Penn. Didn't he have a punch-the-photographer incident when he was with Madonna? I am glad he's helping thought.

~U2Alabama
Old 09-13-2005, 07:09 AM   #405
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama

Didn't he have a punch-the-photographer incident when he was with Madonna? I am glad he's helping thought.

~U2Alabama
Yeah that was a classical scene.. Madonna marrying Sean and the TV station helicopters flying so low that they couldn´t understand. Sean was very, very angry. At some other occasion, he beat up one of them.