medications for depression? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 05-16-2002, 11:52 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 10:24 AM
Originally posted by paxetaurora:
And what about self-medicating depression? Specifically I am thinking of St. John's Wort; has anyone here tried it?
I have tried St Johns Wort but I didn;t really think it made a difference for me. It make the Pill ineffective ladies so use caution if you are taking it.

Mental illness runs in my family. My grandma was given electro shock therapy because she was diagnosed with a cronic pain disorder that doctors could not find the source of. She was also depressed because no one believed her pain was real. The EST helped a little. She also tried a number of other drugs.
My mother has clinical depression. She let it get so bad that she became a manic depressive. I hated her for not wanting to get help for herself. Finally my father got a recommendation from a coworker and made an appointment for her. Her doctor could not believe she was on such a low dose of antidepressants. Since she's started seeing him she's gotten better. Her manic episodes has ceased and she takes her medication as perscribed. I think she has to take the medication for the long haul because of genetic issues, I don't really know though.
I am terrified this will happen to me. I've been depressed but not abnormally. Like I said above I've tried St Johns Wort and it didn't work for me but others swear by it. I wouldn't be opposed to taking some sort of medication if I needed it though.

Old 05-19-2002, 01:42 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 11:24 AM
Late last year, I was diagnosed with "double depression." That meant that I had developed a full-blown depression on top of a low-grade depression that had already existed.

I was on Prozac at first, but it made me do impulsive things, i.e., quit a job. Granted, the job had gone from bad to worse within a few months, but still...! I was switched to Celexa, and I have found that this medication works far, far better for me. I am far more patient, say, when waiting on a's little annoyances don't bother me as much. And I'm happy to report that, contrary to popular belief, I can still experience great highs in my mood. I'd heard this type of medication kept you from experiencing highs as well as lows, but I haven't found that.

I am also in therapy. I have a wonderful therapist who really is helping me a lot. Next week I am switching into a group therapy session. I still have my depressive moments, but they are easier to overcome than without the meds.

The one thing people really have to watch out for on meds is that you don't get too much distance from life. It's been explained to me that anti-depressants help you get a little distance, so you can more easily look at your problems objectively and figure out how to solve them. I've known people who have gotten too much distance from meds, and who live in a happy little fantasy world while their real world is a disaster. I've asked my friends and family to let me know if I seem to be acting this way, and so far, I seem to function okay in the real world.

Anti-depressant medication might not be for everyone, but I know it's helped me.

Old 05-19-2002, 06:31 PM   #18
gosh I didn't expect this much or these personal stories, thank you guys for having the courage to share all of that. From what I read about your personal experiences, the scenario is really very different for every person. It is just something I have an interest in, probably because I am afraid of depression myself, and the way that you become so emtionally involved in it that it has a way of screwing up the facts.

but thank you all of you, that probably took a lot of guts for some of you.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:39 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
BG, I'm not trying to push drugs here, honestly...but after months of thinking I was literally going insane, and changing my diet, exercising, using sleeping pills, St. John's wort, etc., nothing worked. I know depression runs in my family, and I knew I wasn't 'myself' and needed help. My Dr. put me on a very low dosage of Zoloft and I CAN'T TELL YOU what a relief it has been. I'm back to my former self: more 'even keeled', happier, more stable, less anxious, less stressed out, less WACKED OUT, I don't cry at the drop of a hat, little things don't upset me any's been a Godsend. I have absolutely no side effects from the stuff either...even my family has noticed the difference.

Don't jump right into anything immediately, but talk to your doctor in depth about how you are feeling and what might be right for YOU. Godspeed! (((hugs)))
Old 05-20-2002, 06:44 PM   #20
The Fly
Local Time: 09:24 AM
My father was a manic-depressant resulting from his tour in Vietnam.

The V.A. (Veterans Administration) had him on Thorazine and Lithium for over 20 years.

He passed away in '96 at the age of 46. His death resulted from heart failure but he had chronic cirrhosis of the liver.

He was not a drinker.

What am I trying to say?

Our livers are filters for all the impurities we put in our bodies. I know that the medications they use these days for Depression are less harsh on the liver but,.......I would do some investigating!

[This message has been edited by whammy (edited 05-21-2002).]
Old 05-25-2002, 10:14 PM   #21
MacPhisto's serving wench
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees:
Medications for depression are, in most cases, designed for short-term use
My mom has OCD and depression. She wasn't herself. Things gradually started slipping away...her job, daily chores, etc. Celexa brought her back somewhat. It gave her less anxiety.

Unfortunately, the doctordoesn't think that she'll be able to function w/out it. She tried Prozac but it made her moody and anxious. Her medication IS NOT for short term use...not if she wants to function like a normal person. She attends counselling twice a week, but not everything can be corrected by talking to a psychiatrist. Talking will never make my mother stop having teh urge to check things over and over.

While I hate taking medications...and hate long term use, Ithink that this is the only solution. Some people can clearlynot function without them. Trust me. It's very easy to say "Stop taking those. Just live with it," but I've seen it tear someone apart...driving them insane.

Medications are used to treat diseases.

Old 06-05-2002, 01:10 AM   #22
The Fly
Local Time: 07:24 AM
If I were someone who was habitually depressed, I would rather make DRASTIC changes to my lifestyle, and to my spiritual state, before I resorted to being medicated 24/7.
Old 06-05-2002, 06:07 AM   #23
Forum Moderator
Local Time: 11:24 AM
I suffered with depression for a long time. It seems I've finally gotten things on the right track though. I never got meds though. I know some folks on meds, and it just fucked them up even worse.
"Knight in shining Zubaz."

Bonochick [at]
Old 06-06-2002, 06:38 AM   #24
love, blood, life
Local Time: 03:24 PM
Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing

While I hate taking medications...and hate long term use, Ithink that this is the only solution. Some people can clearlynot function without them. Trust me. It's very easy to say "Stop taking those. Just live with it," but I've seen it tear someone apart...driving them insane.

Medications are used to treat diseases.

I know that - it's why I said "in most cases" anti-depressants are designed for short-term use. I take long-term medication myself so I'm definitely not about to tell anyone else to stop taking their medication.

I was commenting on the tendency of some doctors to give patients who are depressed a prescription for anti-depressants and just keep giving them a repeat of that prescription every month for year after year, instead of taking the trouble to get them the help they actually need - ie counselling, referal to a doctor specifically trained to deal with their problems, and yes, in some cases, long-term anti-depressant or other psychiatric medications.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:47 AM   #25
Local Time: 04:24 PM
Originally posted by meriphew
If I were someone who was habitually depressed, I would rather make DRASTIC changes to my lifestyle, and to my spiritual state, before I resorted to being medicated 24/7.
That's a nice idea, but one of the problems with depression is that it tends to render one unable to make such changes until the condition is treated successfully.