mental illness question - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2004, 03:59 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Golightly Grrl
I've suffered from depression since I was a teenager. I was always a melancholy kid, but when I got into my teens, depression hit me like a truck. Sadly, my parents chose not to get me help and instead treated me as if I was a moral failure or lazy. I didn't get help until I was in my thirties. Sadly, I lost my insurance so I can no longer see my therapist and I no longer have access to meds.
Oh, my goodness.

Old 11-08-2004, 07:04 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:49 PM
There is no reason on God's green earth why a person who is genuinely and chronically ill cannot have access to medical help. My thoughts are with you, GG.

You have to tread very lightly when looking at prescriptions vs. established mental illness. Anti-depressants are drugs which have had a wonderful effect on people who truly need them, but they have also been vastly overprescribed (just like antibiotics) so that they are not any sort of accurate determinant of who is actually clinically ill.

Old 11-09-2004, 08:17 AM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
I've suffered from depression since I was a teenager. I was always a melancholy kid, but when I got into my teens, depression hit me like a truck. Sadly, my parents chose not to get me help and instead treated me as if I was a moral failure or lazy. I didn't get help until I was in my thirties. Sadly, I lost my insurance so I can no longer see my therapist and I no longer have access to meds.
I'm so sorry.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:31 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

to all those without insurance, there are state services available to you. i don't have health insurance either, just catostrophic, but i saw a counselor last summer after having a very, very difficult year in 2003. i was able to do it via a sliding scale, whereby they look at your monthly income, and have some sort of formula to determine how much you can pay. and if your income is very low, you might only have to pay $5 a session. i wound up paying $50 for a session (a third the price of a regular therapist) and it helped me immensely. you cannot get medication, and i didn't need any meds (just someone to talk to), but this is better than nothing, and lots can be accomplished through talk therapy.

this is what our tax dollars go towards, my fellow Americans! i come from a well-to-do background, but with no insurance at my job (documentary filmmaking), i needed the services of the state. and i am a much happier person for it.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:38 PM   #20
Refugee

Thanks for all of your kinds words. My depression often gets triggered during high moments of stress. Right now I'm in my last semester of college, dealing with a huge case of senioritis, and hoping I can make it to graduation day without having a nervous breakdown. I just can't get passionate about my classes which kills me because I have a strong academic reputation.

I'm doing an internship that ends next month. The internship is okay but I really need to get a job. I'm broke. My savings are dwindling and my parents, who initially said they would help me during this time, have pretty much reneged. I'm also worried about finding a decent paying job after graduation. I can go back to doing temp work and I have a few people who can connect me to some job leads but there is no guarantee.

And the election results have not left me a happy camper. And it didn't help that on election day my dad left a condescending, rude message on my voice mail telling me to get off my butt and vote and I better vote Republican. And he was serious. I'm not allowed to have my own ideas and opinions. Yea, my dad is a serious asshole. My friends can't stand him.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:00 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Thanks for all of your kinds words. My depression often gets triggered during high moments of stress. Right now I'm in my last semester of college, dealing with a huge case of senioritis, and hoping I can make it to graduation day without having a nervous breakdown. I just can't get passionate about my classes which kills me because I have a strong academic reputation.

I'm doing an internship that ends next month. The internship is okay but I really need to get a job. I'm broke. My savings are dwindling and my parents, who initially said they would help me during this time, have pretty much reneged. I'm also worried about finding a decent paying job after graduation. I can go back to doing temp work and I have a few people who can connect me to some job leads but there is no guarantee.

And the election results have not left me a happy camper. And it didn't help that on election day my dad left a condescending, rude message on my voice mail telling me to get off my butt and vote and I better vote Republican. And he was serious. I'm not allowed to have my own ideas and opinions. Yea, my dad is a serious asshole. My friends can't stand him.

when i was depressed, these were the words i wanted to hear, and i'm going to say them to you: i am so sorry, it sounds like you have a lot of difficult things to deal with, and i wish you the best of luck.

sometimes, just having someone acknowledge the fact that you are in a tough situation is helpful. i know it was for me.

the good thing, though, is that you are at a university, and there must be resources available. use them while you still have them, and don't forget state-assisted support, as it really helped me, and that's what they're there for.

and remember: this, too, shall pass. you will find a way through. there are people who love you. and there are people who are rooting for you and believe in you. this is now, but it will not be forever, and all you can do is wake up each morning and fight a new day, and when the day is over, let it go and rest so you can take on the next day.