MERGED--> Shooter loose on Virginia Tech campus - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2007, 11:14 AM   #301
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan
I can foresee (if it hasn't already started to happen) that students will be required to take "emergency situation" classes to prepare them in the event that something like this occurs.

I find it sad that the number one concern for students and teachers is fast becoming their safety and not their education...
most high schools drill the procedure for various emergency situations, i see no reason why colleges can't as well.

we had a lockdown drill two weeks ago... god willing we never have to use it, but it certainly doesn't hurt to test it before hand.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:28 AM   #302
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by unico

i'm a school administator here at vt. all i'm saying is i witnessed things being carried out very differently when we had a shooter on the loose in August. campus CAN be shut down here very easily, as it was as soon as he was spotted.
And you have a VERY different point of view. I do not have any information as to how the procedures were conducted last August.

To me, a college campus is very different from an elementary school of 600 students. It seems to be a massive entity.

And maybe that should factor in. Has the school been in this situation before? Did they handle it differently? Has there been a change in University Staffing on the police level?

Its all Monday morning QBing right now. An investigation will be conducted, and all will be in the light.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:28 AM   #303
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

most high schools drill the procedure for various emergency situations, i see no reason why colleges can't as well.

we had a lockdown drill two weeks ago... god willing we never have to use it, but it certainly doesn't hurt to test it before hand.
Elementary school sdrill now too.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:35 AM   #304
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan

I find it sad that the number one concern for students and teachers is fast becoming their safety and not their education...
If I can find it I wll post some information about this. In my adminsitrator courses, education was the third thing on parents mind in recent surveys. The number on ething was SAFTEY and SECURITY.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:36 AM   #305
Blue Crack Addict

i think the president just flew over. i don't like him very much. i have to say this is an improvement from his response to the katrina floods...but, this doesn't have quite the same magnitude, so he is still not forgiven, at least by me.
i've been thinking, and i'm really blessed that this has happened only once. i shudder to think about the people who experience something like this almost every day. i can't even imagine going through this every day.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:40 AM   #306
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Mia. You have every right to your own personal emotional responses.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:42 AM   #307
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

If this were pre-Columbine or pre-9/11, I could understand the delay in notification by the police. But I had assumed there was a "err on the side of caution" mentality in place by now.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:26 PM   #308
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat

It sounds like my friend is in stable condition, and that she'll pull through this.

My prayers go out to those who aren't as lucky.
That's good news, Laura.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:31 PM   #309
ONE
love, blood, life

[Q]

It sounds like my friend is in stable condition, and that she'll pull through this.

My prayers go out to those who aren't as lucky. [/Q]

My prayers are with everyone involved. To the friends and families.

Peace
Old 04-17-2007, 12:58 PM   #310
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:31 PM
I'm utterly disgusted by these people. This was posted on the Westboro Baptist Church website. But I found it on a gossip website. If you know about that psycho Shirley Phelps and her daughter well here they are spouting their disgusting and vile hatred. God, I hate these people!!

"WBC will preach at the funerals of the Virginia Tech students killed on campus during a shooting rampage April 16, 2007. You describe this as monumental horror, but you know nothing of horror -- yet. Your bloody tyrant Bush says he is 'horrified' by it all. You know nothing of horror -- yet. Your true horror is coming. 'They shall also gird themselves with sackloth, and horror shall cover them; and shame shall be upon all faces, and baldness upon all their heads' (Eze. 7:18).
Why did this happen, you ask? It's simple. Your military chose to shoot at the servants of God today, and all they got for their effort was terror. Then, the LORD your God sent a crazed madman to shoot at your children. Was God asleep while this took place? Was He on vacation? Of course not. He willed this to happen to punish you for assailing His servants."
Old 04-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #311
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:31 AM
^I don't even know what that means.

Preach the love "reverend". Preach the love.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #312
Blue Crack Supplier

^ why even bother acknowledging such hateful shit?
Old 04-17-2007, 01:22 PM   #313
Blue Crack Addict

He left a note in his dorm room

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3048108

Sources tell ABC News Cho bought his first gun, a Glock 9 millimeter handgun, on March 13; they say he bought his second weapon, a .22 caliber pistol, within the last week. The serial numbers on both guns had been filed off, they said.

Authorities found the receipt for the 9 millimeter handgun in Cho's backpack. They say the bag also contained two knives and additional ammunition for the two guns.

Legal permanent resident aliens may purchase firearms in the state of Virginia. A resident alien must, however, provide additional identification to prove he or she is a resident of the state.

Sections of chain similar to those used to lock the main doors at Norris Hall, the site of the second shooting that left 31 dead, were also found inside a Virginia Tech dormitory, sources confirmed to ABC News.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:22 PM   #314
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
^ why even bother acknowledging such hateful shit?
Exactly. What is the point of it?

Acknowledging it only fuels the fire.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:25 PM   #315
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:31 PM
The mood here at my campus today has been very somber. Lots of people are wearing Tech colors. Everyone has a story to tell of someone they know or a friend of someone they know who has been affected by this. There have also been questions of our own campus security...all the "what ifs" if something like this were to happen here.

However we are all coming together as one. It is amazing to log on to facebook, and see all my friends have changed their profile pictures to something related to Tech, and "We are all Hokies". It feels good to see my school coming together like this. TOnight at 8 we're having a candlelight vigil.

I'll never forget this...I doubt any of us will. The magnitude of it all is still sinking in.